• Advertisement

Pennsylvania Preppers Roll Call 11/26

Welcome! New Members Introduce yourself here.

Moderators: ReadyMom, kr105

Pennsylvania Preppers Roll Call 11/26

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:55 pm

Pennsylvania Preppers, Check in and let us know what you've been doing lately to prep.
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Pennsylvania Preppers Roll Call 11/26

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:05 am

I'll start:

Dehydrating frozen veggies.
    Dehydrating 5 lb bags of potatoes from Amelia's I bought for only 97cents/bag.
    Bought socks on sale.
    Saving for the Harbor Freight 3 panel solar power kit
    Snuck in a few extra groceries when I shopped for Thanksgiving dinner 8)
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby wanda4089 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:22 pm

I canned over 500 jars of vegetables and fruit, I run 2 dehydrators 24-7, I buy all the extra canned goods I can afford along with all the ammo we can afford. My husband is right now hunting for venison. We have several hundred pounds of potatoes in the root cellar and as many canned as I had jars for. We are huge believers and are doing all we can because our children think we are crazy to believe we have hard times coming. We will obviously have to feed them as well.
wanda4089

Postby Shelli » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Well, I prep a little differently, as my canning skills are nonexistant (I dont even own one) and our money is beyond tight. So I shop the sales fliers with coupons! :) Any way to prep is a good way, right? So today I aquired about 12 cans of gravies, 12 cans of veggies, 12 cans of broths, 8 packs of cheeses (to be frozen), a pack of advil and one of excedrin, various packaged goods. These are all things that I rotate in my pantry - I keep A LOT on hand, and when I use them, I use oldest first (obviously) so I always have a rotating stock of foods to be used in an emergency. My husband and I were talking this week that we want to start adding powdered tomato, egg, etc into our stocks in the event of extended food "problems". Just today I saw that the price of eggs is steadily rising - so powdered egg is #1 on the list.
Yes, I'm wordy. No, I can't change. ;)
Please visit my blog at http://www.OneChristianMom.blogspot.com
Shelli

Postby PAfrogmom » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:57 pm

WANDA- you've been a busy bee! Shelli- I don't can or dehydrate myself yet, so like you, I clip coupons and comparison shop for everything. I have finally!! cleaned out main storage closet, reorganized it for better access to storage items and am waiting on bucket order to come in- I underestimated # of buckets I needed for bulk food items we purchased recently. As soon as my new buckets with gamma lids come in, I have to still transfer the sugar and salt bags from the totes into the buckets, then I can use the emptied totes for other preps. I also caught up on the laundry. I know a prepper's work is never done, but whew am I tired!
The joy of life lies not in the destination but in the journey. Live life without regrets.
PAfrogmom

Postby Shelli » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:00 pm

PAfrogmom, you have been a busy little bee- I mean prepper! That's awesome. I hadn't thought of transferring anyhting to buckets just yet. My biggest "store" is the 40 lbs of flour. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but when I say a VERY limited income, I am not joking. ;)
Shelli

Postby PAfrogmom » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:25 pm

I hear you Shelli! I went back to full-time housewife/mom couple of years ago and my hubby works 1 full-time job plus 1 part-time job. Starting in January, my husband's part-time job hours will be pretty much non-existent- he is usually not scheduled again to work until spring due to slow post-holiday business. We just started moving stuff (bulk bags of sugar, salt, etc) to storage buckets over the past month. We live in an apartment and I did NOT want to see our preps ruined by spoilage/bugs/etc. My kids think I am nuts buying extra food and they keep thinking nothing bad will ever happen but thats the blessed innocence of youth and lack of wisdom for their age. I figure whatever I can put away now is better than money in the bank since food costs are going up pretty quickly.
The joy of life lies not in the destination but in the journey. Live life without regrets.
PAfrogmom

Postby Shelli » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:24 pm

PSFrogmom - I don't know the ages of your kids, but just think of it this way.... they will never know any different than prepping. I had to learn everything from the beginning, as my family was a "run to the store" kinda family. When there was threat of impending storm, we were at the store with everyone else buying milk, eggs and bread. Now my kids were born just slightly before I started prepping. They don't know any different than having a pantry and buying the sales - having extra food on hand "just in case". And as I stated recently when I came back to the forum - just in case happened to us, so they have seen the rewards of having that type of lifestyle. Prayerfully, you will never need to use your preps for anything other than general rotation, however your kids will see you rotating through the stuff, and it will become normal for them. :)
Shelli

Postby IceFire » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:55 pm

Updated the inventory in my storage room. Inventoried all of my vegetable seeds, and am starting to plan out next year's garden.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Ronin4hire » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:16 am

Getting ready to start canning meats- gathering jars & borrowing some cookers
Probably start with chicken, but move onto red meats too
Then look into getting a dehydrator- perhaps Santa will bring me a nice Excaliber?
Have freezers full of frozen meats/veggie/taters to clear out this way
As always, on the lookout for bargains at the stores to add to the pantry
Ronin4hire
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby yaHalyna » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:03 pm

It's freezing cold now so...
I stacked & hid all my firewood and bricks.
I finished my Manual and going over anything I might have missed. Tried to research Amish lifestyle (no electric but they do use gas).
Have all my kits done (except for a few items that need ordered - $ after Christmas): Lock in, bug outs, back packs, car needs,dogs needs.
Collected about 80% of my first year of foods (got this neat, easy & organized system from this Mormon woman). Once I move I'll have to re-inventory, re-pack & re-label.
Next month I may have to move, so I've held off on water yet, but that's the first thing I'll do in my new place
Didn't get any guns yet...I dont know anything at all about guns.
Have a weekly schedule too, this week I will be working on a solar oven,buying more propane tanks. also to get more car gas (anyone know how I can safely store extra gasoline in the garage?).
yaHalyna

Postby PAfrogmom » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:41 am

Hi yaHalyna, welcome to the forum. Looks like you are agressively moving forward with your preps -thats awesome.
Regardings firearms- I knew nothing and was ANTI-gun for a very long time. I went to a local gun range which rents firearms by the hour - hubby and I went couple of times, and the kids (almost 12 and almost 16 yr old) went with us on our last visit. It was intimidating at first but VERY helpful. I shot .22 and .38 caliber revolvers, but haven't tried any shotguns or rifles yet. Many ranges offer classes for beginners or you can hire an instructor as well. My husband has gone shooting before so it was a refresher for him. When time allows, we will head back to the range for more practice- the more the better. The forum here also has a firearms section- you can read the various posts and get feedback on different weapons and find a lot of useful information.
PAfrogmom

Postby recon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:53 pm

I don't can either. So have been trying to expand the food storage area. Getting things on sale in bulk. Also on the weapon side have been working on that also.

:gunsmile:
What Do I Believe In?
AMMO!
But It Cheap!
Stack It Deep!
recon

Postby Ronin4hire » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:26 am

Id be happy to help with firearms knowledge- I was a firearms instructor in a previous professional life...
Ronin4hire

Postby vonu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:21 pm

Ronin4hire wrote:Id be happy to help with firearms knowledge- I was a firearms instructor in a previous professional life...

T'was me, I'd get qualified as an NRA certified instructor and wait for the deluge:-)
vonu

Next

Return to Check In Here Pennsylvania Preppers