• Advertisement

NC Wild Turkeys

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Re: NC Wild Turkeys

Postby Vina8 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Hah! I took that picture from my second-story bedroom window--not the motion sensor camera.Image And, no, you cannot shoot turkey from my bedroom window!Image The only times we have seen them in the yard is when it is drizzling rain. DH is hoping for some rain soon!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:43 pm

maustypsu wrote:
MountainMama wrote:That sounds like a nice day. Good luck on opening day.

You better hope I have a good day. Otherwise, I'll have to track down your trail camera and sit right in front of it to help control the turkey population on your land. I know they're there... :p

I don't think so, I already called dibs! Image
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby maustypsu » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:07 pm

No worries, whisper. Nothing wrong with us taking a double. :tank:
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:37 pm

:floppytongue: I don't think so. There may not be any turkeys left for you.Image
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:47 pm

Ya think so! Image
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:01 pm

DH has been practicing his turkey calls :eek: What an awful sound to be woken up to in the morning!
Vina8

Postby maustypsu » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:56 pm

4 days 'til you guys all post your pics for me to be jealous about. Gonna cool off Sat so hope they're gobbling.
maustypsu

Postby Whisper » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:14 pm

Advanced preview! Image
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby maustypsu » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Whisper, I don't see the actual pics now that you have downed your bird. How did everyone do???

I tried to get fancy and cost myself one. Rather than set up where I had planned I tried to get between multiple gobbling birds about 100 or so yards away from my original plan. Sure enough they all shut up but one at fly down time. I watched him walk right past where I had planned to be. I called and he began to close in on me. Then a fog came blowing threw. He changed directions and stayed in front of it until out of view. I've got a few days at the end of this week with a friend who is coming in from out of town. I'll mainly be babysitting and calling for him but maybe we'll get a chance for a double or I can get one in an afternoon if he fills his tag in the morning.
maustypsu

Postby Vina8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:59 pm

We haven't done any hunting yet. My husband is going to wait until it rains. That is the only time we see turkeys around here. Sorry you missed a chance, M. Hopefully, next time...
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:29 pm

maustypsu wrote:Whisper, I don't see the actual pics now that you have downed your bird. How did everyone do???

I tried to get fancy and cost myself one. Rather than set up where I had planned I tried to get between multiple gobbling birds about 100 or so yards away from my original plan. Sure enough they all shut up but one at fly down time. I watched him walk right past where I had planned to be. I called and he began to close in on me. Then a fog came blowing threw. He changed directions and stayed in front of it until out of view. I've got a few days at the end of this week with a friend who is coming in from out of town. I'll mainly be babysitting and calling for him but maybe we'll get a chance for a double or I can get one in an afternoon if he fills his tag in the morning.

I'd love to but I have no time this year. I'm busy fixing my house so I can sell it next spring. I need to get back into the country. I'm just busting on MTM with the turkey stuff. However, I fully expect her to get out there and shoot me one, clean it, cook it and deliver it if she knows what's good for her! :evil:
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm

You got it, Spider Boy. You wait for me, I'll be right over with it. Image
Vina8

Postby Whisper » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:45 pm

Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:13 pm

For the last couple of days we have had one or two hen turkeys in our front yard on and off all day. BUT NO TOMS!
Vina8

Postby Zombie Axe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Here are some turkey hens from back in September on a rainy Sunday afternoon using my DSLR with a 250 mm lens from my back porch. Wish it was a little brighter, but not too bad for a dreary afternoon!

They keep the ticks down :gunshooting:

I don't enjoy wild turkey myself, but it is nice to have 'meat on the hoof' if I ever need it... Just not that hungry for them now :shakeno:

They are very majestic animals and I love to see them pick around the grass, very fun to watch :)
Zombie Axe
North Carolina A.N.T.S. Member
North Carolina A.N.T.S. Member

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather