• Advertisement

You can hide your Shelter out in the open

Long Term/Short Term Survival Shelters. Constructions tips and ideas.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

Re: You can hide your Shelter out in the open

Postby XR750 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:01 pm

What happens when someone needs wood. Not much if a secret then.
XR750
XR750
XR750

Postby SCPrepper » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:28 pm

that does look interesting....you could adapt your your area
SC District 5
SCPrepper
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby pelenaka » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:31 pm

Along with everyone else I am in love with this studio also.
I'd add a small sleeping loft, window benches on all four sides, and a small hidden cellar. Love the idea of bullet thick walls. I've had alot of coworkers who have had their simple hunting cabins shot up. I'd also install peep holes every few feet to provide sight even when the windows are closed.
For the outside I'd build it up against a few pine trees so it looked like the trees were holding the logs stacked. If a trap door was fitted into the roof climbing one of those trees can give a snipers eye view. Or another way out depending how athletic I am. I'd also scatter a few piles of logs around so if someone was looking for firewood hopefully they would take those & leave.
I'd also build this on a steep slope. For my area I'd have to camo a rain gutter system. Would somehow incorporate a 55 gal. cistern inside.
I bet that with a pc & printer one could print out a pic of logs then glue & seal with marine varnish. Lay those on top of or create a stencil. Would love to see more indepth pics of the outside.
Any youtube videos ?
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network

A Stealth Log Cabin

Postby Golden Oldie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Has this been posted? (I couldn't find it on a search of the site.)

A stealth log cabin disguised as a firewood stack! :D I want one if I can talk hubby's handyman friend into trying the idea.

"The rough-hewn exterior artfully creates the sense that the structure is a simple stack of log rounds. The window coverings even have a painstakingly placed log façade to complete the illusion. The structural element is a salvaged steel frame and the walls are painted plywood."

http://inhabitat.com/modern-log-cabin-h ... k-of-wood/
The values of modern society are all the proof I need that I should have been born a couple hundred years ago.
Golden Oldie
Washington Preppers Network

Re: A Stealth Log Cabin

Postby Fenix » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Doesn't look like a log pile to me, considering logs won't stack like that without some side support, but if a little more work went into it it could be a pretty cool BOL shelter. Not a bad idea I just think it needs a little more work to complete the log pile effect.
You're black. The're white. This ain't Hockey!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
Fenix
Wisconsin State Moderator
Wisconsin State Moderator

Postby Lynda » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:56 pm

I love it!
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby dogboy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Hey, Bubba, there's no one around. Let's save us some cutting and take some of these here logs back to our place!
dogboy

Postby islandchik » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:06 am

dogboy wrote:Hey, Bubba, there's no one around. Let's save us some cutting and take some of these here logs back to our place!

Exactly!
He who does not economize will have to agonize. ~ Confucius
islandchik
Maine Preppers Network
Maine Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:27 pm

Golden Oldie - Yep but that's OK... I merged them. It was one of my favorites. If you like this one, you'll love this one!!!

viewtopic.php?f=172&t=4010
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Golden Oldie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Ha, I knew someone must have already posted such a cool stealth shelter concept but just couldn't come up with the right search terms -- thanks for the merge, Whisper, and for the neat link to the mirrored one!

I just have a thing about stealth shelters that don't look like shelters and would love to see any others the members have come across. ;)
The values of modern society are all the proof I need that I should have been born a couple hundred years ago.
Golden Oldie

Postby Whisper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Great minds think alike Golden!
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby eric2524 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 am

what happens when someone sees it and wants to get warm, with a log fire? Busted. It's cool and a great idea, I think maybe it could be better if it were made of something people will not want as much when resources are scarce.

Eric
eric2524

Postby Whisper » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Well, they might get burned?b :rofl:
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby pelenaka » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:40 am

eric2524 wrote:what happens when someone sees it and wants to get warm, with a log fire?
Eric

If there were smaller piles of cut & split firewood scattered around the shelter I'm sure that those would be taken first. Anyone collecting firewood wants to get to teh biz of making fire so they'd go with easiest first.
As I wrote before if this was built on a slope or other area that wasn't easy to get to that would further decrease lookie loos. Built on the side of a good size hill also means a tactical advantage.

I've been giving it some thought since I first saw the page ... could a metal cargo box as a base then adhere the ends of logs to the outside might work. Making sure that it was uneven and more natural looking than what is pictured. I'm sure that an air vent could be camouflaged along with those rain gutters I mentioned.
If I went with the cargo container then I'd skip the windows & go with sky lights. Place air vents near the top for cross ventilation and increase the number of peep holes through out.
pelenaka

Postby olly69 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:12 pm

I agree that this is a great idea. We have built a quansit hut, and half backfulled around it, leaving the front wall open. Now after seeing the pictures, we can certainly stack wood along the sides & up to the top of the arch. The skylights & air vent can go on top like said above! Then we can glue 6-8" short pieces to the front wall will hide that surface, and stack more against the front wall to break up that image. And if others wander by (it is 200' behind the house, which is 100' off the road- long way to haul firewood by hand) they might take some firewood, but never reach the fake wood.
I love the idea, and can't wait to start stacking firewood! When I get it done, I will post some pictures (if someone can tell me how). Thank you so much for posting this type of structure!
olly69

PreviousNext

Return to Survival Shelters