• Advertisement

100 Items That Disappear First in a Disaster

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Re: 100 Items That Disappear First in a Disaster

Postby hildar » Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 am

A great way to stock up on some of the items on that list are to go to the local dollar tree store and pick it up. I have over 20 bottles of shampoo put away just in case and for a dollar a bottle its easy to stock up. I also buy tons of cheap batteries for my little battery lights in there.

But I highly recommend as an alertantive to candles, and lamp oil to buy some solar lights, they are great to use if the power goes out.

If you want tea and coffee buy that at dollar general, I save about $50 a month by buying coffee there to stock up on. Folgers coffee was last month $7.95 for a huge can, where as foodlion and other stores are closer to $15 for a big can. Instant coffee also is cheaper. Don't forget canned meats are cheaper there as well. And for those really wanting to save even more buy a couple of cheap items on a Friday and you get a coupon for $5 to $10 off a $50 purchase on Saturday. This way I get to save more money on my coffee, and canned goods.
hildar

Postby JayJay » Fri May 18, 2012 4:17 pm

by hildar » Fri May 18, 2012 8:15 am
~~~A great way to stock up on some of the items on that list are to go to the local dollar tree store and pick it up. I have over 20 bottles of shampoo put away just in case and for a dollar a bottle its easy to stock up.~~~

I do too, and don't forget, shampoo, body wash, dish detergent can be interchanged. I buy all 3 at Dollar Tree, or Dollar General for $1.
I also buy the dollar laundry detergent for $1 or $2 at SavAlot or Dollar Tree.
And yes, I also bought the coffee at DG when it was $6.
I found a site that said Tang, vitamin C---and I have lots of it from Sam's---can last lots longer if in crystalline tablet form.
Puritan.com has it and FREE SHIPPING!!!! :clap: on any amt. order.
I just ordered another batch today.
peace...jayjay
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby hildar » Fri May 18, 2012 6:56 pm

I haven't had Tang since I was a kid, instead of koolaid we had tang when we were kids. It may be something I should stock up on because I had taking vitamin C tablets, so maybe a glass of tang would be better for all of us. Plus it would be a way to drink the water in a different way. Some days I do get tired of plain water.

I also think some stores still carry the old ovaltine, its a great sorce of vitamins, and calcium.
hildar

Postby JayJay » Sat May 19, 2012 12:19 am

hildar wrote:I haven't had Tang since I was a kid, instead of koolaid we had tang when we were kids. It may be something I should stock up on because I had taking vitamin C tablets, so maybe a glass of tang would be better for all of us. Plus it would be a way to drink the water in a different way. Some days I do get tired of plain water.

I also think some stores still carry the old ovaltine, its a great sorce of vitamins, and calcium.

I stocked on Tang and a few other powders to offset that bad taste of filtered water; suggested by a prepper.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby hildar » Sat May 19, 2012 12:32 pm

I am thinking tang, and maybe the powdered gatoraid would be a good thing to have for the water. Both having vitamins in them, it will help us to stay more healthy.
hildar

Postby repsfo » Tue May 29, 2012 7:40 am

JayJay wrote:
hildar wrote:I haven't had Tang since I was a kid, instead of koolaid we had tang when we were kids. It may be something I should stock up on because I had taking vitamin C tablets, so maybe a glass of tang would be better for all of us. Plus it would be a way to drink the water in a different way. Some days I do get tired of plain water.

I stocked on Tang and a few other powders to offset that bad taste of filtered water; suggested by a prepper.

They are used to mask the taste of iodine and other chemical disinfectants. Water filters don't generally affect the taste of the water. However remember to wait until the disinfectant is finished doing it's thing before adding because they de-activate the disinfectant.
repsfo

Postby dandesoap » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:36 am

I wanted to add a tidbit on the matches, I have selected to use petroleum jelly and cottonballs and magnesium striker. By placing a small amount on a cottonball and that stiker makes one heck of a flame.
I am not really sure how quick it works using a shoestring and cooking oil, but given time for the oil to be soaked up by the shoestring, you could make a makeshift lantern, please be careful! But I have seen this work.
dandesoap

Postby gcsailor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Might want to add Solar pannels and wind gen's to that list
"Never trust a government that dosen't trust it's citizens with guns." Benjamin Franklin
gcsailor
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Gallimaufry » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:44 pm

If these are already listed, I apologize. I'd add a couple of water quality testing kits, a urinary tract infection home test (AZO products has one), Nitrile gloves, coffee bags (like tea bags), and an Epi-pen if you can talk your doctor into prescribing it.

Getting back to salt for a minute - I think people also should have a couple of canisters of regular iodized salt for those with thyroid problems.

This is an amazing, and huge list (and overwhelming). All I can say is that I have an awesome hand-turn can opener. :)
Gallimaufry
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby mombear » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 pm

About ever 6 months I like to go through this list. I might of not prepped the item in the past, and will now. Keep up the ideas!
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Previous

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather