• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

New Roof!

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

New Roof!

Postby Vina8 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:24 pm

That nasty wind storm we had on 2\10 broke off a bunch of our roof shingles. We got the word today that we need a new roof (abt 10 yrs old). EEEEK. We will know next week what the insurance company will kick in. When I mentioned to the insurance adjuster on the phone that I am just thankful a tree didn't fall on the house, he said that he has been busy the last two weeks with homeowners that did have trees fall on them. :shock:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Re: New Roof!

Postby Whisper » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Sorry to hear about yoour roof

Some insurance companies will replace the whole roof so that it matches. Also, call the insurance company and tell them that you are afraid of any rain storms that might come and cause water damage into the house. Ask them if they will cover a tarp and for someone to install it. They did it for me.

Good luck
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Luckily, the shingles broke off at the line of the shingle above them. In other words, only the tabs broke off intermittently leaving nothing exposed so it isn't critical. We had a roofer look at it this week and give us an estimate. He said it doesn't need to be covered. But we may upgrade to fire resistant, energy-saving shingles made with fiber glass and guaranteed for winds up to 130 mph.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby irishgal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Good luck with the roof MM.
irishgal

Postby Zombie Axe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:32 am

Yeah, the wind in the hills has been brutal this winter! Sorry to hear about the roof :(
Zombie Axe
North Carolina A.N.T.S. Member
North Carolina A.N.T.S. Member

Postby Vina8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:26 pm

We are considering a metal roof (fire resistant). Do any of you have any knowledge or experience with metal roofs? I will be researching them this afternoon.
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Congrads MM! :thumbsup:

If the shingles are 10 years old and brittle, you should call the manufacturer. You might be able to get them to kick in. I believe most shingles today have a minimum 20 year life.

I don't know much about metal roofs except for what you already said and don't do red, you can see my neighbor's house from a mile away.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby tigger2 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Mine is hunter green.
Red Queen: I can give you the code, but first you must do something for me.
Alice: What?
Red Queen: One of your group has been infected. I require her life for the code.

Resident Evil

Region 1
tigger2
Prepper Emeritus

Postby Vina8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Whisper, we checked into the manufacturer's warranty. Hah! Those companies NEVER pay on their warranties. You have PROVE faulty materials or workmanship. Oh well, at least I don't have to pay the whole cost of replacing the @#$%^ thing. I wouldn't think of choosing a red roof. :shakeno: One of the nice things about our location is no one can see our house from any road. I am afraid a red roof might become visible all the way in town! :eek:

Tigger, how do you like your roof? Any problems?

I am looking into the coatings that reflect light and heat reducing our cooling costs.
Vina8

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather