• Advertisement

You can hide your Shelter out in the open

Long Term/Short Term Survival Shelters. Constructions tips and ideas.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

You can hide your Shelter out in the open

Postby Whisper » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:46 pm

This is one of the coolest concepts that I've seen. It has so many possibilities. Wait till you get a look at this! :o It's "Not Your Ordinary Log Cabin"

http://www.impactlab.com/2010/01/17/not ... log-cabin/

:tank:
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: You can hide your Shelter out in the open

Postby Vina8 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:51 pm

I just showed the pictures to my husband (eternal skeptic), and he loved it. The first thing out of his mouth was, "We could build that! We sure have enough trees." He had a good idea which is to half bury it so the profile is lower. We love the concept of hiding in plain sight! The interior is great, too. Good post. Thanks, Whisper.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:52 pm

I LIKE it!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Whisper » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:01 pm

MountainMama wrote:I just showed the pictures to my husband (eternal skeptic), and he loved it. The first thing out of his mouth was, "We could build that! We sure have enough trees." He had a good idea which is to half bury it so the profile is lower. We love the concept of hiding in plain sight! The interior is great, too. Good post. Thanks, Whisper.

What a sweet idea, you got me thinking... You can probably combine Container building with cordwood building with partially bermed and presto! Image I Great place to hide in the open.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Yep, the container would make a good base. DH just had another good idea about how to determine how thick to make the walls--take a rifle out and fire at different thicknesses to determine which thickness would stop bullets.

I did a search and found a few more details about how it was built. (I am still looking.)

words Nicola Churchward
"Masquerading as a stack of firewood, rustic yet modern, movable and built from sustainable material - this log cabin has it all.

Created by Dutch designer and architect Piet Hein Eek, the structure - built on wheels to bypass building regulations – is a rehearsal space for a musician.

The tree-trunk exterior encases a steel frame salvaged from a builders' yard. The facade is made up of small cross-sections of tree trunk, arranged and positioned by hand then fixed with glue and copper brackets. This puzzling effect extends over the window-covers to complete the log-pile illusion when the cabin is unoccupied.

The plywood interior - Eek uses the cheapest variety as "it has the richest texture" - is an unexpected contrast to the exterior. It is modern and clean with pale-blue walls that work with the panoramic shuttered windows to give the room a bright and fresh feel.

Colourful bespoke upholstery, minimalist storage and simple furniture complete the perfect space for long working hours. The latest in a series of log cabins and garden houses from the designer who made his name with scrap-wood furniture, this project is pure Eek."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Who is John Gall » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:43 pm

I love that idea, MountainMama, for determining thickness needed. Sweet.

I read somewhere about making a cabin out of cord wood and mortar...stack cord wood and fill in the spaces in between with mortar. Supposedly is easy to use, well insulated (it is so thick), and is sturdy. Does anyone have any experience with this? I wish that could remember the website where I saw it...they had a little cabin made out of it and it looked cool. What worried me about it, though, is termites. Is there any way to treat logs to keep those buggers at bay?
Who is John Gall

Postby Alaska Rose » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:18 am

Cordwood building, have seen some nice ones here, but here, they use longer wood sections, mortar both ends and fill the center with insulation as they go up with the walls, to make sure it is well insulated. You can build shelves and stairs right into the walls as you go up, also, being sure to support them inside, until the mortar has set and cured. We don't have termites here, so not familiar with how to repel them. I know a little known natural powdered mosquito repellant that is burned as a smudge, when sprinkled on logs around the base of a log cabin will repel carpenter ants.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 am

Who is John Gall wrote:I love that idea, MountainMama, for determining thickness needed. Sweet.

I read somewhere about making a cabin out of cord wood and mortar...stack cord wood and fill in the spaces in between with mortar. Supposedly is easy to use, well insulated (it is so thick), and is sturdy. Does anyone have any experience with this? I wish that could remember the website where I saw it...they had a little cabin made out of it and it looked cool. What worried me about it, though, is termites. Is there any way to treat logs to keep those buggers at bay?

If I remember correctly, , his name is Rob Roy. He wrote a book and has a school. You can possibly get more links from his web site. He started with underground homes. Then he branched out into many other methods. Cordwood seems to be his favorite method.

http://www.cordwoodmasonry.com/
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby roolu » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:50 am

Oh if only I had some land! That is way too cool.
Fear profits no man - The 13th Warrior
ImageImage
roolu
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Alaska Rose » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:52 am

Yes, Rob Roy did write a couple of very good books about cordwood construction.

That stacked log building is very neat. Wonder if I could camouflage a connex box that way?
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:59 am

Alaska Rose wrote:Yes, Rob Roy did write a couple of very good books about cordwood construction.

That stacked log building is very neat. Wonder if I could camouflage a connex box that way?

I can't see why not.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:33 am

Wouldn't this be good ... Until someone is looking for wood, (if there is a great need and they are scavenging and times are dire). What happens when they realize this is NOT a pile of wood?
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby roolu » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 am

I'm guessing they'd meet the business end of a 12 gauge. LOL!
Fear profits no man - The 13th Warrior
ImageImage
roolu
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby WhiteWolf » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:46 pm

I like that, but it would take up over half the garden we have :(

But when we win the LOTTO :rolleyes:

WW 8)
Image Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play Image
WhiteWolf

Postby Alaska Rose » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:50 am

LOL, White Wolf
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Next

Return to Survival Shelters