• Advertisement

NC Book Swap Barter Day

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Re: Book Swap Barter Day

Postby Whisper » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:37 pm

MountainMama wrote:That works for us. It will be our 39th anniversary on 6/19. :clap:

How the heck did you make it that long! :shock: Congratulations! :D I just pick a Saturday, why don't you pick a different day.
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:52 pm

No, June 19 is fine. You asked how we made it that long. Just get old! And neither one of us could possibly find someone else who would put up with us. :ilove:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:20 pm

MountainMama wrote:No, June 19 is fine. We don't do anything special on our anniversary. We would just as soon spend the time camping and enjoying our new friends. You asked how we made it that long. Just get old! And neither one of us could possibly find someone else who would put up with us. :ilove:

Ah, so what you're saying is I should gnaw off my ring finger now before it's too late. ;) Gotcha.
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:52 am

Congratulations, MM, and I do almost wish I lived in NC so I could come camping and meet you'all. When I was guiding, the camping part is what I loved best. As kids in Oregon eons ago, my Dad would drop us off up in the Cascades and leave us a week or so. One time he said he forgot us and didn't show up for a couple more weeks. We did okay, but meals got pretty repetitious before he finally showed up. We had the neighbor's 5 kids with us, too, and I wonder why they didn't notice their kids weren't home yet?
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Vina8 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:42 am

:rofl: No wonder you can handle anything, Rose. I guess that is what you call cheap summer camp! I wish you were here to go with us, too. Anytime you want to visit the lower 48, you come on by.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Alaska Rose » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:56 am

LOL, thanks, that is very nice of you. I was about 14 the summer we got left in the mountains, and luckily for us, we had a bag of split peas with us, so had split pea soup 3 meals a day, supplimented by whatever we managed to gather. No one got fat on that trip. I often wondered why we had a 25 pound bag of peas with us, anyway? After that trip, I have never gone without a gun of some sort and fish hooks. It is very hard to herd fish with legs in fast running water. We only managed to get a couple of trout that way. 8 kids walking side by side and then turning against the bank and making one kid grab for them in the water, got them finally by squishing against the bank with full body slam. LOL.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby maustypsu » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:22 am

June 19th should work. Anyone have an idea of where we should camp?
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:43 am

Since we moved here, we haven't done any camping in NC. I have done some research on the internet and found a few possibilities, but it would be better if someone who has actual experience camping in NC can recommend a good place. Some of you North Carolina folks jump in here. We need help!
Vina8

Re: NC Book Swap Barter Day

Postby Vina8 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:21 pm

Hey, maustypsu. How do you think it would work if we put up a subforum here for NC trades, barters, book swaps, etc.?
Vina8

Postby maustypsu » Tue May 25, 2010 12:38 pm

I think that would be perfect. I think there could be some benefit to it. I have a dozen nice knives that I have picked up over the years. Recently started organizing STUFF and realized I couldn't use up this many blades in a lifetime of wilderness living. I also have ammo that I don't own guns for any more. Someone (over 18) could put either of those to good use and there are tons of things I need.
maustypsu

Postby Vina8 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Good. I will let NIP know so he can put NC Forum on his list to add that forum. I think they may be trying to work out some policy details on how to manage those kind of postings.

BTW, I don't know if you noticed, M but I changed my handle for some technical reasons.
Vina8

Postby PeachMan » Thu May 17, 2012 11:36 am

Hi, I'm new to all of this and need like EVERYTHING related to camping. Well, I have a few odds and ends, but still need a lot. Getting a used AR-15 for cheap is near the top of my list, if anyone can help me there. I don't know what I can barter, yet, but I'm willing to purchase outright for now, until I build up supplies. My wife is really good at rustic cooking, food preparation, herbals, and homeopathy, if anyone is interested in learning about that stuff. Natural health, in general. She reads like crazy. I doubt anyone is interested in my computer skills. LOL. I never thought I'd be saying that! Well, I once was a country boy and a boy scout, so I just need to get back to my roots. We're in Youngsville, so give a holler if you're nearby and want to help out a newbie.

Oh, shoot. I just remembered. We're going to have some goat kids and chickens that we might be able to barter with. Anyone interested in that? Just email me for more info.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." -Jesus

"'Put your trust in God; but mind to keep your powder dry." -Oliver Cromwell
PeachMan

Postby repsfo » Thu May 17, 2012 6:24 pm

maustypsu wrote:I posted previously about bulk purchases and we'll see what interest there is in that. Another great way to take advantage of a site dedicated to preppers in our home state could be a book swap. Perhaps a barter thread where we post what we'd be willing to trade. For example I have extra tents and would be looking for some canning supplies. Maybe there's a trade out there somewhere.

Thoughts? Do we have enough active members to make these sorts of things work? Or do we need to increase our active member base first?

It didn't work so well last year
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=9707

But willing to try it again. I'm going to start cleaning out ALOT of my stuff in the garage. And it will hold 4 cars once it's cleaned out! Right now there are 2 paths thru it. :blush:
repsfo

Postby repsfo » Thu May 17, 2012 6:30 pm

Whisper wrote:I was just talking to someone and he may be interested in going as well. But he said that he would never go before June. He said that it gets too cold at night before then. I camped in the cold once. I never want to do that again unless I was forced too.

I intentionally went camping in January a couple of years ago in northeastern Ohio for 4 days. It never got above "0" the whole week before and during my stay. It was between -25 and -30 windchill every morning. I had the best time!
repsfo

Postby Whisper » Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 pm

jlpechin wrote:Hi, I'm new to all of this and need like EVERYTHING related to camping. Well, I have a few odds and ends, but still need a lot. Getting a used AR-15 for cheap is near the top of my list, if anyone can help me there. I don't know what I can barter, yet, but I'm willing to purchase outright for now, until I build up supplies. My wife is really good at rustic cooking, food preparation, herbals, and homeopathy, if anyone is interested in learning about that stuff. Natural health, in general. She reads like crazy. I doubt anyone is interested in my computer skills. LOL. I never thought I'd be saying that! Well, I once was a country boy and a boy scout, so I just need to get back to my roots. We're in Youngsville, so give a holler if you're nearby and want to help out a newbie.

Oh, shoot. I just remembered. We're going to have some goat kids and chickens that we might be able to barter with. Anyone interested in that? Just email me for more info.

Wow, this was the thread that started it all three years ago!

Jlpechin,

We are having our anual camping meet-up June 8-10. Click on the link in my signature and sign up if your interested. It's $20.00 for the weekend (the whole family)

Whisper
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather