• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Group Purchases

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Re: Group Purchases

Postby Shoalin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:17 am

Yes, I am interested in a bulk buying group especially for produce. I'm already buying grains, beans, rice and milk in bulk for my household. And I will probable take part The Grain Mills group buying from the Amish Community.

I was just turned on to the Restaurant Depot out in Charlotte which I will make a trip out there to check it out. Sam's, Costco and BJ's prices aren't that great. I do much better shopping sales and buying in bulk from other sources. If I don't find a food Co-op here in Wake Forest, then I will start one. I'll probable start with produce since that seems to be the hardest to get at a bargain price. I did find Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes on sale at Target this year for .25 cents per pound. Other shoppers were passing them up but I bought a hundred pounds and me and mine have been enjoying them this winter.

Bulk buying is the way to go because of the cost savings. If people get together in a co-op you can cut your food budget dramatically. If ten people chip in 20 dollars, thats $200. Two hundred at wholesale prices can buy you alot of wholesome food. The more you buy the less it cost. It doesn't have to be formal, just a group of friends and neighbors pooling their pennies together to get more for less then they could get it on their own.

I've found out that there is a produce district in the Raleigh area I'm going to start calling these wholesale produce companies and get some buying info.
Shoalin

Postby Vina8 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:48 am

Good idea, Shoalin. That was a great buy on potatoes and sweet potatoes. I hope you have success finding or creating a co-op.

We are still eating sweet potatoes from our garden that are wonderful. We plan on planting a lot more this year. For folks on the western side of the state, the Western North Carolina Farmers Market is a good place to get produce in bulk. There is also a co-op in Hendersonville.

WNC Farmers Market

Daily 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Open Year-Round

570 Brevard Rd.
Asheville, NC – Buncombe County

The WNC Farmers Market is a year-round market conveniently located off I-26 and I-40. This indoor market is filled with stalls of fresh fruits and vegetables, jams, cheeses, baked goods, fudge, crafts and local honey. Seasonal offerings include fresh flowers, plants and Christmas trees. The BBQ Cook-off and Bluegrass Jam in March, Herb Festival in May, Watermelon Day in July and Tomato Tasting in August are regular events that draw locals and visitors alike to the market.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby maustypsu » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:58 pm

The Biss wrote:
Satori wrote:here' another place in N.C. to make bulk purchases
http://www.foodpreps.com/

I'm Dave Bissette, the proprietor of http://www.FoodPreps.com and The Grain Mill of Wake Forest. We're located in downtown Wake Forest, right outside of Raleigh (not Winston Salem's Wake Forest).

We get a lot of people that come in to our little store that wonder if they are the only people in central North Carolina who are concerned about the economy and our the state of our food supply. They're always glad to know that they're "not crazy" for pulling their heads out of the sand.

I'm very glad to have found this forum. I'm active in many of our homesteading and survivalist meetup groups here in Wake county, and look forward to participating in prepper discusssions with you all as well. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at catawbacoops at gmail dot com.

Dave and his wife are great folks who have been very helpful to me. Lots of good deals on great products from honey to 7 grain cereal (my fav). Dave, the last time I stopped by nobody was around but one of your chickens was outside the fence near the road. I tried to rustle it back into the fence but I'm slow and easily outsmarted by chickens so I wasn't any help to you.
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator

Postby maustypsu » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Shoalin wrote:Yes, I am interested in a bulk buying group especially for produce. I'm already buying grains, beans, rice and milk in bulk for my household. And I will probable take part The Grain Mills group buying from the Amish Community.

If I don't find a food Co-op here in Wake Forest, then I will start one. I'll probable start with produce since that seems to be the hardest to get at a bargain price.

I'm in Wake Forest and would be interested from time to time. I'd be most interested in buying produce that could be dehydrated for long term storage or or in food saver bags for quick/cheap meals at the hunt club. If you want to do some of your own canning or mylar bagging, we are already doing some of that with dry goods that we buy in bulk for long term storage.
maustypsu

Previous

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather