• Advertisement

Is this real?

General NY Prepping Topics

Moderator: TheLight

Is this real?

Postby Permafrost » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:09 pm

So I have been housebound in the city, and passing the time watching various things on youtube. I came across this today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOUnTOrxHUY

I was wondering if this was what bugging out was really like on the east coast. I generally applaud any effort for people to be prepared, but I was somewhat confused by what I saw. I was not sure if it was the PBS slant on things or if this was reality. It is not as if I have a lot of room to talk right now as I wait for surgery next week after a injury, but some of the choices that people were making & the gear that I saw was somewhat confusing.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Is this real?

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:55 pm

what's your question? .... that is nothing but dumbazz NYC sheeple playing prepper ....

that big black fireman was on a DoomsDay Preppers episode - he was preparing to bug in with his family in a 2 bedroom apartment - most of his supplies down the street in a storage rental unit - fighting everyone off with a knife and martial arts ....

that news bit was filmed in the Poconos in October - it's still fairly good weather - those cheasy popup tents in the dead of winter - God help those fools ....

just like any other part of the country - the real NYC preppers wouldn't be caught dead on the TV news much less showing off their BOL ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Permafrost » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:57 pm

Didn't realize dude was on Doomsday Preppers. One of these days I'll have to watch them all, I've seen a few though and was not impressed.

I was more concerned with the general level of skills & equipment. I realize that there is always a portion of any population that flat refuse to get filmed for TV, generally those more concerned with security, so I have no illusions that these are the cream of the crop. I was wondering if this is a cross section of average preppers and skill sets found in city preppers. Some of it I chalked up to not being able to get good gear because of their location, I know from others that have come here to visit me that getting good arctic gear is next to impossible in Washington or Idaho, so I figured it might be the same there. I can't imagine that there is a big demand for good wilderness gear in downtown NYC. The whole thing just seemed, I don't know, staged to me. Bad gear, lack of wilderness skills, poor location chosen, I was wondering if it was real at all. PBS is not known for being unbiased when it comes to some things, so I was wondering if they set the whole thing up to make preppers look stupid. Considering that this is supposedly a APN chapter, I thought I might hear from some of the people who were in this. I know reality and documentary TV is far from accurate, so I was interested in the real story.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 pm

looks like that black fireman is trying to break into the prepper biz .... here's two more utubes from him ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka-3FDXATeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XrRlUexfcQ
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby IceFire » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Permafrost wrote: Some of it I chalked up to not being able to get good gear because of their location, I know from others that have come here to visit me that getting good arctic gear is next to impossible in Washington or Idaho, so I figured it might be the same there. I can't imagine that there is a big demand for good wilderness gear in downtown NYC.

It doesn't matter WHERE you live--you can still get good gear. It's called "online shopping" Sportsmans Guide usually has quite a bit of gear, including military arctic gear.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to New York Discussion, News and Weather