• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Oxygen Absorbers

General Discussions for North Carolina Preppers

Moderator: maustypsu

Oxygen Absorbers

Postby maustypsu » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:53 pm

So I've looked this up on google and some sites that selll them. I see they come in different CC quanitities. I have no idea what that means. How many CC's do you need for a 5 gallon bucket?

I can get 20 5 gallon mylar bags and 20 2000 cc oxygen absorbers for $60. I can get 5 gallon food grade buckets for under $7 each. Is this a fair price?
maustypsu
North Carolina State Moderator

Re: Oxygen Absorbers

Postby Vina8 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:33 am

For comparison, here is our source for oxygen absorbers and mylar bags. http://sorbentsystems.com/order_O2.html
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

V8

Vina8's blog: http://ncpreppers.com/
Vina8's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ncpreppers
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby markerman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:54 am

Oxygen Absorbers

These packets eliminate the presence of oxygen in foodstuffs such as grain and milk powder, ensuring long-term shelf stability. They are commonly seen in beef jerky where they prevent mold while eliminating the use of chemical preservative and have been used by the US military to extend the shelf-life of bread for combat troops to up to two years.

How does one calculate the amount of oxygen in the container?

Below are listed the volumes (in cubic centimeters) of various containers. The most important number to know is that, air is 21.0% oxygen.

Number 10 cans (3,980)
3,980 cc x .21 = 835.80

5 gallon plastic pails (18,942)
19,000 cc x .21 = 3,990

6 gallon plastic pails (22,730.4)
22,800 cc x 21.0 = 4,788

There are two key elements to keep in mind. One is the headspace and the other is the voidspace. If a five-gallon bucket were filled to the rim with marbles, the spaces in between the marbles (void spaces) would represent 38% of the volume of the five-gallon pail (0.38 x 19,000 = 7,220 cc's). Of this number, 21% is oxygen. So if the marbles were FOOD, a 5 gallon pail would have almost 1500 cubic centimeters of oxygen that must be removed in order to insure viable long term food storage.

The next item to consider is the headspace. If you fill a number ten can to 90% of its volume, you will have 398 cubic centimeters of headspace. This headspace will contain 81.6 cubic centimeters of oxygen (0.205 x 398 = 81.6). In order to determine how much oxygen absorbing capacity you require, we must determine the oxygen level in the headspace AND the void space.

There are 231 cubic inches in a gallon and 16.4 cubic centimeters in a cubic inch. Oxygen absorbers are rated by their capacity to absorb oxygen as measured in cubic centimeters.

OXYGEN ABSORBERS (300's and 750's are the most commonly used sizes)

Are you packing food in ball® jars? 50 cc absorbers are perfect for this application.

There are several different formulations for oxygen absorbers depending on whether food is frozen, refrigerated or destined for long-term storage. The most critical component for evaluation is the water activity level (AW). All dry grain legumes, milk powder and pasta products have very low water activity levels. Thus, they require an oxygen absorber which has rapid activation. These oxygen absorbers are working within minutes of the package being opened. When packaging food for long-term storage, you should use the entire contents of one sealed vacuum packet bag within 30 to 60 minutes. If you know that you will be unable to use the entire quantity, set those packets aside in a small, clean, and dry glass jar with a secure screw-top lid. (A jam or pickle jar will work fine.)

How much oxygen absorbent capacity do you need for standard containers?

We recommend 1500 cc's of oxygen absorbing capacity for 5 and 6 gallon pails. Thus, you could use 5 individual 300 cc packets, or 3 individual 500 cc packets, or 2 individual 750 cc packets.

For a one gallon pail, we recommend using one 300 cc absorber. For smaller containers (example: Mason jars) that are approximately one quart, we do provide 50 cc absorbers. However, these are packaged 250 per pouch with 5,400 per case. So you may wish to simply over compensate and utilize some of your 300 cc oxygen absorbers if this is for private use.

For more info see: http://sorbentsystems.com/longtermfoodstorage.html
markerman
California Preppers Network
California Preppers Network

Postby Muzhik » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Wow! Thanks for the explanations!
Everyone throws stones at the prophet ....
But when the crisis appears everyone says "Why did you not warn us?"
Muzhik
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby maustypsu » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Thank you markerman. That is the most comprehensive description I've been able to find in my search. There was a lot of info but nothing that pulled it all together. So clearly a 2000 cc will suffice for a 5 gallon bucket sized mylar bag for long term storage.

Good news is that I just found a fantastic 7 grain mix here locally. I made it this morning and tried small bits of it several different ways using honey, cinnamon and brown sugar in all different sorts of combinations of 1-3. Fantastic each way and even on its own with a bit of milk!!! Definately something that would have lots of uses and a mix of grains that I would consider having in long term storage. Anyone else near Wake Forest interested, please let me know. Also got an invite to a cannery while I was in the grain shop - said it was the same equipment used in the LDS canneries.
maustypsu

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Was looking for a photo of what a Mylar bag looks like, after you put in an oxygen absorber and found this interesting blog post:

Followup on Mylar Bags
http://krissimplyliving.blogspot.com/20 ... -bags.html

Read blog post, above. It compares using a hand warmer to an oxygen absorber. Photos, included. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby maustypsu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:36 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Was looking for a photo of what a Mylar bag looks like, after you put in an oxygen absorber and found this interesting blog post:

Followup on Mylar Bags
http://krissimplyliving.blogspot.com/20 ... -bags.html

Read blog post, above. It compares using a hand warmer to an oxygen absorber. Photos, included. -k

I've read a bunch about this but haven't tried it.
maustypsu

Postby Whisper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm going through some of the older threads that have been buried and should be looked at again for all of the new people. SO

Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:39 pm

Good info, Whisper. People often post questions about this.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

V8

Vina8's blog: http://ncpreppers.com/
Vina8's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ncpreppers
Vina8

Postby tchester » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:24 am

I have heard that hand warmers act in the same way as oxygen absorbers? anyone with any feedback on that claim?
Appalachian State University c/o 2012
BS Appropriate Technology (Renewable Energy)
Minor - Sustainable Development, Agroecology/Agroforestry
tchester

Postby maustypsu » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:44 pm

tchester wrote:I have heard that hand warmers act in the same way as oxygen absorbers? anyone with any feedback on that claim?

It's true, they do. But O2 absorbers are about $0.50 so there isn't much of an advantage to the handwarmers that I have found.

It's funny to look back on this thread. When I started this thread, the majority of my long term food storage was freeze dried or MRE's. Now those are just a few things I have around. Now I've gotten this so dialed in that I know I can fit 6lbs of pinto beans or 6 and 1/2 pounds of split peas in a 1 gallon bag. Then fit 4 of those into the 4 1/2 gallon buckets I get locally for free. So I always buy 13 pounds of split peas and know that I'm doing 2 gallons at a time.

That's a long way from not knowing how to figure out how many cc's of 02 absorption I needed in different size bags. For those who aren't sure how to do this or think it is complicated - the way I figured it out was to try. Just do it. You have nothing to lose
maustypsu

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:34 am

Hand Warmers-Oxygen Absorber Substitute! -YouTube Video

So, here's a GREAT idea, in a video that explains just how hand warmers can be a substitute for oxygen absorbers:

Oxygen absorbers, their dirty little secret exposed

Description "Oxygen absorber, There dirty little secret exposedJust something else those greedy corporations do not want the general public to know about. They would have you believe that those little packets contain some magical concoction they alone can manufacture. ..... "
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:34 am

:? QUESTION about using Hand warmers: When we use them for ourselves, they feel H*O*T. So ... what does that heat do to the food? -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby maustypsu » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:16 pm

I've never seen the benefit of Hand Warmers. I can get 100, 300CC absorbers for $17 and use 5 on a 5 gallon bag for less than a buck. Unless you are sucking the oxygen out of a 55 gallon drum, I'm not sure you're getting much benefit.
maustypsu

Return to General North Carolina Discussions