• Advertisement

Nontraditional Prepping Fiction

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Re: Nontraditional Prepping Fiction

Postby cheylynn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:32 am

My husband is reading Lights Out written by one of the preppers that is on Youtube and other places. Can't remember his name right now. He is really enjoying it and it's making him think differently about prepping and other things.

Vina8! Diana Gabaldon is my ALL TIME favorite! In fact it is because of the character Claire that I want to do the foraging class. Ever since I read the first one, I wanted to be more like Claire. I've got a medical background in animals, but that's where it stops. I've always wished I was born back in the old days or could go there, and who knows might get my wish before I leave this world. I just want to be prepared before it happens. :)

I had the whole series in paperback, hardback and audio, but I just gave the paperbacks away. Both my son and daughter have read all but the last book through at least 3 times, as well as myself.

I also like Anne McCaffrey. I wouldn't have thought of some of the books you all mentioned as being a prepping type book until some of the things and books were mentioned. Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series is a bunch of very experienced people that land on another planet and actually revert to old ways of doing things and then evolve. Many of her first books were very short but they are all very good. Her son has followed in her footsteps and is carrying on the legacy of writing in this series. She is my other all time favorite.

Most all of the books I read I set in the days of Knights, kings and kingdoms, usually in Scotland, but also Ireland and England.

Oh and I guess Gone With The Wind and Scarlett should fit in there too right?
cheylynn
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Vina8 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:33 pm

I have read some of Anne McCaffrey's books, but it has been a long time. I need to re-read some of my old favorites. I too love the historical novels set in the British Isles. And, yep, Scarlett went from a southern princess to a survivor. I am so happy to find another fan of Diana Gabaldon! We will have to talk at the camp-out! Claire is the ultimate prepper/survivor! It doesn't hurt to have a big, strapping Jaime at your side.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby cheylynn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:19 pm

I was thinking the same thing! Might have to dust em off and reread a few between now and the camp out so things are fresh in my mind! My daughter will be there too and she has read them also. YIPPEEE!! Everyone I've lent books to has become a fan! Most people have never heard of her. There are some trips in Scotland that will take you to the places or similiar places to what is decribed in the books. My daughter and I are always talking about taking a trip to Scotland and going to see some of the places in the books.

They've talked about making movies, but I think it would destroy the ideas and pictures I have in my head. I've read forums and most peoples ideas of people to play Jaime and Claire I totally disagree with!
cheylynn

Postby Vina8 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:53 pm

I agree with everything you just wrote! When I saw her in Arizona, Diana talked about the problem of selling the moving rights. I don't like the people whose names are proposed for the characters either.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby biddu » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:02 pm

Except for some language I really enjoyed Lucifers Hammer. It was written in in the late 60's or early 70's but still a very good book when read in the context of that era. It was kind of like watching a really good old movie. In a nutshell a big comet causes some big problems and the survivors of that then have to deal with the golden horde.
biddu

Postby Vina8 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:41 pm

I remember reading Lucifer's Hammer. In fact, I think I still have it on a shelf someplace. It was a good book for TEOTWAWKI scenario.
Vina8

Postby cheylynn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Lights Out was written by Dave Crawford aka halffast
cheylynn

Postby cityhomesteader » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:07 pm

My Favorite Survival Type Scifi Author is Ann McCaffery and her Pern series Books.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonriders_of_Pern

The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall Tells of a scientific team sent to a planet to colonize it..A catastrophe brings it to their knees and the people have to begin from Scratch using low tech to help them survive..
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby cheylynn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:47 pm

Yep! As I said earlier she is my other favorite author. I can't choose between her and Diana Gabaldon. Their works are different and I so enjoy reading both! I have many of her books and several on audio too. I like the audio because I can work and not have to stop "reading".

I've played several of the online RPG games and when I do I'm usually Lessa and use many of the character names for other characters or places.

I'm going to have to get one of my books out and start reading, but I really wanted to read this Lights Out book first that my husband is about to finish up. Maybe I'll pull a 2fer and read one at home and listen to another at work.
cheylynn

Postby cityhomesteader » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:19 am

cheylynn wrote:Yep! As I said earlier she is my other favorite author. I can't choose between her and Diana Gabaldon. Their works are different and I so enjoy reading both! I have many of her books and several on audio too. I like the audio because I can work and not have to stop "reading".

I've played several of the online RPG games and when I do I'm usually Lessa and use many of the character names for other characters or places.

I'm going to have to get one of my books out and start reading, but I really wanted to read this Lights Out book first that my husband is about to finish up. Maybe I'll pull a 2fer and read one at home and listen to another at work.

My Favorite is the Harper hall series.. Love Melony, Piemur and the Master Harper..
http://www.futurefiction.com/harper_hall_trilogy.htm
Cityhomesteader
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
cityhomesteader

Postby Vina8 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:35 am

I am not familiar with that, City. I will check it out.
Vina8

Postby cityhomesteader » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Vina8 wrote:I am not familiar with that, City. I will check it out.

I absolutely Loved Ann McCaffey..Now her son Todd is writing..He is OK..but has a more Male perspective which tends to be not as "Clean" as Ann wrote. She is well published. I like those books because it shows the Human determination to survive even the harshest environment and prosper.
Cityhomesteader
cityhomesteader

Postby cheylynn » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:14 am

I so agree city!
cheylynn

Postby MrApple » Tue May 08, 2012 2:17 pm

If you haven't read it give "Parable of the Sower" by Octavia Butler a try. Economic malaise and financial ruin, walled off communities holding off the "sea" of the unprepared, and an increasingly oppressive local government haunts the life of the main character, Lauren. This book, sadly, depicts a more than likely future for the once great America. :'(
MrApple

Postby Worst-Case-Rob » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:53 pm

"fewer" By R.A.Bratyanski ( That's me BTW) and it's follow-up "The Fingerless Hand"
Worst-Case-Rob

Previous

Return to North Carolina Discussion, News and Weather