• Advertisement

Kick Start NC Preppers Forum

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderator: maustypsu

Re: Kick Start NC Preppers Forum

Postby tanstaafl72555 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi all. New from Durham. Interested in a network of people who might be interested in everything from "in situ" prep to the more "teotwawki" run for the hills scenarios. I am a long term gold and silver guy, as well as a pretty intense gunner. Have just begun storing some MREs and putting aside some 5 gallon food buckets. No articles for daily living, no bug out plans, no .... well, no "lots of stuff"

I have a long way to go and a whole lot to learn.
tanstaafl72555

Postby Whisper » Mon May 31, 2010 6:24 pm

Welcome tanstaafl, it sounds like you have a good start! You may already know more then you think. There are a lot of good people around here. Post away!

Also, I hear that silver is going to be better then gold. What's your thought's on that?
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:46 pm

I just said welcome to you on another thread before I saw this one. You have some great experience and knowledge. There is a lot of good information available here to help you with those things that you haven't gotten done yet. Just shout out if you have any questions.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Sam » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:29 pm

Anyone in the Winston Salem area
Sam

Postby Sam » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:31 pm

Food / fuel will have value
Sam

Postby Sam » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 pm

I have a place for meeting.
Sam

Postby Sam » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:34 pm

Anyone have real time knowledge of all this stuff
Sam

Postby Vina8 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Sam wrote:Anyone have real time knowledge of all this stuff

We are further west, Sam. You are right about food and fuel being of value, both for personal use and as a bartering item.

I am unsure what you mean by your question above. There are several of us on the NC forum and many on the APN forum who have quite a bit of knowledge and experience in various aspects of prepping. However, none of us know it all and are always learning from each other. I am glad you are becoming an active member of this community and will continue to contribute.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi Sam, Welcome to the forum. I am your closest Prepper. I think we are about 45 minutes apart. I will PM you.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Donna » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:07 pm

Sam wrote:Anyone in the Winston Salem area

Hi Sam!
I think I recently 'phone met' you. (o:

Welcome!!!

I know of others in the area, not sure of the 'reasons' behind their prepping, but they are. One main one is health reasons...but they are wonderful people.

Maybe I'll try to get you guys connected.
Best Blessings and enJOY the journey!
Joseph & Donna Miller
http://www.MillersGrainHouse.com/store & http://www.PREPAREMag.com
Donna

Postby Donna » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Sam wrote:Anyone have real time knowledge of all this stuff

As in .... when to be 'ready' by?
What exactly do you mean by 'real time knowledge' and 'all this stuff'?
Sorry... I'm not quite tracking with the question.... :blush:
Best Blessings and enJOY the journey!
Joseph & Donna Miller
http://www.MillersGrainHouse.com/store & http://www.PREPAREMag.com
Donna

Postby Mitty » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:36 am

Hi all,
New to the site. We are economic/enviromental doomers and looking to start our doomstead. The hubby would like to get into the gun thing, but I am the one who was a Marine. We are liberalish in our politics and shake our heads at both parties. We believe God is good but religion is evil. I am not sure we fit with the prepper movement because of our liberalish veiws. I like having roads , think we should look out for others and don't mind paying taxes. We also stick to ourselves. We love to go camping (though as I get older it has become more "cushie" camping), attemping to grow a garden, and I like to follow the world of macroeconomics.
In other words we are pretty boring.
Mitty

Postby maustypsu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 pm

Mitty, let me say welcome politely before we bang heads down the road!!! :floppytongue:

This site isn't about politics and I don't know why prepping is dominated by conservatives and religious folks. I wouldn't fall under most people's definition of either.

I hate paying taxes and hate that you make me do it, but I don't hate you. I too like roads and bridges and fire departments, as do most Americans. But we disagree when it comes to the fact that you force me to pay for arts, useless "research", tunnels for turtles, staffs for congress members whose sole job it is to 'call the electorate' (in other words raise money for the next campaign) and other such theft of my money. At the same time I bet I'm more socially liberal than you: drugs, prostitution, gay marriage - OK. Anything that someone wants to do that doesn't hurt somebody else, destroy someone's property or threaten imminent harm to another is fine with me. I wouldn't choose to make those decisions for myself and would prefer others didn't make them but I'd rather keep my money in my pocket than pay to fight them, then pay to jail them. But that's just politics and at the end of the day there isn't one person in America who gets everything the way they want it, but we don't all hold a grudge against the other 375 million people who have slightly different points of view.

I can explain why there is a correlation between conservatives and prepping but not sure why it is as high as I've experienced it to be. Certainly liberals believe that government can help society beyond simple enforcement of contracts and protection of borders, property and life. So maybe there is an over-reliance on government by liberals so they don't see the need to prep. But countless examples prove that wrong and there are lots of educated liberals who should see thru that.

Religion is tougher for me to explain. From a Christian view point, I seem to remember Jesus telling all of his followers to give up their possessions and come follow him. Yet, lots of folks decide to hoard more possessions. It also seems like if you believe you have a perfect existence after this life (heaven) than you would be less likely to have concern over dieing. Now, none of this is meant to offend anyone. I'm writing to someone who has expressed an interest in MacroEconomics which relies heavily on psychology and statistics, not faith and politics.

So forget all of that stuff. We're here to help others who have chosen to prepare for what is to come. And (to speak to your liberal side) we will all share everything we know even if someone else can't share as much!!! ;)

BTW, I have a degree in Economics so not only am I just as boring as you are but if you want to get into a debate on the relevance of Keynesian theory and why it should never had applied to the United States, I'm happy to ablidge and at the end of the day respect you for having an opinion and an open debate without any hard feelings. Or we could just stick to prepping. Up for some canning north of Raleigh on the first Sat in August???
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator
North Carolina State Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:17 pm

maustypsu wrote:-snip - I'm happy to ablidge and at the end of the day respect you for having an opinion and an open debate without any hard feelings. Or we could just stick to prepping. Up for some canning north of Raleigh on the first Sat in August???
:D -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Whisper » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:49 pm

maustypsu wrote:Mitty, let me say welcome politely before we bang heads down the road!!! :floppytongue:

This site isn't about politics and I don't know why prepping is dominated by conservatives and religious folks. I wouldn't fall under most people's definition of either.

I hate paying taxes and hate that you make me do it, but I don't hate you. I too like roads and bridges and fire departments, as do most Americans. But we disagree when it comes to the fact that you force me to pay for arts, useless "research", tunnels for turtles, staffs for congress members whose sole job it is to 'call the electorate' (in other words raise money for the next campaign) and other such theft of my money. At the same time I bet I'm more socially liberal than you: drugs, prostitution, gay marriage - OK. Anything that someone wants to do that doesn't hurt somebody else, destroy someone's property or threaten imminent harm to another is fine with me. I wouldn't choose to make those decisions for myself and would prefer others didn't make them but I'd rather keep my money in my pocket than pay to fight them, then pay to jail them. But that's just politics and at the end of the day there isn't one person in America who gets everything the way they want it, but we don't all hold a grudge against the other 375 million people who have slightly different points of view.

I can explain why there is a correlation between conservatives and prepping but not sure why it is as high as I've experienced it to be. Certainly liberals believe that government can help society beyond simple enforcement of contracts and protection of borders, property and life. So maybe there is an over-reliance on government by liberals so they don't see the need to prep. But countless examples prove that wrong and there are lots of educated liberals who should see thru that.

Religion is tougher for me to explain. From a Christian view point, I seem to remember Jesus telling all of his followers to give up their possessions and come follow him. Yet, lots of folks decide to hoard more possessions. It also seems like if you believe you have a perfect existence after this life (heaven) than you would be less likely to have concern over dieing. Now, none of this is meant to offend anyone. I'm writing to someone who has expressed an interest in MacroEconomics which relies heavily on psychology and statistics, not faith and politics.

So forget all of that stuff. We're here to help others who have chosen to prepare for what is to come. And (to speak to your liberal side) we will all share everything we know even if someone else can't share as much!!! ;)

BTW, I have a degree in Economics so not only am I just as boring as you are but if you want to get into a debate on the relevance of Keynesian theory and why it should never had applied to the United States, I'm happy to ablidge and at the end of the day respect you for having an opinion and an open debate without any hard feelings. Or we could just stick to prepping. Up for some canning north of Raleigh on the first Sat in August???

I second this! Just about every word!

I thought I was the only one who remembered what Keynesian theory and Classical theory was anymore. I wrote a piece in college where I asked 50 democrats 50 questions and they all answered republican. It's a simple thing of common sense verses no sense. Things they never knew.

I think it's mostly conservatives because generally we expect to take care of ourselves. Our country was built on this premise. That's why we built the greatest nation ever. Now, it's being destroyed the more those ideals are going away. People don't get it. Stealing money and calling it taxes is a form of slavery. We are being forced to work 1/3 of our jobs for free. And it's unconstitutional.

Oh, and did I just see ReadyBot! :evil:
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Check In Here North Carolina Preppers