• Advertisement

NC Book Swap Barter Day

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

NC Book Swap Barter Day

Postby maustypsu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:11 pm

I posted previously about bulk purchases and we'll see what interest there is in that. Another great way to take advantage of a site dedicated to preppers in our home state could be a book swap. Perhaps a barter thread where we post what we'd be willing to trade. For example I have extra tents and would be looking for some canning supplies. Maybe there's a trade out there somewhere.

Thoughts? Do we have enough active members to make these sorts of things work? Or do we need to increase our active member base first?
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator

Re: Book Swap Barter Day

Postby Vina8 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:52 pm

I like your ideas. I would like to explore this further. What do the rest of you North Carolina members think? If you have been "lurking", come on out and let us know you are there.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:04 am

I think it's a great idea!
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RavenNtwng » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:58 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me too!
RavenNtwng

Postby maustypsu » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Again, I'm just trying to think of ways to give this site some value that folks can't get from other prepping sites. That seems most likely to be getting together. So I'm not tied to this idea or to bulk purchases. So if someone thinks these are dumb ideas but others that involve taking advantage of us being in the same state, don't be afraid to post them up.

What would be central for most members?
maustypsu

Postby Whisper » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Book rate was always cheap in the past
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Ha! :lol: Trust me that this group would not be shy if we think an idea is dumb! I appreciate your creativity in trying to identify ways to help each other, and making the NC forum a useful tool. What I would value from others is an exchange of ideas, expertise, and maybe even services.

Would anyone be interested in getting together for a camping weekend when the weather gets warm? We went primitive camping a lot in Arizona when we lived there. It would give us a chance to try some of our equipment and skills, and teach each other some things. Like Whisper mentioned on another thread that he has a couple of slingshots that he knows how to use which I would like to learn. We could practice our fire-making, camp cooking, communication equipment, etc. Hopefully, we wouldn't have a need to practice our first aid! :eek:

There are a couple of us that I know of who are not too far from Hickory. One person is the High Point area. Someone else is south of Raleigh--maybe that was you. :?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby maustypsu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:49 pm

Camping trip sounds great. I'd be interested if I could make it work in the schedule.
maustypsu

Postby Whisper » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:45 pm

I'd go. But primitive camping? What's that mean, I can't bring the kitchen sink? Honestly, I've done a lot of camping. Only once at a camp sit, which I hated. I usually camp far away from people. And I usually bring a lot. So seriously, since people have different meanings for things and I don't browse internet camping sites, what do you consider primitive camping?
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:28 pm

Good question, Whisper. To me primitive camping means no formal campground unless we don't have a choice. We have a lot of gear as well. I can't say that we "rough it." My intention would not be survival camping with a tube tent. Of course, others may want to do that.

I don't have any clue about good potential camping sites in NC. If we were in Arizona, I would love to take you to some of our favorite places. Hopefully, someone on the forum can recommend someplace.
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:57 pm

I was just talking to someone and he may be interested in going as well. But he said that he would never go before June. He said that it gets too cold at night before then. I camped in the cold once. I never want to do that again unless I was forced too.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:24 pm

We have camped in the mountains when it got down in the 30's and 40's. After the first time I bought myself a very heavy sleeping bag! The one upside to camping when it is cold is that the snakes aren't crawling. :eek: June would be fine with us. I am glad your friend is interested--the more the merrier. Why don't you guys pick a date? We are open.
Vina8

Postby maustypsu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:29 pm

No bugs in the cold either. Hate them mosquitos and nats.

June should be good. Someone throw a date out there and I'll talk to the boss to see if it works.
maustypsu

Postby Whisper » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:11 pm

June 19th?
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:41 pm

That works for us.
Vina8

Next

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather