• Advertisement

Kick Start NC Preppers Forum

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderator: maustypsu

Kick Start NC Preppers Forum

Postby Vina8 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Hello Everyone. We take prepping pretty seriously but aren't equipped to do the full-blown homesteading that some folks are doing. We have found some good resources around here but haven't identified any other preppers close by. It is not something we want to advertise for obvious reasons. I love the American Preppers Network Forum, but there are some issues and questions that I have that are more local. Please post here and let me know if anyone cares to participate in this NC Forum. I have visited some other state forums that are very active and full of information. You can't tell me that there is ANY state that has more expertise in the prepper lifestyle than NC!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Re: Kick Start NC Preppers Forum

Postby pmurphy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:04 am

I would like to participate in the NC forum but it appears we are from opposite end of the state. I live on the coast. I have only been prepping for about a year now and have learned a lot but could always use more information. I hope this forum takes off and we can learn of some instate reasources.
pmurphy

Postby Vina8 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:33 am

Hi, pmurphy. I am glad to know you are out there! I imagine your plans must include prep for hurricanes. We know we may get some of it here.

Let's keep an eye on this forum and see if we can't stir up some interest. Thanks, P.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby pmurphy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:29 pm

We live near the Morehead City area. My husband is a commercial fishereman so some of our prep stuff is a part of our life. Hurricains are a part of our life and we spent Hurricane Hugo in the bulls eye in South Carolina. I don't have much time to work on our prep but I figure you must start somewhere. So I have gathered some things together and am begining to learn as much as possible.
pmurphy

Postby Zombie Axe » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:48 am

Howdy Folks,

Just wanted to say howdy from the Western Piedmont. I will check back in here often as work keeps me busy! I keep a blog from time to time at www.zombieaxe.blogspot.com in case you wanna read some more stuff.

Take it easy and 73!

Later,
ZA
www.zombieaxe.blogspot.com
Zombie Axe
North Carolina A.N.T.S. Member
North Carolina A.N.T.S. Member

Postby Vina8 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:29 pm

Welcome Zombie Axe. I went to your blog and enjoyed it very much. I appreciate your comments and pictures of the STABILicers. They are going on my list. I also had to smile at your pictures and descriptions of the ice and snow storms. I look forward to following your blog and hope you will do some posts here.
Vina8

Postby maustypsu » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:50 pm

I'm in the Raleigh area. Just found the site through another forum I belong to. Basically, I was asking how to find folks nearby who were likeminded and was sent here. Glad I found it.
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator
North Carolina State Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Welcome, Maustypsu. I am happy you found us. I think you will find that the APN Forum is a very good place to learn about prepping and to share your expertise. The NC Forum is the most active state forum, so we hope you will help keep us going. We are a pretty friendly group.
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Welcome maustypsu! It's a great place to be and it's growing fast. Feel free to post any questions. It's a great group of people.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Earthbound » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:22 pm

My ancestors left NC 240 years ago to come to SC. I lived in Raleigh for 7 years before returning to SC. Visited the NC mtns so much as a kid w/ family that I felt at home there. I hope y'all are doing better with preppers than us - I'm disappointed in the slacks and loafers in SC. Maybe I'll bug out to the mtns.
Earthbound
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Vina8 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks for droppin' in, neighbor! Don't get discouraged about your fellow SC folks. A few of us just started putting posts up on the NC Forum pretty regularly until others joined us. Some folks are a little more hesitant to jump in on a forum than others and will "hover" for awhile until they start feeling comfortable. If you just post some things that might be of local or regional interest, you might be surprised the response you get. But if you want to, you sure can join us. As I once mentioned in another thread, we aren't so cool that we can afford to be exclusive.
Vina8

Postby skawshbug » Sun May 30, 2010 6:58 pm

I am also in the Raleigh area. I am taking the prepper stuff seriously, too. I started off by planting fruit/nut trees on my suburban lawn several years ago, and in the summer, now, with my garden, we produce pretty much all of our fruits and vegetables.

The permacultural approach does work pretty well. For example, my blackberries and rasberries are creeping nicely across the lawn, and we are still eating fig jam every day from last year.

But we have a long way to go. I have never tried a fall/winter garden, but maybe this will be the year.

I would definitely be interested in meeting some locals interested in the gardening and canning aspects of prepper. I am also interested in discussing religion/politics, but realize that can be tricky. (I often find that it is better to co-operate in areas where there is common ground, even if the person has very different political beliefs. Both liberals and conservatives like fresh veggies. And I have been pleasantly surprised that leftist hippies and rightist survivalists actually have a fair bit in common when it comes to food.
skawshbug

Postby Vina8 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:18 pm

skawshbug wrote:I am also in the Raleigh area. I am taking the prepper stuff seriously, too. I started off by planting fruit/nut trees on my suburban lawn several years ago, and in the summer, now, with my garden, we produce pretty much all of our fruits and vegetables.

The permacultural approach does work pretty well. For example, my blackberries and rasberries are creeping nicely across the lawn, and we are still eating fig jam every day from last year.

But we have a long way to go. I have never tried a fall/winter garden, but maybe this will be the year.

I would definitely be interested in meeting some locals interested in the gardening and canning aspects of prepper. I am also interested in discussing religion/politics, but realize that can be tricky. (I often find that it is better to co-operate in areas where there is common ground, even if the person has very different political beliefs. Both liberals and conservatives like fresh veggies. And I have been pleasantly surprised that leftist hippies and rightist survivalists actually have a fair bit in common when it comes to food.

Welcome to our NC forum, skawshbug! You are doing very well with your preps! Last year we planted onions and kale in the fall and got some crop from it into November. The big surprise was that they survived through the winter and we are still eating from that fall planting. We plan on doing quite a bit more this fall to experiment with other things.

Don't apologize for wanting to discuss politics and religion. We have forums specifically for both of those subjects.
Politics: viewforum.php?f=8
Faith: viewforum.php?f=152

Regarding the common interests of the hippies and survivalists, it made me laugh. I have noticed the same thing. Simplify, recycle, reuse, reduce, grow and eat naturally, avoid disposables/paper products, make your own (fill in the blank), etc.

I hope you will be active on our forum. We have a reputation for having a good time here, and try to make everyone feel welcome. Let me know if you have any questions.
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Sun May 30, 2010 8:56 pm

skawshbug wrote:I am also in the Raleigh area. I am taking the prepper stuff seriously, too. I started off by planting fruit/nut trees on my suburban lawn several years ago, and in the summer, now, with my garden, we produce pretty much all of our fruits and vegetables.

Welcome to the NC form skawshbug. I'm not surprised about the food thing. Most hippies were into nature and most conservatives, by number are farmers and middle class with gardens. What kind of Nut tries are you growing? I panted many fruit trees when I moved to PA. I moved 8 years later when they were just getting big enough to produce edible fruit! :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: BTW, how long did your fruit and nut trees take to produce?
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Whisper » Sun May 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Oh, another thing. This isn't really a survivalist board in the sense of what many think of survivalist. Were all preppers.There maybe a couple here and there, but there not like the connotation that survivalist have had in the past. Here, we all look at all the things needed to be prepared equally, rather than guns and killing being 90% of it all or at least the way survivalist are thought of. Which is unfair to many of the survivalist. But don't get me wrong. Many here, including me, love a good gun thread as much as a good gardening, rabbit, carp, alternative energy, shelter... You get the idea. :thumbsup: Your in for a great adventure! We all learn from each other and enjoy passing on knowledge.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Check In Here North Carolina Preppers