• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Steel Cargo Container

Long Term/Short Term Survival Shelters. Constructions tips and ideas.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

Re: Steel Cargo Container

Postby Carborendum » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:49 pm

In this configuration, filling the gap with concrete would not do much for the strength. It would make it closer to bullet proof.

Welding 1/4" plates will make it strong enough to support the soil load. But there are some disadvantages to this design.

1) How are you going to move plates that large and position them properly for welding?
2) You need someone skilled in welding to gage thicknesses or you're going to just make a bunch of holes.
3) That is almost 8 tons of steel. Isn't plate steel at around $1500/ton right now? Unless you have a source of free steel, that's a chunk a change.

It would be a lot easier and cheaper just to pour an 8" thick wall of concrete around the outside.

See the following post for info on costs per square foot:

viewtopic.php?f=125&t=18691&p=164852#p164852
The measure of a man's character is what he chooses to do when he has the freedom to treat others poorly.
"When the world ends, everybody's dead for the rest of their lives." A very bright 4 y.o.
Carborendum
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby Tom Bergstrand » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EAJex1 ... e=youtu.be

This guy spent a bit too much BUT you can do the same thing for less and be happy.
Tom in Kingman Arizona
Oath Keeper #005181
Kingman Lodge #22 F&AM Kingman Arizona
U.S. Paratrooper
Tom Bergstrand
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:22 pm

AlabamaPoleCat wrote:Carb, I've been thunking... I know I know a dangerious proposition in it'self ;) Since the side walls are coragated what about welding 8x4 1/4" plate to the outside and inside? Maybe filling the gap with concret?

You can re-enforce and waterproof as I've said in other posts. But like Carb, Concrete is way to go. With all the money you spend on the shipping container and steal, you might as well just use concrete. You can even use concrete blocks in two interlocking rows. Just make sure you waterproof it with a waterproof membrane.
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby lndtrdr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:07 pm

An advantage of a container is that they can be moved. Also I hear they can be made pretty secure from normal attempts to break in. In any case it might be better to leave them movable. Use something else to protect them from the elements, but leave the option open for moving them. In some situations we might need to relocate, and wouldn't it be great to be able to take our preps with us.
lndtrdr

Postby AlabamaPoleCat » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Carborendum wrote:In this configuration, filling the gap with concrete would not do much for the strength. It would make it closer to bullet proof.

Welding 1/4" plates will make it strong enough to support the soil load. But there are some disadvantages to this design.

1) How are you going to move plates that large and position them properly for welding?
2) You need someone skilled in welding to gage thicknesses or you're going to just make a bunch of holes.
3) That is almost 8 tons of steel. Isn't plate steel at around $1500/ton right now? Unless you have a source of free steel, that's a chunk a change.

It would be a lot easier and cheaper just to pour an 8" thick wall of concrete around the outside.

See the following post for info on costs per square foot:

http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/ ... 52#p164852

LOL thanks Carb, hey I'm a concept guy... every Pitney has to have a Bowes.. or is it every Bowes has to have a Pitney. ;)

Would thiner Plate work? or prehaps I should ask what would the thinnest Plate that would work be? 3/16", 1/8".... Just thunking again... stand back the smoke is pourin' out. ;)
Revelations: " Good guys win Bad guys lose"

"One of the penalties of not participating in politics is that you will be governed by your inferiors." Plato
Sheep Dogs Unite!

Your god with his hammer loses the final battle. My God wins the final battle. Any questions?
AlabamaPoleCat
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby Carborendum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:26 pm

For the most part, this would not be a realistic design unless you can get free steel. I've done just standard container walls and found that they will only support about a 3' to 4' soil depth for most soils. I'm estimating that about 1/8" plate would be required for a full height bury. Then if you want to add more soil to bury the top of the container, you'd have to make it thicker.

Usually, people want to bury the container with 3' to 4' of soil on top of the container. This would require a full 1/4" plate on both sides of each wall.

The most practical underground design that I've seen that used a shipping container was like this:

1) Dig a HUGE pit that is a bit longer than the container x 3 times the width. Make the sides slope somewhat.
2) Spray the sides with some plaster/cement/concrete/stucco to keep it from sloughing. Spray it from top to bottom to the foot of the container.
3) Make a stairway to the opening that will allow for the container doors to open and for walking space around the sides of the container.
4) Have minor formwork above. Pour a structural concrete slab on top.
5) Either bury or expose the concrete slab on top.

You get a more protected container, some extra space around the sides. And not a huge increase in construction cost beyond the cost of the container.

Costs (may vary):

$3200 for a 40' high cube.
$5/yd of excavation.
$1/bd ft for Spray concrete.
$1/sq ft for formwork.
$3 to $4 / sq ft for 8" thick reinforced slab.
The measure of a man's character is what he chooses to do when he has the freedom to treat others poorly.
"When the world ends, everybody's dead for the rest of their lives." A very bright 4 y.o.
Carborendum

Postby Frugalsurvivalist » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:31 am

If you are going to sink money into shipping containers my suggestion is to get the 40ft High Cube RFER units. I have 2 units, the interior is stainless steel, its already insulated and you can find them stacked up at any Port or through online brokers. As far as shipping costs, 3 years ago I had mine shipped to my location for around $550.00 each. (300 miles) I paid $3000.00 for one unit, and $3800.00 for the other. They were in great condition. Another reason I suggest the refer units is that they are inspected more often and are usually better shape. One unit I have has 2 patch repairs on the outside, the other is perfect. Both units are sitting above ground and I have never had a leak as of yet.

Note: My shipping cost of 3 years ago has probable doubled, maybe more

http://www.seacoglobal.com/assets/uploa ... DITED_.pdf
Jeff Jones
Alpharetta, GA
Region 2
Thefrugalsurvivalist.com
Frugalsurvivalist

Postby Top Shot Welding » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:03 pm

I own a mobile welding and fab business in Middle TN , I have worked with a few clients on Cargo containers for BOL. 9times out of 10 there is so much bracing envolved that it is sometimes cheaper to build out an all new bunker with new material. They do however work well with side hill locations when 2 are placed side by side and dirt is bermed up and blended in the hillside. I also pretty much scrap the doors and build out new ones. The out side is coated in a 1/4 inch thick rubberized spray on material. Hope this sheds a little light for you

TSW.
Top Shot Welding

Postby off the x » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:18 am

i have buried three 53 footers side by side everyone needs to be sand blasted patched if need then use a hull epoxy paint but these thing were readily available to me the tops of all had 1/4 inch steel plates welded one then four inch Ibeams welded across the top in between the containers an around the outside used concreate footers run the same four inch ibeams from footer to ibeams across the top an welded them an to the sides then sprayed with the hull epoxy 6 or 7 times an it has been 8 feet in the ground since 1997 make sure you have good ventilation an over pressure valve
off the x

Previous

Return to Survival Shelters