• Advertisement

What do you like best about Spring?

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Re: What do you like best about Spring?

Postby Vina8 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:00 pm

itsadisaster wrote:Thanks Whisper! I'm sorry - I just noticed this was an NC forum and I butted right in even tho I'm way down in Tucson! Kinda new to this forum stuff but loved title of this discussion. Hope the tundra thaws for you soon Alaska Rose! (We need a blue smiley with a scarf on!)

Please don't apologize. As I have told other out-of-state posters, we aren't so cool that we can afford to be exclusive! 8) I don't hesitate to post on other state's forums. I know that the way the list of posts and threads come up on the Portal page it is impossible to know when something is on a state forum.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:16 pm

itsadisaster wrote:Thanks Whisper! I'm sorry - I just noticed this was an NC forum and I butted right in even tho I'm way down in Tucson! Kinda new to this forum stuff but loved title of this discussion. Hope the tundra thaws for you soon Alaska Rose! (We need a blue smiley with a scarf on!)

:D None of the state forums have borders! :D We are happy to see you post here. Like MountainMama said, don't apologize. You're free to post anywhere. If you didn't post in this thread, I would have missed that sweat Bobcat. Drop in anytime.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby itsadisaster » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:16 am

Thank you! (blush) I just love this place -- everyone's so friendly!! :D We've seen SO many cool critters come thru our backyard here on the far east side of Tucson. We've had many bobcats (including 2 babies who played in the water pan we have out for birds), 2 mountain lions, grey foxes, yo-tees, a ringtail cat, coons, hawks, falcons, tons of birds, bats, and bunches of cool creepy crawlies. I imagine most of you see critters galore in rural zones but to see so many in a city this size is fun .. and spring sure brings 'em out! I'll have to load some critter pics on my profile soon. j
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download a free mini ebook portion of IT'S A DISASTER! ...and what are YOU gonna do about it?
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:57 am

I guess I should pay more attention sometimes when I jump in, too, since for sure I don't live in NC, LOL. But NC seems to have some really nice folks here.
Critters in the yard are neat. I took some pictures this morning of a marten eating the food I set out for the Jays. The large fuzzies haven't woke up yet.

https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby allchemik » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:34 am

For me it's about the smell. The whole winter the only thing that is in the air is smoke. Different kind but only the smoke. From ovens, cars, kitchens...

And spring brings the difference. The smell of earth, flowers, trees, resin... brought on the wings of warmth... :rolleyes:
allchemik

Postby tigger2 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:31 am

I love spring. Around here, winter is dark, cold and gloomy. In the spring The temps can vary as much as 40 degrees between night and day or even more. I have seen it be 80 in the afternoon and come a frost at night. The bulb flowers are starting to bloom, daffodils and hyacinths. The motorcycles are out in force. My birds never leave. I put seed and water out for them.
I got doves fat as cornish hens. The squirrels put on a show. We have the gray squirrels. There are fox squirrels up the road but not here. Squirrels are very territorial. Even on my small spot, I have the front yard squirrels and the back yard squirrels. One day my sister and I were outside talking and there were six squirrels running up the yard. I pushed her back and said, look out it's a stampede. LOL
Red Queen: I can give you the code, but first you must do something for me.
Alice: What?
Red Queen: One of your group has been infected. I require her life for the code.

Resident Evil

Region 1
tigger2
Prepper Emeritus

Postby Vina8 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:32 am

I love the pictures and stories, Rose and Disaster! Allchemik, what you wrote is poetry. Tigger, I love that you have "front yard and back yard squirrels." Thank you all for making my day.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby guncat » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:52 am

Ice cream vending season, I get to make a living. :) and get my union liberal family off my case about "You have to get a real job" translation = you make more than us/our kids and you are not a leftist union member like us.
Trust in GOD and the Mauser, old Boer saying.
Trust in GOD and the Mauser plus the prep. old guncat saying.
Just because We raised Sheep does not mean I want to be one.
guncat
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Zombie Axe » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Fresh Vegetables!!!!!!!!! :D
Zombie Axe
North Carolina A.N.T.S. Member
North Carolina A.N.T.S. Member

Postby jhuk05 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:33 pm

a few weeks ago it was in the 70's and you could just smell the grass growing ! That and the sweet breath of my heiffer after she has been eating that tender green grass. and the spring fishing is the best as the hybrids run up the river .... ahhhhhhh its been a long cold winter ... thank you !
Assault is a behavior, not a device. 64,999,987 firearm owners killed no one today !

Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson
jhuk05
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby tigger2 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:35 pm

To me, spring is like an alarm clock. It is time to wake up and get stuff done. I love the spring season.
Red Queen: One of your group has been infected. I require her life for the code.

Resident Evil

Region 1
tigger2
Prepper Emeritus

Postby Whisper » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:46 pm

tigger2 wrote:To me, spring is like an alarm clock. It is time to wake up and get stuff done. I love the spring season.

Amen, although now my back is killing me from all the yard work. :( Another couple of weeks of this though and I'll be feeling pretty sweet! :D
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:29 am

Still another 6 weeks at least, before I get all of that. The snow is not planning on retreating any time soon. My daughter and I have been clearing the wood pile so we can level it better and build some shelter over it. It does smell so niceoutdoors, but here, it does, all winter, too. Just differently.
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby tigger2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:58 pm

Rose,
I have always wanted to live where you do. I envy you in a way. It has to be a hard life. I guess you just have to get hard with it. I am not able to now but in my youth, i would have jumped at the chance. A couple has a blog that lives in Alaska. The husband shot and killed a moose. It took 2 guys to butcher it. The neck weighed 48 pounds. I could not imagine something like that.

Resident Evil

Region 1
tigger2
Prepper Emeritus

Postby Alaska Rose » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:32 am

LOL, my Mom was 82 when she moved up here, are you older than that? A person don't really have to be hard, just a bit flexible.
If you want to see more pictures of what I do or what it looks like here, I have lots of photos on http://www.flickr.com/photos/akbearhunter
I have killed and butchered out very large bull moose. It just takes steady hard work and worrying about what is coming to the scent. I find that if I skin and remove sections as they are skinned, then turn the moose on the hide removed, to skin the other side and remove sections, by the time I get down to the rib cage and pelvic bones on th ebackbone, I can gut it easily and not have so much scent wafting through the air and calling in the large fuzzies. I use a quick change utilty knife to skin and section out a moose and it works fine. Have to change the blade about 3 times, to complete skinning.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather