• Advertisement

New York Preppers Roll Call 11/26

Welcome To the New York Preppers Network Forum. Introduce yourself here.

Moderator: TheLight

New York Preppers Roll Call 11/26

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:04 am

New York Preppers, Check in and let us know what you've been doing lately to prep.
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: New York Preppers Roll Call 11/26

Postby pelenaka » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Ordered 50 lbs. of brown rice for 66 cents per pound. Working on a barter deal for wheat berries as I'm down to my last 10 gal.bucket.
Did a lot of coupon shopping this Summer on quality canned items for long term food storage.

~~ pelenaka ~~
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network

Postby ClosetPrepper » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:40 pm

Went to the closest LDS store and bought bulk foods.
Ordered the special at costco for $279 (regularly $339) of freeze dried #10 cans.
Started preparing a pantry in the basement.
Purchased the book when there are no doctors.
Purchased the book "seed to seed."
Purchased a generator 7K running watts (from craigslist)

This is all in the last 4 months.

Next 4 months:
Use my pressure canner
Save up for hand pump for existing well
Keep thinking about how to handle safety
ClosetPrepper

Postby TheLight » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:45 pm

I've been working out, looking at joining the Army or Air Force, built a quail pen, and have been reading a lot. Also did some light weight cold-weather camping (18 degrees) in preperation for my real cold trip in February (- something). Anyone care to join? :evil:
"Where did I leave that clue-by-four?" -Me
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby john francis » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:18 pm

new to the site-
been preparing for quite a while-
recently acquired a grain mill-learning to bake bread and such
most physical preps about as solid as they can get-
laying up extra firewood and contemplating a few concealed underground cache/scout shelters on our 75 or so acres-
laying up extra supplies for family/friends who are not expecting any changes/ societal hiccups-
john francis

Postby ClosetPrepper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:53 am

Welcome to the site john francis. I believe you'll find your grain mill to be a great investment - I just made my first loaf of bread using freshly milled grain (from my new grain mill) 4 weeks ago - I still have some kinks to work out - but it's great to know that I can do it myself now (with my stored wheat).
ClosetPrepper

Postby smallgameguy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Okay so im completely to this forum and I have done nothing to prep. I find it so hard to start i have no idea of where to go or get.

Smallgameguy
smallgameguy

Postby TheLight » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:44 pm

smallgameguy wrote:Okay so im completely to this forum and I have done nothing to prep. I find it so hard to start i have no idea of where to go or get.

Smallgameguy

First off, welcome aboard! There are a huge amount of resources on the Preppers Network and by hopping on board and looking into how to begin, you've made a start!
Why don't you tell us a little about yourself and what your goals are? I'm sure we can help you plan and think this through to meet your needs.
Are you looking into food storage? Do you have a family that you have to account for? Do you have any idea what dangers your particular area could be exposed to? These are just a few questions to get you started. And again, welcome aboard!
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby smallgameguy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Okay so heres goes, first I live near Rochester NY. My goals on for here are to be prepared for any and all things. With living in the central/western NY area we have a lot of snow. So I guess I want to prep for any disruption in electricity, water, food and travel. Second the area i live in doesnt have a whole lot of crime but it does happen, with my military background I have that covered. I have 2 children, 8 and 6 with an ex-monster that they live with. I also have a GF/possible fiancee who also has 2 kids but lives 20 minutes away so getting to her is important. I don't want to give too much info being new to this site. I have a real limited budget so prepping will be real slow. So i guess to wrap it up i need help starting from scratch. I also have a dog but as dogs goes he can fend for himself although it will break my heart. I guess i'm looking for a list to start with. I'm a huge outdoorsman so i can survive with my own hands but to keep the kids safe and sound is what i want.

SGG
smallgameguy

Postby TheLight » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:47 pm

Well I'd say a solid first step is to increase your pantry. You can, and probably should, do this two ways. One: start buying more food that you regularly use to build you pantry up. After a few weeks of doing so, you should have a good buildup that will last you a month or so. Two: you should take a look at getting long-term storage foods like hard red wheat, beans, etc. These items will last if stored properly. Take a look at this thread for some ideas on the food storage front: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/ ... 616&t=4458

While doing that, start working on a threat matrix. Come up with threats in your area, both natural and man-made, and rank them in their order of likeliness. A severe winter storm, for example, will be much more likely to occur than an EMP burst. Start planning for the things that are likely to occur and you'll be surprised at how many other things you'll be prepared for.

If you're suburban/rural and own your own home, you can start making your house more self-sufficient. Add in wood heating capabilities, get yourself some backup power, plan a garden for next year. If you're urban, well, life's harder. I plan to bug in for as long as I can and leave only when necessary. Beating the exodus just isn't realistic, imho. Also on this front, do you have a place to bug out to in case of dire emergency?

Build a few basics kits: A Get Home Bag to supply you with food and water to get home. A Bug Out Bag or I'm Never Coming Home bag in case you need to leave your home in a hurry.

Finally, peruse this forum at length. There's a ton of great information on the network: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/index.php

Oh, and as for books, I'd take a look at It's a Disaster. Great book by one of our forum mods/sponsors. Pretty good general overview prepping with lots of lists for thought.

TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ClosetPrepper » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:43 am

Welcome to the forum smallgameguy.

Building up your food storage does not have to be an expensive ordeal. In addition to the great advice other members have posted, I would recommend checking out your closest LDS food store (I believe your closest is Canandaigua). Even though I live in New York, my closest store was Worcester, MA. I was able to pick up 25 lbs of rice for $8.45 and 25 lbs of Wheat for $5.80 (although you need to know what to do with it after). There are more expensive items like 25 lbs of black beans for $14.50 (still cheaper than the grocery store). If you want to, you can start with one item and add another item each month spending less than $10 per month for quite a bit of food. You will need a good place to store the food, and start to learn how to use it as well.

If you don't have a well, you might want to consider starting to store some water in whatever water safe containers you can find.

You have one of the skills which at least I am still lacking - safety/protection - so you are already a step ahead of some of us there!
ClosetPrepper

Postby msnrochny » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:08 pm

Finished ordering enough food for my family for one year. Happy Holidays!
msnrochny

Postby TheLight » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Heyhey! That's quite an accomplishment! Congratulations! What kind of food did you end up getting? Know how to use it all?

TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Steve45607 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:52 am

msnrochny wrote:Finished ordering enough food for my family for one year. Happy Holidays!

Congratulations! That really is fantastic.

You're now more prepared than the vast majority of your neighbors (though I wouldn't suggest revealing this to anyone you don't fully trust - it's been said before [by those with the unfortunate experience] that when SHTF your unprepared neighbors are worse enemies than police/military/gov or NGO officials).

And from where I'm sitting - anyone with a year's supply of anything better have a plan for how to protect it (i.e. effective weapon[s] + training).

~Steve
Steve45607

Postby nyfisherman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:43 pm

North Idaho Patriot wrote:New York Preppers, Check in and let us know what you've been doing lately to prep.

Hi im new to this but have been prepping for a year now.does anyone here believe long island can be a refuge with all the fishing here or should i get out.
nyfisherman

Next

Return to Check In Here New York Preppers