• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Kick Start NC Preppers Forum

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderator: maustypsu

Re: Kick Start NC Preppers Forum

Postby Mitty » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:22 pm

Maybe we are not so different after all. I am not an economist, but one of favorite blogs is Calculated Risk. I was not for the bailing out the banks or even all those people who bought houses at the wrong time. If we had to spend 700 billion it should have went to infrastructure, education and health care. There just seems to be so much anger out there.
My personal opinion, corporations are running everything, but I don't see the anger towards them.
Anyways enough politics. :surrender:

As for canning, that would be great. We just bought a pressure cooker and have yet to test it out. Unfortunately, we are still renting and my small little garden did not produce much. I was thinking of going to the farmers market and picking up something that I could can, but that might be pricy. When I was a kid in CA, we would go to fields and pick what was left over from the harvest. Peaches were $5 a crate, tomatoes and cantaloupes were free. We would pick as much as we could, head to grandma's and the whole family would be canning. For the 4th July, we butcher the chickens and have a big BBQ. I was so little at the time, I only got to peal the fruit or pluck the feathers and vagualy remember the process.

I am in Cary, so if I can get some fruit or veggies together, that would be great. I would have to talk to the hubby about it, he might be a little skittish about it. He does not want anyone knowing that we are prepping.
About our doomstead, do you know of any possiblilities? We are looking for 5-10 acers with a 4-5 bed with a basement under 360K Or we might build.

About the economics, I have very little formal education, just a micro and macro class. I do lean towards Kesian, but again I am no expert.
Mitty

Postby maustypsu » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:00 pm

Mitty wrote:As for canning, that would be great. We just bought a pressure cooker and have yet to test it out. Unfortunately, we are still renting and my small little garden did not produce much.

I am in Cary, so if I can get some fruit or veggies together, that would be great. I would have to talk to the hubby about it, he might be a little skittish about it. He does not want anyone knowing that we are prepping.
About our doomstead, do you know of any possiblilities? We are looking for 5-10 acers with a 4-5 bed with a basement under 360K Or we might build.

About the economics, I have very little formal education, just a micro and macro class. I do lean towards Kesian, but again I am no expert.

First I'll say that if you lean towards Keynesian Economics than, no you aren't an expert. :floppytongue:

But seriously, We don't even need to know your names. You could use fake names, or go by Mitty if that would make the two of you more comfortable. Secondly, sorry if I wasn't clear. We are doing dry canning. If you are free Aug 6th there is a thread started with the details in Carolina Meetups. We are doing dry canning and group purchasing what we can. As an example you can get a #10 can, lid, label and fill it with wheat for less than $2. Then we'll work together to do the canning. We'll have dried apples, flour, wheat, beans, rice etc available to can in dry cans. We'll share the labor and the cost, nobody is making money on the deal and nobody needs to know where you live or what status of prepping you have done.

Where are you looking for property. The mountains, piedmont or coast? You can easily find what you are looking for in that price range if you are willing to get a little outside of the Raliegh area. Is this some place you would have for bug out only or would you live there and need to commute to Cary or Raleigh each day?
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator
North Carolina State Moderator

Postby Mitty » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:53 am

We would need to commute. I figure with everyone running to the hills when SHTF, there would be nobody left in the burbs. :thumbsup: :p
With my husbands occupation his is in high demand but we are limited in our locations.
Dry canning sounds interesting. The hubby bught some special FIFO canning shevles. It is already full. I cook one survival meal a week to help rotate the stock and so we know what we would actually eat. Though, when you are hungery enough you will eat anything. Still I don't want to be miserible.
would like to do more canning, just to make the product healthier. Lot of sodium and other stuff I can't pronounce.
Mitty

Community preparing near Asheville

Postby bernie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Asheville area community dedicated to preparedness - water source, organic food source by creek, south facing, roads and underground utilities finished, heirloon seed bank started, fruit trees, HealthyBuilt minimum, Gazebo & grills and games planned....... Bernie
bernie

Postby OrionDarkwood » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Mitty wrote:We would need to commute. I figure with everyone running to the hills when SHTF, there would be nobody left in the burbs. :thumbsup: :p
With my husbands occupation his is in high demand but we are limited in our locations.
Dry canning sounds interesting. The hubby bught some special FIFO canning shevles. It is already full. I cook one survival meal a week to help rotate the stock and so we know what we would actually eat. Though, when you are hungery enough you will eat anything. Still I don't want to be miserible.
would like to do more canning, just to make the product healthier. Lot of sodium and other stuff I can't pronounce.

One thing to remember about running to the hills when SHTF.. Rural farmhouses tend to have farmers that have guns and know how to shoot them (not to mention tend to shoot first and ask questions later). My advice would be move out to the hills before you have to run there I am working on that and hope to be there in a couple of years (maybe sooner if my Neo-Amish commune idea takes off and I get some venture capital).
OrionDarkwood

Previous

Return to Check In Here North Carolina Preppers