• Advertisement

Group Purchases

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Group Purchases

Postby maustypsu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Is there any interest in making group purchases of long term storage or supplies? Seems like one of the biggest benefits the local forums have over the other sites is that we can more easily pool our resources above and beyond knowledge and support.

One of the ways we might be able to do that is through buying in bulk together. It might be easy for three folks near each other to meet up at a Sam's Club to split a case of toilet paper. On the other hand, there could be 10 people who could get together to buy rice, beans, wheat, etc. in bulk and it would be worth their while to drive 30 minutes to save that money.

Just one quick thought of how we could get even more out of the fact that we are all in NC.
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator

Re: Group Purchases

Postby Whisper » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Excellent idea. It's a shame I'm not ready to do that yet. I know there's a bunch of people around here that are going to be interested. Here's a linkto a post I made for some cheap supplies. I hope it helps.

great-place-for-food-purchase-and-more-t853.html
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:31 pm

Good idea, maustypsu. We might be interested if you find some good suppliers.

We buy grain, beans, etc. from Miller's Grain House here in NC. Once every month or two, they take orders for bulk purchases and act as a co-op for purchases and even deliver. They are based in Wilkesboro. They also sell in smaller quantities and shipping is included in their prices. We love the huge variety of grains including organic that we can't find anyplace else. Here's their website:
http://www.millersgrainhouse.com/store/
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Tycer » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:59 am

I've got one going in Asheville this month.
May the Blessings of Heaven rest upon us and every moral and social virtue cement us.

www.chrismartenson.com www.fairtax.org www.goooh.org www.guntalk.tv
Tycer

Postby Vina8 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:32 am

Tycer wrote:I've got one going in Asheville this month.

Tycer, how did your group purchase go?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby woodsstalker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Did this idea ever kick off? I just noticed it and am in hopes that the idea is still active.

Last week I drove up to Lindley Mills in Graham and bought 50 lbs of rolled oats for $43.50, which I thought was a good price for a large bag. They have other good priced items. For example: Hard Winter Berries - 25 lb for $12.25.

There is another mill up near Greensboro that I want to check out before I really get into bulk buying. I wish I could remember the name of the place.

But, if there is a co-op in effect, I would consider getting into that.
If the grass on the other side of the mountain is starting to look greener maybe it's time you fertilized your own grass.

Blessed be the Lord, my strength, which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight- Psalm 144:1
woodsstalker

Postby woodsstalker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:40 pm

In regard to my last post, a little cruising across the net and I found the mill:

Old Mill of Guilford
1340 NC 68 North
Oak Ridge, NC 27310
336-643-4783

Apparently the largest package they sell is in a 5 lb. bap. So, not much help here for large orders.
If the grass on the other side of the mountain is starting to look greener maybe it's time you fertilized your own grass.

Blessed be the Lord, my strength, which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight- Psalm 144:1
woodsstalker

Postby maustypsu » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:32 pm

We haven't put anything together yet. But this is what we are looking for. We had a Grain Mill here with unique, quality, fairly priced grains. And they had oxygen absorbers and food grade 5 gallon buckets for $6. So it could be possible for us to make a bulk purchase and save on top of that.

We do have a canning function scheduled for the first Sat in Aug if you are interested. Dry canning of #10 cans with wheat, rice, sugar, beans, dry milk, etc. Good prices with nobody making a profit and a couple of like minded folks getting together to save a buck by sharing the work on bulk purchases. Look it up under NC Meetups thread and PM if interested.
maustypsu

Postby woodsstalker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:52 am

This subject was covered on a different thread but I am unable to find it again. But, the local LDS Home Storage Center is located in Greensboro, NC and they do sell to non members. I called them this morning and will be making a run there tomorrow.

A look at their price list will show some amazingly low prices for various items:

http://www.providentliving.lds.org/pfw/ ... 00_pdf.pdf

I will be making additional trips for more items. If there is anyone living in the south, central part of NC that would like to make some purchases, let me know and we will get together. I can handle the deliveries, but you will have to meet me to get your ordered items.

woodsstalker

Postby Vina8 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 pm

woodsstalker wrote:This subject was covered on a different thread but I am unable to find it again. But, the local LDS Home Storage Center is located in Greensboro, NC and they do sell to non members. I called them this morning and will be making a run there tomorrow.

A look at their price list will show some amazingly low prices for various items:

http://www.providentliving.lds.org/pfw/ ... 00_pdf.pdf

I will be making additional trips for more items. If there is anyone living in the south, central part of NC that would like to make some purchases, let me know and we will get together. I can handle the deliveries, but you will have to meet me to get your ordered items.

Thanks for the info, woodsstalker. FYI, the price list is posted in Canadian dollars. I assume there is a conversion factor. I was interested to see what items they sell.
Vina8

Postby woodsstalker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:30 pm

I noticed that after I made the posting Vina. But here is the correct US version.

http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/mult ... 00_pdf.pdf

woodsstalker

Postby woodsstalker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:02 pm

I made it up to the LDS Storage Food Center today. really impressed with the people there. there was a number of people canning stuff for themselves. I might get in on that one of these days. But, for today I picked up 200 lbs of hard red wheat and 100 lbs of regular rolled oats. These I can break down and put into my own containers. The wheat will go into some of the 5 gal. buckets I picked up earlier this week and the rolled oats will be divided into 2 lb 10 oz and vacuum sealed in the plastic bags.

woodsstalker

Postby mj1angier » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:45 am

I have been to the LDS cannery twice and can say they are great to deal with! both time we did the canning for ourselves on most items. The best way to work it is to buy what you can that is precanned and them pick 2-3 other items to can that day. The first time we went we tried to get a bit of everything and spent too much time changing items- you have to do a clean down between items and that takes time. The next time our group planed on 4 items plus what ever precanned stuff they had. It went a lot smoother that way. Just have to plan for a few more trips. Hardest ting to can is spaghetti, you have to break it to fit the can. Everything else goes good. They have a set way of doing things and are very firm about it, but they do it day end and out and know what works. They have cans and pouchs- the pouch are more trouble than they are worth.
mj1angier

Postby Satori » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:13 pm

here' another place in N.C. to make bulk purchases

http://www.foodpreps.com/?SID=f3706523e ... 65e0d68456
Satori

Postby The Biss » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08 am

Satori wrote:here' another place in N.C. to make bulk purchases
http://www.foodpreps.com/

I'm Dave Bissette, the proprietor of http://www.FoodPreps.com and The Grain Mill of Wake Forest. We're located in downtown Wake Forest, right outside of Raleigh (not Winston Salem's Wake Forest).

We get a lot of people that come in to our little store that wonder if they are the only people in central North Carolina who are concerned about the economy and our the state of our food supply. They're always glad to know that they're "not crazy" for pulling their heads out of the sand.

I'm very glad to have found this forum. I'm active in many of our homesteading and survivalist meetup groups here in Wake county, and look forward to participating in prepper discusssions with you all as well. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at catawbacoops at gmail dot com.
The Grain Mill of Wake Forest
Your Bulk Food Solution for Central NC & the Surrounding Area.
$0.05 / lb. shipping to our Wake County pick-up location
The Biss

Next

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather