• Advertisement

The off grid survival cabin

Long Term/Short Term Survival Shelters. Constructions tips and ideas.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

Re: The off grid survival cabin

Postby Scoutmaster » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Whisper wrote:I've been on many sites and have learned so much from people that posted what they have done. I think it inspires people. Some of the best posts that I have seen were from people who posted pictures of cabins in the back woods and told us what they did and how they did it. If anyone has done this here, Please show us of some pics and tell us what you've done. Inspire us! :D

Not sure what you are looking for: there really is not much difference, if any. Other than one is on grid and the other is off. We have many Amish here in Michigan that do not have electricity and there house looks just like others they just use different ways to make light and heat. I have just what you are talking about and I wired it for solar not grid. I have had people come over and they had no Idea it was off grid. But I do not store anything there so its not worth breaking into
PREPPERS SAVE THE EXCUSES, IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING TIME, IT'S ABOUT MAKING TIME, IF IT MATTERS YOU WILL HAVE TIME
Every one has priorities, different for each of us, main reasons most of us can not form a group that will last our priorities are all different so are you. REMEMBER, IF YOUR PREP PRIORITIES ARE LOWER THEN THE PEOPLE YOU CAN'T WORK WITH, THEY MIGHT MAKE IT AND YOU WON'T, DON'T BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING YOU HELP LATER, WHEN YOU FAIL LATER AND YOUR IN TROUBLE. BLAME YOUR PRIORITIES.
Scoutmaster
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:15 pm

My thoughts about an off the grid cabin is one that has a wood stove but no flue (pipe hidden in a cache near by) A sink with no apparent water source, windows that look useless (glazing hidden under the floor boards) and boarded over. Bare stud walls because the insulation is on the outside and trap door porch. (broken boards that trap intruders feet). How to live in it? Take boards off of windows to cover porch. Reinstall glazing and flue and run hidden flexible pipe from well to sink. The more uninhabitable it looks the better.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Scoutmaster » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:38 am

Ok I guess I did not understand the way the question was stated:
The more uninhabitable it looks the better.
?? why would that be

I built one off grid and then made it usable as a Bol something that my family could and have lived on and off for years. We have spent many summers in it. Lots of hunting sessions in it. Made many practice runs to in sub zero weather. I can tell you it takes 24 hrs to go from 10 below inside to 70 degrees. it takes at least 8 hrs for the beds to warm up. I can only guess the result in some one trying to subsist in this type of weather with out a lot of preparation :help: :help: :help: .

About the only difference now after years of tweaking is it is heated with a wood stove. We even have inside plumbing. water is brought in from a near by spring and is tied in so even if contamination is present or introduced by man it does not effect the water. I do not see the need for some one to go out side to the out house in the middle of a minis 20 below Michigan winter. Or go out side in the summer nights during a SHTF and not know for sure who might be out side. although in that case there would be several roving guards so it would be safe. And another big difference is alarms all over the place in side and out. Some notifies other locals 24/7 residents of an alarm. and another alarm that actually callers me via cell phone even before some one try's to gain entrance. And others once inside So I know even before someone gets in. It has all come with years of tweaking and getting ready. Then if they do get inside. there is nothing inside that you would not find in a summer vacation or hunting cabin. All preps are located someplace else. There are many other devices to catch the looters, poachers,and undesirables. No meed to make me uncomfortable

It is my belief that the easier the transition is from the home where we have all lived in for years to a BOL location the easier it becomes to use it for years if needed. ( remember for most of us we have a wife and kids that are not near as active or into in pepring as we are) If we ask a kid Your teenage daughter or a wife to go out side and set on a log in minis 20 degrees or even in the middle of the summer we might get a reaction we do not need during a SHTF. I believe in removing as many possible potential problems as I can before hand. For those taking their family and heading out and living under a log. Maby they need to pick up another preper novel. Or may be continue reading untested accounts of so many of the untested scenarios on some of the preper forums. as seems to happen. We have far to many keyboard commandos putting their untested theory's on the unsuspected public. When the real truth is the $19.95 wall mart pup tent in the closet is the closest they have ever been to camping.

But it is off grid no wires to follow in and easy to defend long before people even see the shelter. Far enough away from everything even roads I don't need to worry about smoke or even genny noise if I start it for some reason. But I guess I have a much different look at prepping than most do. Don't get me wrong I have done my share of sub zero camping in the earlier years. Many times we could not cook our food because it froze in the pan when we sat it on the table. But the scouts we did that with with had a lot of cold weather training and experience. and it was just for a few days not all winter. I have no desire to do it again. Besides that most of our family's would not survive it. Sorry there I go being logical again.

I would love to see some real discussion on some of these topics, Not just how ready every one is to live under a log. I do not believe that is why people truly come to these threads to look for help
PREPPERS SAVE THE EXCUSES, IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING TIME, IT'S ABOUT MAKING TIME, IF IT MATTERS YOU WILL HAVE TIME
Every one has priorities, different for each of us, main reasons most of us can not form a group that will last our priorities are all different so are you. REMEMBER, IF YOUR PREP PRIORITIES ARE LOWER THEN THE PEOPLE YOU CAN'T WORK WITH, THEY MIGHT MAKE IT AND YOU WON'T, DON'T BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING YOU HELP LATER, WHEN YOU FAIL LATER AND YOUR IN TROUBLE. BLAME YOUR PRIORITIES.
Scoutmaster

Postby Scoutmaster » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:46 pm

I just love it when a normal and pertinent question is ask and a year later no one has addressed it. I guess taking 90% of the problems takes all the fun out of it.
Scoutmaster

Previous

Return to Survival Shelters