• Advertisement

Report and Pictures: Whole Grain Retreat in NC

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Report and Pictures: Whole Grain Retreat in NC

Postby Vina8 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 am

Millers Grain House is having an overnight "retreat" for women at the Lodge in Moravian Falls, NC. in May. (I have no connection except as a satisfied customer.) The subject is whole grain baking. Here is the description:

Come enjoy the cool mornings and evenings of the Spring in the beautiful foothills of Moravian Falls, North Carolina! Nothin' could be finer...

We have the Lodge, the Fireplaces and the Kitchen all to ourselves, ladies! Let's enJOY!

We will learn to take foods from its most basic form and make it into something amazing!
* Learn how to stretch your food dollars using healthy foods.
* Learn techniques for using freshly milled grain.
* Learn to use both machine and hand methods of bread baking.
* Learn way to store your grains.
* Learn ways to incorporate whole grain into more dishes than you'd expect.
* Use a manual and an electric grain mill.
* Learn new skills.
* Eat great food.
* Make new friends!
Come to share & learn & play with your food!

The cost including accommodations is $90. For locals who will commute it is $50.

For additional information:
http://millersgrainhouse.com/store/inde ... =page&id=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Re: Whole Grain Baking Retreat in NC

Postby Vina8 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:17 pm

I registered for this--the price goes up April 1. Y'all are going to be sorry to miss it, because I am not going to bake you all those goodies including pizza--all made with freshly ground grain. You NC guys should send your wives--so we can talk about you! :p
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby maustypsu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:27 pm

MountainMama wrote:I registered for this--the price goes up April 1. Y'all are going to be sorry to miss it, because I am not going to bake you all those goodies including pizza--all made with freshly ground grain. You NC guys should send your wives--so we can talk about you! :p

That's exactly why I am not sending her. :floppytongue:

This sounds great, should be tons of fun.
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator
North Carolina State Moderator

Postby Whisper » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:37 pm

maustypsu wrote:
MountainMama wrote:I registered for this--the price goes up April 1. Y'all are going to be sorry to miss it, because I am not going to bake you all those goodies including pizza--all made with freshly ground grain. You NC guys should send your wives--so we can talk about you! :p

That's exactly why I am not sending her. :floppytongue:

This sounds great, should be tons of fun.

I like this guy! :evil:
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Where are all you NC women preppers? I need help here. :help:
Vina8

Postby Vina8 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:26 pm

I got home from my Whole Grain Baking Retreat near Wilksboro, NC about 4:00 today. There were 22 women of all ages from NC, SC, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. I think it was very similar to what a meeting of women from this forum would be like. There were a lot of discussions about prepping, survival, sustainability, nutrition and healthy food choices, home schooling, raising and killing chickens, toilet paper (yes, Kymber, I told them about 'family cloths' :shakeyes: ), the terrible state our government is in, guns, raising children, and using whole grains. All levels of skills and experience with prepping and cooking were represented. I was very happy to actually meet and talk to women who didn't think I am crazy (I think? :? )! A couple of them may get to come to our NC Forum Camp out. I told them about APN and all the great information and people here. One of the women (Hi, L. and Trapper!) called her husband and told him to check out this forum and that the N.C. Moderator was at the retreat. He told her to ask me if we had chosen a campsite yet! He had already been checking us out. Cool.

At the request of the retreat organizer, I demonstrated how to make no-knead bread. We also learned how to make WW muffins, pizza, bread, Kefir rolls, hot dog buns, hamburger buns, and cookies. There were at least 3 grain mills to use and compare: electric, manual, and either/or. My "either/or" Family Grain Mill was a favorite of those planning on buying one. Being very prepper-minded, they were concerned about having tools that didn't just rely on electricity.

Donna Miller from Miller's Grain House told us she is planning another baking retreat like this one in the fall in case any of you women are interested.

134 135 136 137 138 133
Vina8

Re: Report and Pictures: Whole Grain Retreat in NC

Postby Lynette » Sat May 22, 2010 9:32 pm

What a great experience with all the ladies this weekend at the baking retreat with "like-minded" ladies who didn't r-e-a-l-l-y want to admit they were like minded! LOL

We had a wonderful time and learned so much from eachother! Moutainmama... glad to meet you! We must stay in touch!
YouTube: YouTube.com/preppingonabudget
Lynette

Postby Vina8 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Lynette wrote:What a great experience with all the ladies this weekend at the baking retreat with "like-minded" ladies who didn't r-e-a-l-l-y want to admit they were like minded! LOL

We had a wonderful time and learned so much from eachother! Vina8... glad to meet you! We must stay in touch!

I am so glad you posted! I had a great time, too. I imagine my face had the same expression yours did the second when we both realized that the other knew about prepping. I loved your story about the "no smoking" anywhere on the lodge property story. LOL! I had wondered why you took a drive to that cemetery! Image Glad you made it home safe. By the time I left the rain had stopped.

I will send you the details about our camping trip by email in case you can make on June 19. I am whipped from getting up at 6. Keep in touch and feel free to email me.
Vina8

Postby Vina8 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:59 am

Here are some links I received from the retreat on a variety of subjects that you might find helpful.

Vina8

Postby Lynette » Tue May 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Vina8.... I really did go to find that cemetery and I even have pictures to prove it, but yes that no-smoking thing... well, I killed two birds with one stone! I also searched out the local properties that were for sale the next morning.... again... getting off the property for a minute.

Thank you for the email on the camping trip. We will try.

