• Advertisement

NC Wild Turkeys

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Re: NC Wild Turkeys

Postby Vina8 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Great shot, ZA! We haven't seen a tom since the season started. There has been at least one or two hens in our yard everyday. One is usually by herself which is unusual until we read that they split up from the flock to nest and lay eggs in late April. I am glad you posted that picture so Whisper will want to hang out in your yard instead of mine! ;)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:15 pm

ZA - Nice Pic. I'll take that one in the back with the head up. MTM will clean and cook it for me. And of course deliver it! :evil:
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Zombie Axe » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:07 pm

If you can catch her with your bare hands, she is yours :thumbsup:
Zombie Axe
North Carolina A.N.T.S. Member

Postby Vina8 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:55 pm

Zombie Axe wrote:If you can catch her with your bare hands, she is yours :thumbsup:

Hey, Whisper. ZA is talking about the turkey hen! Image
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:17 am

MountainMama wrote:
Zombie Axe wrote:If you can catch her with your bare hands, she is yours :thumbsup:

Hey, Whisper. ZA is talking about the turkey hen! Image

I think I need some training and guidance. Perhaps if I watch you run after it a few times. Image
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby maustypsu » Sat May 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Haven't been able to check in for awhile. So here's a quick recap of my season.

Opening day had one come into about 75 yards. Either saw somethin he didn't like or the fog coming over the hill pushed him to his strut zone a little early. But he turned and walked away. Came back later but I was out of position (tried to get him to come in somewhere else - impatiently).

Second day out was that Wed. Shot a nice three year old that morning. 11" beard and I was able to use his spurs to shave that morning - sharp!

Had a buddy down who shot his second ever turkey (got him his first last year). It was a Jake that he was able to get within 8 feet. Not bad for his second in about 4 years of turkey hunting.

Birds really shut up. They've been spotted in the fields but don't care for calls, decoys, completely silent, etc. On Thursday evening I had a bird completely ignore me. Assumed we were still in that lull. But Saturday am, I got right on him and he was fired up. Gobbled every few minutes. He was in an area that I couldn't get up hill from him - up against a creek. So I worked him but he wouldn't come down hill. A hen from across the creek and I fought for him. I think she won because he shut up and disappeared.

My dad is in this week for a hunt. It will be a quick one but maybe we'll get lucky. It's been a fun season but the hunting has been difficult. Not sure if it is the change in agriculture or the increase in coyotes but the season has been goofy.
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator
North Carolina State Moderator

Postby Whisper » Sat May 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Sweet! I heard MtM shot her big toe off! Image
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks for the recap, M. I was wondering if you did any good. The toms all disappeared on us as soon as the season started, although hens were around here every day. We were lazy and didn't go deep into the woods and stake out for one. Whisper would love to go hunting, but he is in the category of people they don't let have guns, if you know what I mean? Image I am glad you are back online. Keep in touch.
Vina8

Postby Zombie Axe » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:54 pm

Just finished bush hogging yesterday around the farm and it really seems to bring out the Crows and Turkeys! They love looking for bugs in that now short grass :wave:
Zombie Axe

Previous

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather