• Advertisement

DIY Dry stacked concrete block Shelter

Long Term/Short Term Survival Shelters. Constructions tips and ideas.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

Re: DIY Dry stacked concrete block Shelter

Postby Muzhik » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:21 pm

TaffyJ, You can easily make a shipping container look nice. For one thing, you'll have to take off the door and put in a normal "front" with a window and door. That by itself will make a world of difference. You'll also be wanting to paint the blessed thing. An article I saw on Bob Villa's website about this mentioned using a new paint that was basically paint-on ceramic. Once the paint bonded to the metallic surface, the ceramic coating didn't insulate the metal so much as keep the heat from ever reaching the metal. A fresh coat of paint can make almost everything look nice.
Everyone throws stones at the prophet ....
But when the crisis appears everyone says "Why did you not warn us?"
Muzhik
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:51 pm

Muzhik wrote:As for HOW the sump pumps work (since I imagine they've made improvements in the last 30 years), I honestly don't know -- you'd have to ask an expert. I think the one in our house used a floater, and the water was pumped directly into city sewer system. In a wet season, it might go off maybe once a day for about five minutes, so we weren't talking a lot of water.

I'll take your word on the alligator.

When I lived in Jersey and PA pumping water directly into the city sewer was illegal in our area. :thumbdown: in both states, we had to run a pipe to the outside through the basement walls. Here in NC, land of the free, it's piped into the sewer pipe in our basement. :thumbup: Although it's more noisy. :thumbdown: But I still live in a free (for now) state! :thumbup:
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Who is John Gall » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:15 pm

I am with you, Whisper, I like NC. We are thinking of moving there in the next few years.
Who is John Gall

Postby Vina8 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 pm

That is good news, Who... Unlike Whisper, my doctor is not a prepper, and I would like to have someone with your medical expertise in my neck of the woods! It would save me from using that suture stapler! :eek: ( :offtopic: Sorry, everyone.)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:03 pm

MountainMama wrote:That is good news, Who... Unlike Whisper, my doctor is not a prepper, and I would like to have someone with your medical expertise in my neck of the woods! It would save me from using that suture stapler! :eek: ( :offtopic: Sorry, everyone.)

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TaffyJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:01 am

Is about $2,500 to $3000 a normal price for a container? (8x40)
Shrug
TaffyJ
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Muzhik » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:34 am

From everything I've read, yes.
Everyone throws stones at the prophet ....
But when the crisis appears everyone says "Why did you not warn us?"
Muzhik
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby Hansel1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:54 am

One way to water prove the inside of concrete walls and basements is to clean it all down to the raw concrete and then give it several coats of epoxy paint or epoxy raisin. On the outside I have successfully used tar. Don't forget, most water leaks come from the boundary between floor and wall and it would be great to have that seamless up to a foot or two. On the outside, prepare the soil before you poor the floor and walls by making sure you have at least 1 food of gravel and that the water that could accumulate there actually has a way to run off. I found that digging a hole away from the building about 10ftx10ftx10ft filling it with gravel and then having a gravel filled channel from below the house going there will give water the perfect way to collect and dissipate into the ground below. Top the channel and gravel hole with a layer of clay or other material to prevent water from the top soil to penetrate and to prevent dirt from saturating the gravel. Of course all that does not work if your water table is high. My current home is half way up a small hill, it had water problems in the basement, the sump pump used to run during dry or rainy days. I had someone install water proving on the outside (the town here insists in its rules that this is done by a licensed company). When they had the outside all dug up, I asked then to go a bit deeper, fill gravel and have a ditch going to the outside of the hill on the down hill side and fill this with a 2 ft layer of gravel. You should see the water that comes out at the end of this after a prolonged rain its like having a spring and its perfect for watering the garden below it lol. During dry times the ground near the end of this ditch is always damp. The sump pump has never come on again (giving me peace of mind during power outages) and we have an absolute dry basement.

John
Hansel1

Postby Hansel1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:55 am

TaffyJ wrote:Is about $2,500 to $3000 a normal price for a container? (8x40)

Delivered? yes
Make sure you get a container used for hauling refrigerated goods this way it is already insulated.

John
Hansel1

Postby TaffyJ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:00 pm

One thing that concerns me and I have seen others mention it, is what may have been transported in a container. Probably no way to know or control that. I recently got 3 used 55 gal plastic drums to store water out at my acreage, which has no utilities. The guy I got them from said they had contained carwash soap. For 2 of them, I believe that. The 3rd had a funky smell. I"ll only use that one to put out fires. I won't even water the garden with that, much less drink from it.
Long story short, I'd be picky enough to only trust a new container, or one that I could be sure what had been in it.
Shrug
TaffyJ

Postby Hansel1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:39 pm

If you buy containers that where used to haul refrigerated goods, then the inside by law has to be stainless steel..and it is, the outside is regular steel, then, there is between 4 and 6 inches of insulation and then there is a stainless steel inside shell. I do not care what was transported in it, the beauty of stainless steel is that it can not be contaminated and so there is nothing that a good wash and disinfection can not get rid off. One reason 18 wheel tankers can haul different materials, and are mostly made of stainless all it takes between hauls is to wash it out.

John
Hansel1

Previous

Return to Survival Shelters