• Advertisement

The off grid survival cabin

Long Term/Short Term Survival Shelters. Constructions tips and ideas.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

Re: The off grid survival cabin

Postby Muzhik » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Somehow I don't think grammar and spelling are going to be a particularly valuable skill when TSHTF. Important for many careers? Yes. Please learn and use correct English. For survival, not so much.

On the contrary: the ability to accurately present information will be even MORE essential. I've read some postings on other sites where people simply are either allergic to or religiously opposed to using commas, not just apostrophes. I literally have had to guess at what the people were saying. How can you pass life-saving information to others if they are going to misunderstand the info, or if they will simply reject it and take their chances because it's too much effort to decode?
Everyone throws stones at the prophet ....
But when the crisis appears everyone says "Why did you not warn us?"
Muzhik
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby Vina8 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:14 pm

Grammar, punctuation, and spelling are tools of good communication. However, some of the worst writing and most difficult to understand is written with proper English usage. Academia, government, and business writers are notorious for writing indecipherable documents. I can edit with the best, but often it is off-putting unless someone requests assistance. Here's an example.

"On the contrary: the ability to accurately present information will be even MORE essential." The colon is used inappropriately. It should be a comma.

Did that make a difference in my understanding of your statement? No, of course not. In my old age, I have seen a major shift in written communication due to text messaging, instant messaging, Twitter, and email. The younger generations have changed the standards for good and bad.

I have seen family members become very successful in building their own business without having very good grammar. I guess if I were choosing people to join me in my BOL, I would consider the ability to build a sturdy shelter, shoot straight, or grow a garden more important that writing a correct sentence. That was my point. My apologies for getting on my soap box again! :smartass: :offtopic:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Alaska Rose » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:57 am

Well, so far I haven't been able to find the large album I have of the construction on my cabin. I hope it isn't in the pile of mush that used to be my books still stored under tarps where a "friend" placed them because they were in his way. I'll just add this picture to show a bit of what I have around here and on a few trips fishing on the coast.

https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:25 am

Looks like you have both brown and black bear, sweet! :drool: Where's the grizzly? :D I know, grizzlies are a little bit unsafe to be around. And what a rack on that moose! :eek: But, what's with those guppies? There a wee bit small, don't you think? :whistling: What are they?
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:06 am

Awesome pictures, Alaska Rose. I guess mosquitoes aren't the only thing that grows big in Alaska.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Muzhik » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Interesting set of photos in the upper left corner. An old boyfriend, perhaps?
Muzhik
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby Alaska Rose » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:13 am

Upper left corner? The grizzlies in my yard? Or me and my Mom with the moose in the right corner? The guppies are halibut from a trip down to Homer, Alaska.

I've dated some odd guys, but a grizzly is a little out of my species. Yes, we do have black bears and grizzly bears here, they are in direct competition for food and it does nothing for their dispositions.

A different view of my smurfhouse.
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:01 am

I thought the grizzlies were brown bear. They look kind of small in the picture. So, another words, you did get close to the grizzlies too. :thumbsup: Your a nut like me! :D I was up in the Pocono's, were some idiot's feed the bears. I was, the only time ever, at a camping site when a bear came in. Everyone ran but me. I stayed seated at the camp fire. Bear are suppose to be afraid of fire. I was cooking a steak. I love steak. So did the bear. I didn't get up until it was a few feet away on the other side of the fire. I stood up and screamed at it. The bastard actually reached into the fire and grabbed my steak. That's when I cursed at it and backed off. Everyone there was screaming at me. The bear didn't really scare me although I know that it should have because it was a stupid thing to do on my part. In a normal situation, it should have never came near the fire. Now if it was a spider, I would have ran for the hills screaming like a little girl!
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Muzhik » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Alaska Rose wrote:I've dated some odd guys, but a grizzly is a little out of my species.

Ahh. Here I thought it was one of the natives coming out of his cabin in early springtime. You know, "Hey, it's springtime! Time to change the socks!"
Muzhik
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Muzhik wrote:
Alaska Rose wrote:I've dated some odd guys, but a grizzly is a little out of my species.

Ahh. Here I thought it was one of the natives coming out of his cabin in early springtime. You know, "Hey, it's springtime! Time to change the socks!"

All you women do is think about guys! :D
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Whisper » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Opps,

Sorry Muzhik, I read that wrong.... :blink: :crazy: :innocent: Forgive me.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:19 am

The little picture of the bear looking at me, through the window had been even closer. I had the camera pressed against the glass when he turned and saw me, so I had to hold still. He walked over and pressed his nose against the glass on the other side. One single pane of old wavy glass between his nose and mine. WAAAAY too darn close. However, they tend to swat at moving objects, so I was safer holding still and not staring into his eyes, then I would have been by trying to scramble backwards away from the window. I waited until he stepped back and came into focus and clicked, which mad ehim step right back against the glass. I guess I figured at least when they developed the film, everyone would see what got me.

When I guided, we usually had ground blinds and the bears would walk right around us. No movement is fairly crucial in that type of situation. You were in less danger from that bear then the ones were, that ran. A bear has a good instinct for chasing fleeing food and can go from stop to 35 mph in a flash. (I clocked one on the speedometer of an old Jeep) Maybe challenging it for the steak wasn't too great, but you are still here, so it's fine.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:27 am

Alaska Rose wrote:The little picture of the bear looking at me, through the window had been even closer. I had the camera pressed against the glass when he turned and saw me, so I had to hold still. He walked over and pressed his nose against the glass on the other side. One single pane of old wavy glass between his nose and mine. WAAAAY too darn close. However, they tend to swat at moving objects, so I was safer holding still and not staring into his eyes, then I would have been by trying to scramble backwards away from the window. I waited until he stepped back and came into focus and clicked, which mad ehim step right back against the glass. I guess I figured at least when they developed the film, everyone would see what got me.

When I guided, we usually had ground blinds and the bears would walk right around us. No movement is fairly crucial in that type of situation. You were in less danger from that bear then the ones were, that ran. A bear has a good instinct for chasing fleeing food and can go from stop to 35 mph in a flash. (I clocked one on the speedometer of an old Jeep) Maybe challenging it for the steak wasn't too great, but you are still here, so it's fine.

That's what I told them. I'm not stupid, I really love bears. They're in the dog family and I love my dogs. I would only shoot one if my family, including me and/or some other human being, minus a few, :evil: life or lives are in danger. The only other possibility is if my family is in desperate need for food.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:44 am

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to consider them even remotely like a dog, they may be more intelligent than most people realize and anything that can snooze for 6 to 7 months at a time has my vote for couch potato of the year. A bear does have the built in response to chase running prey and to them, most things are prey. I have managed to not get mangled or chewed, and the advice that used to be given to play dead, isn't, so much any more.. If the attacking bear is a black bear (which can be any color) they eat what they kill, so if you hold still, they have an easier time of it. Holding still sometimes does work for grizzlies/brown bears. It never works for a polar bear. I am not afraid of them, but I have a healthy respect for their ability to make a meal of me if they ever feel like it and my guard is down. I really would like to find a way to train them as guard bears for the property.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Rose - believe it or not bears are in the dog family.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Survival Shelters