Why are people ashamed of prepping? I knew half the women there weren't just there to learn to bake bread. It was kind of funny though... you and I struck a conversation quick and soon realized we were on the same page!
Lynette

Postby Vina8 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:31 am

I think there are a couple of reasons people don't openly discuss their prepping. 1) Many of us have friends and family who think we are nuts and dismiss our prepping as being crazy, paranoid, right-wing fringe, etc. You just learn not to talk about it. 2) By nature many of us ARE at least a little paranoid (some a lot :ninja:) and make it a point not to let neighbors or acquaintances know we are prepping and may have stuff they need or want if something hits the fan. You sure don't want to work, save, and prepare to have some jerk who didn't, come and try to take it all.

It was funny the number of women who were looking at my grain mill and wanted one like it so they would have a hand-crank option "just in case." Preppers. I think I may have already told you, one of my primary reasons for going was to meet some like-minded women and figured there might be some there. I was right and so happy to meet you and some others! I was actually surprised to find so many in one place. Prepping can be a lonely lifestyle, but if something bad happens it is nice to know there are others around. I would have liked you even if you and your husband weren't preppers!
Vina8

Postby Donna » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Lynette wrote:Vina8.... I really did go to find that cemetery and I even have pictures to prove it, but yes that no-smoking thing... well, I killed two birds with one stone! I also searched out the local properties that were for sale the next morning.... again... getting off the property for a minute.

Thank you for the email on the camping trip. We will try.

Why are people ashamed of prepping? I knew half the women there weren't just there to learn to bake bread. It was kind of funny though... you and I struck a conversation quick and soon realized we were on the same page!

HI LYNETTE!!!
Okay...you are stealthy. I hate that you had to go off campus...but, not my rules...

I did get into a 'vague' conversation about prepping with a few of the ladies. It is amazing how many actually were of that mindset, but not openly speaking of it. Yes, like stated by Vina8 - many of us have caught flack from friends and family for years...and so we're used to it...others, younger usually, have a a sense of needing to prepare, but can't put a finger on 'why' - it flies in the face of the 'American dream' so they kind of hint to test the waters first. I get it. It makes sense. I mean, my role is two fold, 1) Health and Budget - the other - 2) Prepping - more mission driven to show people how....even if they don't know that's what I'm doing... :whistling:

Actually several from the group in MD are just starting their prepping journey and the retreat was their kick-off....

Anyway....
SO GLAD to see you here!!!
Get me if you need anything...
Best Blessings and enJOY the journey!
Joseph & Donna Miller
http://www.MillersGrainHouse.com/store & http://www.PREPAREMag.com
Donna

Postby Lynette » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:14 am

Hi Donna and Vina8,

I agree that most of us don't go around broadcasting our prepping efforts for various reasons. I wish I could get my family onboard vs. comments such as, "it's cheaper to buy it at the farmer's market, gardens are a lot of work, where are you going to keep all this stuff, why do you want to mill flour, etc., etc." I told Vina8 at the retreat, "I will feed and provide water to my family members, but since they think it's so funny, I will NOT share my stockpiled toilet paper!"

I also understand the need for privacy or secrecy. This is the reason I have spent many hours at the shooting range and in the backyard target shooting. I don't want to have to shoot, but I would defintely not be shy about slowing someone down.

The drawback to this is that if something did happen, a major catastrophy of sorts, then we would be forced to come together at some point and assist each other. This is a topic for another discussion, I guess.

I was introduced to the prepping/survialist topic when I started researching homesteading. The more I read, researched, and followed... it opened my eyes.

I loved the retreat. I have made tons of bread since and have actually found out that I'm good at it. Your also responsible for a spin-off business, if you will. It dawned on me that the instructions you gave us, not just anyone can do, or have time to do. So, I now have a small route of homes I visit weekly that I sell fresh milled flour products to. I figured I could at least pay for my own food supply by selling these much healthier products to other people. It's working very well so far, with the reception of the idea phenominal, so thank you!

Also, I'm working on my new blog called survivalprepping.com (your survival depends on your prepping). I haven't had a lot of time to focus on it just yet, but it's already full of common sense, practical tips on prepping for any kind of emergency. I'm sure I will have several questions for you!

Whew! I'm long-winded... sorry folks!
Thanks again for all the info!
Lynette
Lynette

Postby Donna » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:29 am

Lynette wrote: "I will feed and provide water to my family members, but since they think it's so funny, I will NOT share my stockpiled toilet paper!"

.... figured I could at least pay for my own food supply by selling these much healthier products to other people. It's working very well so far, with the reception of the idea phenominal, so thank you!

Also, I'm working on my new blog called survivalprepping.com (your survival depends on your prepping). I haven't had a lot of time to focus on it just yet, but it's already full of common sense, practical tips on prepping for any kind of emergency. I'm sure I will have several questions for you!

Whew! I'm long-winded... sorry folks!
Thanks again for all the info!
Lynette

Hey Lynette!!
Again - you have made me grin (your first quote) - :rofl: I can just about hear your humor in your typing!! It's awesome!

Your own side business is a great encouragement! I love to hear when people catch the 'bug' and try to meet the needs of those who don't quite yet see...and give them some launch pad help that also helps YOU! Way to go!!

I'll be heading over to check out your blog and mark it to watch the gowth!
Take care and get me if you need me for anything!!!
Best Blessings and enJOY the journey!
Joseph & Donna Miller
http://www.MillersGrainHouse.com/store & http://www.PREPAREMag.com
Donna

Postby Vina8 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:49 am

Wow, Lynnette. That is exciting about selling your whole grain products. It is a good idea. Who knew that the retreat would lead to you starting your own business.

I laughed at the comment about going to the farmers market, gardens are too much work. I didn't know you talked to my sister!

I can't wait to read your blog. You are allowed to post the link in your signature line here. I am so proud of you! I can't believe what you have gotten accomplished since the retreat. You put me to shame.
Vina8

Next

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather