• Advertisement

You can hide your Shelter out in the open

Long Term/Short Term Survival Shelters. Constructions tips and ideas.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

Re: You can hide your Shelter out in the open

Postby pelenaka » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:47 pm

My mind automatically went to a shipping container as the core but I like yours better. Would be much easier to pack in on foot even if it is slow going.
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Orange Ninja » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:05 am

I would go with a shipping container burried in a hillside. Then the rest that is sticking out, I would cover in concreet to creat the BP effect. Next I would add the logs. I would add larg enough logs that most people won't think of trying to grab for fire wood. Also have another pile of actual fire wood of much smaller/able to be carried wood. The second pile would be about the same size as the fake pile of wood. Since it is on a hill, you could also build a large fake bulder to house your air vent and maby a secondary hatch excape. For water collection, tunnel a CPVC pipe up a few trees and cover to make look like the same serface of the tree.
Orange Ninja

Postby rudy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 am

In my AO a single wood pile would look out of place. No one cuts wood to the same length and stacks it that neat.

Hay bales would would work much better.
square%20hay.jpg

They could be stacked around a cargo container or two and then have a canopy placed over the bales. It would look very natural.
" Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Hand Grenade is no longer our friend."
The zoo has an African lion, the White House has a lyin' African.
rudy

Postby Fenix » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:09 pm

rudy wrote:In my AO a single wood pile would look out of place. No one cuts wood to the same length and stacks it that neat.

Hay bales would would work much better.
square%20hay.jpg

They could be stacked around a cargo container or two and then have a canopy placed over the bales. It would look very natural.

Not a bad idea, except for when the bales rot, and you don't have the ability to get more bales if SHTF.
You're black. The're white. This ain't Hockey!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
Fenix
Wisconsin State Moderator
Wisconsin State Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am

There are a number of viable options I have seen, but they all require you own something and neither was cheap. The best was a shelter in the middle of an operating junkyard and a second a false concrete wall in an abandoned commercial building creating a large hidden space. Both are owner built and right in the middle of the action. People see only what they want to see and can be easily fooled. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby direly » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:16 pm

I'd think that people would come to steel the ready cut firewood, post shtf,and instantly realize what it is. :-) Also, since it's above ground, occupied, lights showing, etc, hundreds of locals will know about it, which, if shtf, will be the kiss of death. Nobody but me knows about my little half-dug shelter and buried drums of food,etc, or what's in the storage unit not so far away. That's the way I want it to stay, too.
direly

Postby Staying Alive Comedy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:55 pm

Whisper wrote:What a sweet idea, you got me thinking... You can probably combine Container building with cordwood building with partially bermed and presto! Image I Great place to hide in the open.

That would be really nifty! Probably would simplify the building a great deal and make it pretty sturdy. I wonder if someone has already done it? I really wish I had the extra cash and land and I would do it just for kicks. :D

Have a peek at what we are doing here:
Staying Alive Comedy

Postby danthman114 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:59 am

Up until the locals see a free pile of firewood...
danthman114

Postby slanted » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:30 am

people would come to steal the "wood" and detect you in short order. If you want discretion, best forego the windows. the straight lines make it obvious that it's not just a pile of wood. It's also stacked far higher than would make any sense to do. If you bury wood, it has to be cypress, cedar, or treated vs rotting. Truly being hidden means a little hole in the ground, then horizontal, shallow tunnels, like the Viet Cong used for 30 years.
slanted

Previous

Return to Survival Shelters