• Advertisement

How long will you stick around?

To serve and protect. This is the place for cops who believe that message and take their job seriously. APN recognizes officers who care about and defend their communities

Moderators: mmpaints, BATTLEBOY SURPLUS

How long will you stick around?

Postby Chester Copperpot » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:44 pm

How long will you stick around when the SHTF? I know that's a broad question and could depend on many factors, but there's got to be a line. Look at Katrina...cops were getting shot at daily and they were not protected in their patrol cars. Many LEO's left. How long will you stay?
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.
Chester Copperpot
South Carolina Preppers Network

Re: How long will you stick around?

Postby Frozennorth » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:53 pm

I think that depends on your situation. If you have a BOL you will bug out and not have to worry about that. If you are a bug in person this will depend on your ability to defend your keep. I can assure you that I would not be out driving around in cars. I understand that LEOs have a job and responsibilities, but as you mentioned they left when it got hairy. We all have that little voice that tells you when to roll out. Just make sure that you do so before you are stuck in a worsening situation. Preparation is key, that is why you are here and what will help to keep you alive.
"Instead of calling it the Patriot Act, they should have called it the Repeal of the Fourth Amendment Act." Ron Paul

"We must all hang together, or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately." Benjamin Franklin
Frozennorth
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby panzerfahre » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:00 pm

I think most rural LEOs will stay and do their duty. And there will be true heroes among them. Urban centers will have a few that stay, but they are large departments and really too disconnected from the people to keep many.

p
Always open to meeting Missouri preppers.
Contact through this forum.
panzerfahre

Postby Chester Copperpot » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm

panzerfahre wrote:I think most rural LEOs will stay and do their duty. And there will be true heroes among them. Urban centers will have a few that stay, but they are large departments and really too disconnected from the people to keep many.

p

Agreed. I think rural LEO's will be more poised to stage a longer stay than urban folks. Urban areas will become all-out war with no law. I believe you are onto something and that rural communities will become well defended places that will begin to rebuild quickest. People will more likely band together when they're not on top of each other, plus duty will be more personal there. Good call! I look forward to more LEO's weighing in.

I probably should have stressed that this is a question directed at law enforcement officers.
Chester Copperpot

Postby contrarian » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:23 pm

I will bug in unless something happens to the home or major infrastructure. Bugging out would require leaving too many resources needed to survive.

This is a tough call for many of us, but hunkering down is the better solution for many of us.
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby fedorthedog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:16 pm

If you mean at work until over half of the others are gone.
fedorthedog

Postby Happy Prepper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:26 am

If anyone seriously has a plan to bug out with just a backpack and become a refugee as Plan A, they need a new Plan A.
We can do great things.

Let's start now!
Happy Prepper

Postby leapgilm » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:16 pm

This is something i have thought about..not sure of an answer. I wan't to do my job and protect my community. I also want to protect my family and that is my number one concern.
leapgilm

Postby Chester Copperpot » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:40 am

I agree with you leapgilm, making the decision to draw that line between family and duty would be difficult. I know one thing though...cops who stick with other cops will stand a much better chance of surviving any government breakdown or disaster incident than many others. Your team and department is already a family of warriors. If the SHTF make sure you have a plan to keep in contact no matter what. A local suburban police force will be a formidable force in harsh times. Maybe talk about this with some of your closest partners. If you ever have to split, doing it all together would be the best way to go. I know it would be almost as hard to leave any of my work family behind as it would my real family. Always keep to the blue line.
Chester Copperpot

Postby MrDanB » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:12 am

I will stay here until I feel I can't do it safely any longer. All depends on circumstances. It is good to think about the different scenarios that could happen. That way, you will already KNOW what to do and when to do it! Bugging out is a last resort for me, but I DO have multiple plans in place if those set of cards get dealt to me...
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby Tobor » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:33 am

dont get me wrong i like the brave boys in blue but i dont see them doing the cop thing after EMP or complete collapse..if we are talking normal disasters hurricane flood twister yes some will and some wont but its because the normal will return in a few months..paychecks will still happen supplies and fuel will still be available etc..but after an EMP event the cop is gonna be walking the beat or if he/she is lucky a horse to ride..if you break it down by turf city/town cops will be ale to patrol a town on foot or horse fairly well..county cops/sheriffs not so well state boys impossible..cops have become tech animals anymore they have cars radios computers linked to massive databases.. none which will be available so they will have to go back to the old ways of personally knowing thier turf and everyone on it..
Tobor

Postby ginnjen » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:26 pm

This is something that sticks in my head. We live in the city and I look at the house we just bought less than a year ago and wonder just how easy or not it will be to stay, but bugging out also seems like it would just make matters ever worse. Do I defend until I die or die where I have nothing? Great thread
ginnjen

Postby Scoutmaster » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:08 am

ginnjen wrote:This is something that sticks in my head. We live in the city and I look at the house we just bought less than a year ago and wonder just how easy or not it will be to stay, but bugging out also seems like it would just make matters ever worse. Do I defend until I die or die where I have nothing? Great thread

Don't know what part of the country you are in, But I was in much the same spot as you are a few years ago before I retired,( I spent most of 35 years in the field) First let me say I always told my commanding officers" If something Very bad happens I am gone My family comes first.

It use to be a fellow officers would go over and keep track of them for you if you were not home and had to work. Again not any more.

That was in the later years. I have seen how command treats the troops most have no concerns for what happens to your family’s And since that time people have gotten more violent and do some very bad things to others for sure your wife’s and daughter’s, so it is without question keep the family safe first.

I truly feel sorry for you younger guys and what you must go through. It use to be every one had the others back, even to the death not any more.

But back to the subject Bug out. I learned during the East coast black out ( now many years ago) that My suburban home was no place to be. I have sense then set up a bug out location. And as you know from Leo experience a person most go there with in the first 24 hrs while local Law enforcement regroups. and every one settles in.If you have it set up ( the BOL)the wife and kids can go there even if you stay at work. But it would take a dozen fellow officers to defend the normal suburban home 24/7.

Many of you here are not old enough to remember the Detroit riots, well nothing was safe that was in the path of the looters, The national Guard had problems keeping them contained. The stuff that was reported on the news was BS I have personal knowledge of what happened. For several days it was a war.

So if you are around a population anywhere I would suggest a bug out location for your family.Even if it is just a hunting cabin, with out running water. They can be very comfortable, If you have most of your preps allready there packing can be very quick.

It would take weeks for the looters to reach those far out locations, if they ever get there. They( your familey) will be there( with you) for years, unlike most of the new age ( no offense) department’s. or what they have become. If you want to go back to work after they are safe thats great. But take care of them first. No one else will.

Just my personal thoughts after years of first hand knowledge
PREPPERS SAVE THE EXCUSES, IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING TIME, IT'S ABOUT MAKING TIME, IF IT MATTERS YOU WILL HAVE TIME
Every one has priorities, different for each of us, main reasons most of us can not form a group that will last our priorities are all different so are you. REMEMBER, IF YOUR PREP PRIORITIES ARE LOWER THEN THE PEOPLE YOU CAN'T WORK WITH, THEY MIGHT MAKE IT AND YOU WON'T, DON'T BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING YOU HELP LATER, WHEN YOU FAIL LATER AND YOUR IN TROUBLE. BLAME YOUR PRIORITIES.
Scoutmaster
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby prepper11 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:54 am

My thought on this is that if you have a BOL then go there at the first sign of serious trouble. If it blows over you can always come back. The longer you wait the more difficult getting there will become. Katrina is our best indicator of how things will go in a SHTF situation in the future.

Unfortunately very few people have a BOL. The stats I have seen say that the US has about 3 Million preppers. That is less than 1% of the population. Of that 1% how many actually have a BOL? I am guessing (just a guess) less than one in four. So the reality for the overwhelming majority of preppers specifically and the population in general is that we will bug in.

I would be surprised in rural areas if most abled bodied peopled did not show up at town centers to offer aid and assistance to LEO's/ First Responders/Fire Fighters/Town Fathers. Security will not be too much of an issue initially. I believe that food, water and medical supplies will be relatively more available than in big urban centers because people make less trips to the store (as such have more supplies on hand), gardening, animal husbandry (even if on small scale) occurs more often and sources of water/fire wood are relatively more easy to find (at least this is true here in New England). The lower population density will consume these resources more slowly than in higher population density areas. The closer to an urban center one gets though, the less likely/more difficult it will become to deal with an event.

What I think this question really puts a spotlight on is the critical need to organize and train in advance. It is clear to me at least, that a lone wolfe plan unless it is coupled with total seclusion, will probably not work. Thousands of years of human history tell us that people who congregate for the purpose of protection and division of labor are the ones who survived and thrived.

Having thought about this after reading the OP my thought is this. Take a really objective look around where you live. The higher the percentage of responsible self-sufficient/hard working people you are surrounded by, the better off you are. If you live in place where a lot of people are making a habit of living off the system (not just getting temporary help getting past a bad time) the more jeopardy you are in. IMHO people with an entitlement mentality will look at you as the new provider of their entitlements once the government fails to provide for them. People who have a history of providing for themselves will continue to behave in that manner (without resorting to deprived actions) while adapting to the circumstances.

Thought provoking question Chester Copperpot. Now is definitely the time to figure out the answer.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
prepper11
New Hampshire Preppers Network
New Hampshire Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:24 pm

How long will I stick around? I will leave work and the city if there is even a rumor of a problem. If you wait till you see problems - then it is too late to get out. There are no jobs or duties that are greater then your duties to yourself and your family. DaSwampman
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Next

Return to Law Enforcement Officers