• Advertisement

What do you like best about Spring?

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Re: What do you like best about Spring?

Postby Whisper » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:06 am

Alaska Rose wrote:LOL, my Mom was 82 when she moved up here, are you older than that? A person don't really have to be hard, just a bit flexible.
If you want to see more pictures of what I do or what it looks like here, I have lots of photos on http://www.flickr.com/photos/akbearhunter
I have killed and butchered out very large bull moose. It just takes steady hard work and worrying about what is coming to the scent. I find that if I skin and remove sections as they are skinned, then turn the moose on the hide removed, to skin the other side and remove sections, by the time I get down to the rib cage and pelvic bones on th ebackbone, I can gut it easily and not have so much scent wafting through the air and calling in the large fuzzies. I use a quick change utilty knife to skin and section out a moose and it works fine. Have to change the blade about 3 times, to complete skinning.

ImageImageImageI am not worthy to be in this thread! Hail to the bear hunter! ImageImageImage
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:31 am

I love your pictures, Alaska Rose! Thank you so much for giving us the link. You remain my hero. You have built a very nice family compound. I also love your creativity and artwork--just flipplin' amazing. We are very lucky to have you on this forum.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby itsadisaster » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:57 am

I totally agree with Whisper & MtM..!!! You're amazin' Alaska Rose and your story could be a bestseller! Better yet - Discovery Channel needs to get up in the tundra zone and do a series!! Like maybe "Bear Hunter Rose" or some catchy title. :D Thank you for flikr link -- your critter pics are just awesome (all of 'em!)
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download a free 58-pg ebook portion of IT'S A DISASTER! ...and what are YOU gonna do about it? with tips about hurricanes, floods, evacuations, wildfires, kits + more
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby sbsion » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 pm

plant, plant, plant, and plant some more...............we're going to need it, RUReady?
there are no mysteries, only undiscovered truths, find one today

-----------------------------------------------
Food, water and first aid problems?
http://www.oursurvival2012.blogspot.com
sbsion

Postby Gen-IL Homesteader » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:17 pm

I love the smell of spring, opening windows, flowers popping out of the earth, veggie growing, fresh strawberries....Everything!

Itsadisaster--very cool bobcat picture! It must be just too cool to see that on a daily basis!

AlaskaRose! You go girl! Woo!
Gen-IL Homesteader
Illinois State Moderator
Illinois State Moderator

Postby Gen-IL Homesteader » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:26 pm

Okay, AlaskaRose I just looked at your flicker photos. They're spectacular! Thank you so much for sharing those! Love them all!

You know, 2 or 3 years ago, we saw the northern lights here (north of chicago) on Dec. 14th. It was the wildest thing ever! I just happened to go outside to close up the chickens and looked up for the surprise of our lives! Had to watch the 10 o'clock new to make sure they confirmed what we saw.
Gen-IL Homesteader
Illinois State Moderator
Illinois State Moderator

Postby Whisper » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Gen-IL Homesteader wrote:Okay, AlaskaRose I just looked at your flicker photos. They're spectacular! Thank you so much for sharing those! Love them all!

You know, 2 or 3 years ago, we saw the northern lights here (north of chicago) on Dec. 14th. It was the wildest thing ever! I just happened to go outside to close up the chickens and looked up for the surprise of our lives! Had to watch the 10 o'clock new to make sure they confirmed what we saw.

I always wanted to see that! :(

Alright here it comes.... 100 preppers are about to rub my nose in it saying how awesome it is! Well :floppytongue:
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby mr bill » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Rose,thank you so much for the tour! I am so glad you have chosen this forum to be a part of. We are indeed blessed to have you here Thanks again! mb
Leader zone 5, Clarke County
P!
mr bill

Postby Alaska Rose » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:36 am

Okay, you all did it, you got me blushing, even. I guess mainly I wanted to show that with very little money and a lot of determination and hard work, anyone can do something that they want. It might only be a small thing or a very large scale item. Just stick to it. The impossible only takes a little longer.

I love watching the aurora, the only problem for most folks is that it has to be dark enough to see them, and that usually happens here in the Winter. Somehow, most folks don't really want to see them that badly.

I am just so glad to find folks interested in the stuff I enjoy, thanks again.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Alaska Rose » Mon May 10, 2010 1:55 am

LOL, it is finally maybe Spring. The very beginnings of green leaves peaking through on the trees and brush and a few tufts of green grass showing. So within 10 days or less, it will be full blown Summer here. Spring happens very quickly once it starts here. There is still a little bit of snow in protected areas or where it drifted deeply in Winter. I should go check for Pasque flowers. They pop out as soon as the snow recedes.
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Vina8 » Mon May 10, 2010 8:52 am

Alaska Rose wrote:LOL, it is finally maybe Spring. The very beginnings of green leaves peaking through on the trees and brush and a few tufts of green grass showing. So within 10 days or less, it will be full blown Summer here. Spring happens very quickly once it starts here. There is still a little bit of snow in protected areas or where it drifted deeply in Winter. I should go check for Pasque flowers. They pop out as soon as the snow recedes.

LOL! Congratulations on finally making it to spring.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Alaska Rose » Tue May 11, 2010 2:46 am

I was hauling soil in a wheelbarrow to fill one raised planter bed I built a few days ago. A huge roll of thunder overhead and a dash for the house, then hail, mixed with hard rain, yes, it is Spring. Sun was out by this afternoon. Going to see if the dozer will fire up tomorrow to do some leveling for the drill rig to set up for getting a well out here. I do miss running water that I don't have to run to get.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Vina8 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:43 am

Alaska Rose wrote:I was hauling soil in a wheelbarrow to fill one raised planter bed I built a few days ago. A huge roll of thunder overhead and a dash for the house, then hail, mixed with hard rain, yes, it is Spring. Sun was out by this afternoon. Going to see if the dozer will fire up tomorrow to do some leveling for the drill rig to set up for getting a well out here. I do miss running water that I don't have to run to get.

A well would be a great benefit. You have so far to go for water. Do you have any idea how deep you have to go? Being on top of a hill here, our well is several hundred feet making it too deep to use an auxiliary hand pump in emergencies.
Vina8

Postby Alaska Rose » Wed May 12, 2010 2:14 am

We will probably have to go around 300 feet so auxiliary hand pump won't work for us, either. I do have a 500 gallon storage tank for water in the utility room and my daughter has a 300 gallon one in hers. Plus the 15 gallon polydrums and 5 gallon containers we use now. We plan on keeping everything full all the time.
The dozer fired up like a champ, and did a great job clearing off all the ground that was thawed and chipping away a bit at ground that was still frozen. Only slid sideways toward the edge of the bank on frozen soil a couple of times, that certainly ups the pucker factor, LOL. Will let it thaw a few days and scrape it down some more. Made some nice little track ripples in her driveway, so they will slow down anyone driving through now. Not as bad as washboard road, but getting there.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

This is a great share

Postby linda370 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:22 am

This is a great share,thanks
linda370

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather