• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

100 Items That Disappear First in a Disaster

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Re: 100 Items That Disappear First in a Disaster

Postby Vina8 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 am

I would be more inclined to trust people who are like us--prepared so I know their preparation plan isn't just to take mine. I thought about it last night after I read your post, Lynnette. There has to be a balance of needs and contribution. I would be less inclined to form an alliance with someone who has little storage of consumables. But if someone has that covered, we could combine efforts on protection, equipment, skills, even land/BOL. That, and no a$$ h-les or lazy people ;) !
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:41 am

Great blog. I just received my hand grinder and those pesky manual can openers keep breaking. I think I've gone through 5 in the past year and a half. We do have two P38 that are much more reliable, thanks to my former Army husband.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby Alaska Rose » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:05 pm

Vina8 wrote:I would be more inclined to trust people who are like us--prepared so I know their preparation plan isn't just to take mine. I thought about it last night after I read your post, Lynnette. There has to be a balance of needs and contribution. I would be less inclined to form an alliance with someone who has little storage of consumables. But if someone has that covered, we could combine efforts on protection, equipment, skills, even land/BOL. That, and no a$$ h-les or lazy people ;) !

Yes,I agree with you on that one. As it is, there is one drone living out here that I guess we have for life. I should be a bit more charitable, he has a lot of health problems and can't really work. The other one is gone most of the time and only uses this place to store his stuff so he don't have to pay storage somewhere and bring his current girlfriend. I have a hard time kicking people off the place once it becomes obvious they are not what they seemed to be.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:34 pm

Detentus wrote:Great blog. I just received my hand grinder and those pesky manual can openers keep breaking. I think I've gone through 5 in the past year and a half. We do have two P38 that are much more reliable, thanks to my former Army husband.
:eek: WOW! I've had the same one for about 27 years and it's Still working! -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Lynda » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:01 am

Readymom, the hand grinder or the manual can openers or the P38? I was referring to the manual can openers only. I use electric and then the P38 if the power fails on the rare occasion. I am looking forward to using the hand grinder though.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:35 am

Detentus wrote:Readymom, the hand grinder or the manual can openers or the P38? I was referring to the manual can openers only. I use electric and then the P38 if the power fails on the rare occasion. I am looking forward to using the hand grinder though.
Sorry .... my manual can opener.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby jpmd » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:03 am

Thoughtful list thanks. Even though some basic medications may not be as sexy as the box of ammo dont forget things like anti-diarrhea medications. To die from diarrhea induced dehydration could kill ya as good as a bullet. Bottom line you dont want to "run out" of anti-diarrheal and other basic meds.
jpmd

Postby Vina8 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:08 am

jpmd wrote:Thoughtful list thanks. Even though some basic medications may not be as sexy as the box of ammo dont forget things like anti-diarrhea medications. To die from diarrhea induced dehydration could kill ya as good as a bullet. Bottom line you dont want to "run out" of anti-diarrheal and other basic meds.

I have stocked some Imodium among a bunch of other meds. Do you recommend any particular anti-diarrheal?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Alaska Rose » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:19 am

This sounds weird, but a drop of peppermint oil rubbed on the tailbone seems to slow or stop diarrhea. Can be used on adults or babies without side affects. For good measure, rub a drop or two on abdomen, also.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby jpmd » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:06 pm

Immodiun or the cheaper generic (loperamide hydrochloride) is best. Narcotic containing pain relievers slows bowel motility. In older days before Immodium narcotics were also used not only for pain but also to treat diarrhea. Therefore in a pinch any narcotic containing medicine would help treat diarrhea. As far as peppermint oil- I am unaware of any scientific/statistical proof of its effectiveness but seems pretty harmless to try. Also, remember medicines are often very effective MANY years beyond expiration if kept in cool,dry and dark environment (look up Pentagon Shelf Life Extension Program). As an MD I can't tell others that it is safe to use any expired medication like Immodium but if I kept the med in a cool,dark and dry area I would happily use some 5 years or beyond its expiration esp if that was my only immodium.
jpmd

Postby Vina8 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:06 pm

Well, since it is a lot easier for me to get my hands on immodium than narcotic pain relievers, I will have to go that route. :) I could see me trying to explain to my doctor that I needed some narcotic pain pills--just in case I got diarrhea. :whistling: Actually, I do have some saved from when I hurt my knee last summer. I never used any for that but thought it was worth getting the prescription filled just in case...I also saved the crutches and knee immobilizer, neither of which I used. I never let an injury go to waste! Thanks, jpmd!
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:10 am

Vina8 wrote:Well, since it is a lot easier for me to get my hands on immodium than narcotic pain relievers, I will have to go that route. :) I could see me trying to explain to my doctor that I needed some narcotic pain pills--just in case I got diarrhea. :whistling: Actually, I do have some saved from when I hurt my knee last summer. I never used any for that but thought it was worth getting the prescription filled just in case...I also saved the crutches and knee immobilizer, neither of which I used. I never let an injury go to waste! Thanks, jpmd!

:rofl: That was good!

How about just using rice? It is suppose to help I thought.
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Whisper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm going through some of the older threads that have been buried and should be looked at again for all of the new people. SO

Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby NCPrepper10 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:54 am

Here is the list I made for my prepping blog (http://preppershomefront.blogspot.com) of things you should stock up on before a disaster. Some may be duplicates of things already posted here, hope it helps.

FOOD (canned, dehydrated, MRE's, snack bars, etc)
Water Purification Device (Katadyn makes the best)
Matches (All-Weather Windproof Strike-Anywhere are best)
Small Kerosene Heater + Kerosene (make sure you get proper ventilation)
Emergency Candles
Oil Lamps + Lamp Oil / Coleman Dual-Fuel Lantern
Extra Lamp Wicks/Mantles
Flashlights in common battery sizes (AA, D, etc)
Solar/Crank Radio-flashlight (such as: Eton Solar/Crank Powered Radio-Flashlight )
Case(s) of Bottled Water
Batteries (rechargable batteries come in handy)
Lighters (BIC Lighters are by far the best)
Ziploc Freezer/Heavy Duty Bags
Aluminum Foil
Heavy Duty 55gal Trash Bags
Medical Supplies (get alot. Make sure to add some Celox or Quik-Clot)
Percolator (old oven-top/campfire type for coffee)
Zip-Ties
Fire Extinguisher
High-Quality Sleeping Bags
Ponchos/Rain Gear
Head-Lamp Flashlight (these are tremendously useful!)
Tang (water flavoring, it has 100% vitamin C)
Multi-tool (Gerber is my preference)
Gorilla Tape/Duct Tape (Gorilla Tape is amazing)
Work/Protective Gloves (one small cut can lead to a life threatening infection)
Extra Perscription Glasses
Board/Card Games/Books (to keep kids and adults alike busy in down-time)
Mylar Blankets (Otherwise known as 'Emergency Blankets')
Solar Battery Charger
CB Radio (Its nice to be able to talk to the outside world)
Large Dutch Oven
10mil Visqueen Sheet Plastic Rolls (cover broken windows, make shelter, black out windows, etc)
Extra Diesel/Gasoline/Kerosene
Large Containers to keep water in
"WaterBob" (It is a large sealed bathtub liner with a hose so you can store water in your bathtub in an emergency)
Paracord/Rope
Tobacco Products (good for barter if you dont smoke)
High Proof Liquor (can be used as an antiseptic or burned.. or of course consumed ;) )
High Quality Knife
Some means of self defense (you never know when you may need this, but it always better to have something. A firearm is preferred. Get lots of ammo as well.)
Extra shoes + socks (if it is a major disaster, and you may have to be on your feet ALOT. Not having shoes available could be a disaster in itself.)
Seasoned Firewood (it takes 6-12 months for wood to be ready for home use. Once you think you have enough, double it.)
Wood Stove
Vegetable Oil (without oils, all food would have to be boiled)
Generator (I hesitate to say this one, because it makes you a giant target, people will know you have good things to steal. They make 'quiet' versions, if you must have one, I recommend a quiet one.)
Thermal Underwear
Feminine Hygiene Products (they do make re-useable versions of all of these)
Vitamins
Toilet Paper (imagine your wife when you tell her there is no more TP..)
Coolers/Ice Chests (you can keep some of your food good in here)
Insect Repellant
Sunscreen
Antibacterial Soap
Hats (you loose alot of bodyheat through your head, and it also keeps the sun and ticks/insects out of your hair)
Propane Cylinders (full and empty)
Babywipes (If you dont have running water, this may be the best shower you get)
Salt
Long Term Food (MRE's, Dehydrated, Canned, etc)
Seeds (Hybrid and Heirloom)
Compass
Local Maps
Fishing Equipment
Sandbags
Bleach (Unscented, 4-6% sodium hypochlorite)
Sta-bil / Pri-G
High Quality Tent
Baking Soda
Diesel Antibacterial Additive
Hand Tools
Lime
Lye
No-Doze/Caffeine Pills
Crowbar
Binoculars
Tarps
Sewing Kit
Survival Books
Washboard/Wringers
Pest Control Devices (bad hygiene due to rodents carrying numerous diseases has been the cause of huge amounts of deaths in disaster situations)
Wood-Splitting Maul, Axe, Hatchet, Machete
Antibiotics (they are irreplaceable, and in a serious situation will mean the difference between life and death. You can order pet versions of antibiotics online without a perscription and are perfectly safe for human consumption, such as 'fish-cillin')
A&D Ointment
Snake Bite Kits
Antacids (you may not get to eat what you normally prefer, so having some of these around will be useful)
Night Vision Devices (being able to see someone without them knowing gives you an amazing advantage. Just remember, that if someone else has one as well, you will appear like you are holding a huge flashlight while using one with an IR feature.)
Gas/Particulate Masks
Bandana/Shemagh (there are a million uses for these, and I have one in all of my gear bags)
Blood-typing Kits (knowing what blood type people are can save a life)
Home Re-enforcement Materials (Plywood Sheets, Steel Bars, Steel Plating, Screws, etc)
Celox/Quik-Clot (rapidly stops bleeding)
NCPrepper10

Postby Whisper » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Great List and your right, Gorilla Tape/Duct Tape (Gorilla Tape is amazing).
Antacids, (Zantec is the only one with no side effect and can be had at walmart cheap- I hate Walmart too)
Tang (water flavoring, it has 100% vitamin C) Like this too
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather