• Advertisement

Workshop in Seven Springs on Sept. 15-17

General PA topics go here

Moderators: ReadyMom, kr105

Workshop in Seven Springs on Sept. 15-17

Postby Photon Guy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:07 pm

In Seven Springs PA on 15-17 there is going to be the Mother Earth News Fair. Seven Springs is about an hour southeast of Pittsburgh so if you're in or around the Pittsburgh area or if you are further and plan to travel as I do, you might want to check this out I hope to be there. They've got over 150 workshops that teach all sorts of stuff about homesteading and survival. Everything from bee keeping, gardening of all sorts, soap making, solar power, you name it and its most likely covered in a workshop.

Here is the website. https://www.motherearthnewsfair.com
Photon Guy

Re: Workshop in Seven Springs on Sept. 15-17

Postby IceFire » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:41 pm

If anyone is even remotely near the area, it is well worth going to! I went to the very first one they had, and would have gone again, but we moved a couple thousand miles away. Wish there was one in my area! VERY informative, GREAT workshops, and plenty of "extra" exhibits, etc. Two days was NOT enough to take it all in!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby NJMike » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:57 pm

It's about a 5-6 hour drive, but I'll be there for the first time. Wristbands came in the mail this past week along with the discount coupons.

Looking forward to anything useful I can pick up in the seminars.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:06 pm

Prepare for information overload! Take a notebook and take notes! It's not just the seminars...there are also the "displays"/demos outside of the seminars--the first year, there was a guy there with a truck that was run off of a wood gassifier system, in addition to a whole bunch of other things. Don't forget about the exhibitors/merchants in the exhibit hall, either! It's where I got my "GrainMaker" grain mill.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Photon Guy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:52 am

IceFire wrote:If anyone is even remotely near the area, it is well worth going to! I went to the very first one they had, and would have gone again, but we moved a couple thousand miles away. Wish there was one in my area! VERY informative, GREAT workshops, and plenty of "extra" exhibits, etc. Two days was NOT enough to take it all in!

IceFire if I remember you're in AZ. Although this particular event this weekend is in PA they do the same function at different locations throughout the country. Maybe they will have one closer to where you live.
Photon Guy

Postby rickdun » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:28 am

Photon, IceFire used to live in Richland/Johnstown, PA, not far from Seven Springs.

I'll be there with bells on.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 am

NJMike wrote:It's about a 5-6 hour drive, but I'll be there for the first time. Wristbands came in the mail this past week along with the discount coupons.

Looking forward to anything useful I can pick up in the seminars.

I thought you were going to the prepper camp in NC that happens on the same days. I remember reading a thread about that camp awhile back. I was trying to decide to go there or to the workshop in Seven Springs but now that the NC event is sold out Im going to Seven Springs. If you're going to Seven Springs it would be great to see you there.
Photon Guy

Postby IceFire » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 pm

Photon Guy wrote:
IceFire wrote:If anyone is even remotely near the area, it is well worth going to! I went to the very first one they had, and would have gone again, but we moved a couple thousand miles away. Wish there was one in my area! VERY informative, GREAT workshops, and plenty of "extra" exhibits, etc. Two days was NOT enough to take it all in!

IceFire if I remember you're in AZ. Although this particular event this weekend is in PA they do the same function at different locations throughout the country. Maybe they will have one closer to where you live.

Photon, although I'm in AZ now, I USED to be in PA, just about 20 miles or so from Seven Springs. The closest ones to me now are either in OR, or in KS....WAY to far for me to get to. It's too bad, because I REALLY enjoyed it, and learned a LOT!
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:29 am

IceFire wrote:
Photon Guy wrote:

Photon, although I'm in AZ now, I USED to be in PA, just about 20 miles or so from Seven Springs. The closest ones to me now are either in OR, or in KS....WAY to far for me to get to. It's too bad, because I REALLY enjoyed it, and learned a LOT!

I see. Well I might've driven through it but I've never spent time at Seven Springs but it looks beautiful from what I've seen on the internet. You could maybe travel long distance if you ever want to go to these events. I've traveled from PA to NV for certain events and sometimes I've flown but in some cases I've driven the entire distance. Driving can be more fun, you get to see everything and right now with the threat of an EMP strike from NK I am avoiding airplanes.
Photon Guy

Postby NJMike » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:31 am

Photon Guy wrote:I thought you were going to the prepper camp in NC that happens on the same days. I remember reading a thread about that camp awhile back. I was trying to decide to go there or to the workshop in Seven Springs but now that the NC event is sold out Im going to Seven Springs. If you're going to Seven Springs it would be great to see you there.

I still have your # and will text you when it's a more reasonable hour.

The confusion on where I was going- I was inquiring about the NC event on that topic. Then found out it was opposite this, unfortunately. I was already set on the fair since I'd been wanting to get out here for about 4 years now. I'll try for NC next year if they're not opposite each other.

@Rickdun, if you're also interested in putting faces to names, you can PM here and we can exchange info or agree to meet somewhere at the fair. I'm attending all 3 days.
NJMike

Postby rickdun » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:20 am

NJMike wrote:
Photon Guy wrote:I thought you were going to the prepper camp in NC that happens on the same days. I remember reading a thread about that camp awhile back. I was trying to decide to go there or to the workshop in Seven Springs but now that the NC event is sold out Im going to Seven Springs. If you're going to Seven Springs it would be great to see you there.

I still have your # and will text you when it's a more reasonable hour.

The confusion on where I was going- I was inquiring about the NC event on that topic. Then found out it was opposite this, unfortunately. I was already set on the fair since I'd been wanting to get out here for about 4 years now. I'll try for NC next year if they're not opposite each other.

@Rickdun, if you're also interested in putting faces to names, you can PM here and we can exchange info or agree to meet somewhere at the fair. I'm attending all 3 days.

NJMike, your post was a day late, I left for camp on Thursday and went from there to 7 springs. Wish I had know for sure if you guys were going, you guys could have stayed with me at camp, free of charge, free food, free beer and free BS around the fire. Just got home from there.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby Photon Guy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:23 am

I must say the fair was quite fun and awesome and more than what I expected. NJMike it was terrific seeing you and going to dinner with you and all those other people. Met some really interesting people at the Pine Grill Restaurant when we had dinner and at the fair as well. Rickdun its too bad we missed you. Would've loved to meet you. The free food and lodging would be nice too. I must say that Seven Springs and the surrounding area is really beautiful although a bit too rural for my tastes, at least for long term stay, Im more of the urban/suburban type. The resort is awesome though, they've got an indoor bowling alley, a golf course and a shotgun range among other things. Very high end although staying there would cost big bucks. You've got to be as rich as a king to stay there for any good length of time. Unfortunately I had come down with a cold which had made things a bit miserable for me at the fair but aside from that I had an excellent time. The cold was no doubt the result of me pushing myself too hard, too much weight lifting and training in the martial arts. Really great seminars they had and they sold some really fabulous stuff. Aside from survivalism there was lots of stuff, products and seminars at the fair that were geared towards health and healthy living. I spent more money than I had anticipated at the fair, got a really nice axe and some bee keeping gear and some health products. Hope to go again next year. I highly recommend it.
Photon Guy

Return to Pennsylvania Discussion, News and Weather