• Advertisement

NC Forum Camping Trip

Post North Carolina Meetups and Events Here

Moderator: maustypsu

NC Forum Camping Trip

Postby Vina8 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:58 pm

There are some of us who are planning a camping trip/meet up on June 19 someplace in NC. So far it is me and DH, Whisper (his wife?), a friend of his, and maustypsu. We would love to have other forum members join us. Please let me know if you are interested. Alaska Rose, you come on down and join us! We would like to use this as an opportunity to get to know one another, share some survival skills (Whisper may show us how to use his slingshot), and have a rippin' good time.

We also need some help identifying a good place to camp. So far we appear to be from the Raleigh area and south of there over to the Hickory area. If anyone has a suggestion for a great camping site, please let us know even if you can't make the trip this time. I moved here last year from Arizona so all the good camping places I know are about 2000 miles away! Zombie Ax, do you know of anyplace? We would love it if you can make it.

Come on NC preppers, step up and let us know you are there! We are pretty friendly!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Re: NC Forum Camping Trip

Postby Whisper » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:51 pm

Question, In NJ, the state parks had free camping sites. I don't mean the kind where 50 or 100 people gather. I mean every couple of miles, there would be a place to pull in and camp for just the people in your party. Is there anything like that here in NC?

Even if you don't want to go, we would appreciate it if someone knew the answer.
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:23 am

Can you search the State Park website? They should have information there about it.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:36 am

Thanks AR! I should have thought of it myself!

Falls Lake State Recreation Area - Heartland
Expansive reservoir and woodlands, habitat for diversity of animals, including American bald eagles. More than 400 campsites: 176 tent, trailer and recreational vehicle campsites with hookups; 99 tent, trailer and recreational vehicle campsites without hookups; 89 backpack campsites; 18 group tent campsites; showers, dump stations. More than 20 picnic shelters. Interpretive programs, lake fishing and swimming, 10 boat ramps, privately operated marina nearby. Lakeside trail: 12 miles of hiking trails, more than six miles of bicycling trails.

Jordan Lake State Recreation Area - Heartland
Popular 13,900-acre reservoir, scenic vistas of lake and shoreline, home to American bald eagles. Lake fishing and swimming, 32 boat ramps, privately operated marina nearby. More than 1,000 tent, trailer and recreational vehicle campsites, 690 sites with hookups; showers; dump stations; 24 backpack campsites; 11 group tent campsites, group trailer campsite. Ten picnic shelters, 16 miles of hiking trails.

Kerr Lake State Recreation Area - Heartland
Expansive reservoir with 200-mile shoreline crossing North Carolina/Virginia state line. Nearly 700 tent, trailer and recreational vehicle campsites, 342 with hookups; showers; dump stations; three group tent campsites. Lake fishing, accessible fishing pier, 14 boat ramps, two privately operated marinas nearby. Picnic shelters, more than two miles of hiking trails. Visitor's center, interpretive programs.

Lake Norman State Park - Heartland
State's largest manmade lake at 32,510 acres. Boat ramp, lake fishing. Rowboat, canoe and pedal boat rentals, swimming and fishing on 33-acre lake inside park. More than 30 tent, trailer and recreational vehicle campsites; showers, dump station; two group backpack campsites. Community building, picnic shelters, interpretive programs, more than seven miles of hiking trails.

Medoc Mountain State Park - Heartland
Exposed rock outcrops, bluffs; steep topography, rocks, minerals unusual to Piedmont. More than 10 miles of hiking trails. Thirty-four tent, trailer and recreational vehicle campsites, 12 with hookups; showers; three group tent campsites. Canoe access, creek fishing, picnicking, interpretive programs.

Morrow Mountain State Park - Heartland
Mountains up to 936 feet, peaceful lake. More than 100 tent, trailer and recreational vehicle campsites; showers, dump station; four backpack campsites; six cabins; six group tent campsites. Pool, boat ramp, lake fishing, canoe and rowboat rentals. Three picnic shelters, 16 miles of hiking trails including 15 miles of bridle trails. Visitor's center, interpretive programs.

William B. Umstead State Park - Heartland
Hardwood forest oasis in urban Triangle region, creeks, lakes, extensive trail network with scenic overlooks. Nearly 30 tent and trailer campsites; showers; two group tent campsites; two group campsites with cabins and kitchen. Nearly 20 miles of hiking trails, including nearly 13 miles of bridle and bicycle trails. Lake fishing, rowboat and canoe rentals. Four picnic shelters, visitor center, exhibit hall, interpretive programs.
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Whisper » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:39 am

First link

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/by_activity/main.php

Results Second Link

http://149.168.1.195/act/findPub.php

I don't know the areas that well. I think a phone call during the day will be needed to make sure that a site is available that we can reserve and not grouped in with other people.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:45 am

I had looked at most of those last week, but the problem is not having any personal experience with any of them. It would be great if someone would give us a personal recommendation. If not, we'll just pick one that sounds the most interesting and convenient.

BTW, here is a link to a national forest which allows camping outside of the campgrounds. http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation ... /index.htm
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:55 am

We excuse me! :floppytongue: I should have guest. :yawn:

Nice job MTM. :thumbsup:
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:15 am

:blush: I didn't mean to imply your research was unhelpful! Your summary of each park is excellent. Like I said, we may just have to blindly pick one on how it sounds.

maustypsu and RavenNtwng, do you all have any ideas for a good location for a camp out?
Vina8

Postby Gen-IL Homesteader » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:37 am

Oh man, this sounds fun! I would love to make it, but unfortunately I will be processing chickens that day--about 90 of them! We'll be a bit busy! Have fun and let us know how it goes!
Gen-IL Homesteader
Illinois State Moderator
Illinois State Moderator

Postby RavenNtwng » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:05 pm

I have no idea where there are good camping areas. I just moved here last summer and we have spent the past year just trying to get it all together, know what I mean?
RavenNtwng

Postby Vina8 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:05 pm

RavenNtwng wrote:I have no idea where there are good camping areas. I just moved here last summer and we have spent the past year just trying to get it all together, know what I mean?

Hah, you are in exactly the situation that Whisper and I are in. That's why we need some help from the NC natives!
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:34 pm

MountainMama wrote::blush: I didn't mean to imply your research was unhelpful! Your summary of each park is excellent. Like I said, we may just have to blindly pick one on how it sounds.

maustypsu and RavenNtwng, do you all have any ideas for a good location for a camp out?

I bet ZA has a clue!

MountainMama - I didn't think about it. If I had, I would have known that you had already covered that route and was just as clueless as me about this great state. But believe me, I am more clueless about NC. I haven't traveled around much. So, you didn't imply that my research was unhelpful. I have no doubt that if you thought that it was "unhelpful," you would have wrote something like, Whisper, that was "unhelpful" or what are you an idiot! Of course I though of that already! or well you get the picture. :D
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:54 am

A park that you could go camp in without being in an organized campground around others sounds really the best, to me. Of course, since I won't be there, that is easy for me to pick, LOL. I've never camped in an organized campground, seems a lot like town living?
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby geosnake » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:37 am

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum, from Johnston County. I work in Raleigh as a geologist for the DOT. I spent all of my master's research in the southern Blue Ridge, south of Asheville, and there are some AWESOME, somewhat remote places outside of Brevard, NC. I used to spend an average of 75-100 nights/year in my tent in the NC mtns and learned a lot about where to go and not to go.

I guess my first question is what kind of ammenaties are you looking for on a weekend excursion? Do you want to keep it simple and use hand-dug latrine and nature, or do you want flushing toilets w/ running water. There are some good places to "disappear" if everyone could come to agreement on what they are looking for. Next, do you want to try and make it a central NC location? Again, plenty of good spots and some good group camping areas, just need to plan ahead and reserve space.

I'll check back in a day or so.
geosnake

Postby Vina8 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:58 am

I love you, geosnake! Image Speaking for myself and Whisper (anyone else who wants to come camping, chime in), we prefer primitive style camping away from the noise and people in an organized campground. So far no one seems to live further west than the Hickory area, so for convenience, should find a place not too far west for this trip. Any recommendations would be very helpful to us.

I am very happy to find out we have a geologist on the forum. I imagine you have some great information and stories about NC and hope you will share with us. We would welcome you on our camping meet up, if you can make it.
Vina8

Next

Return to North Carolina Meetups