• Advertisement

lehmans or excalibur

Topics for discussing dehydration, drying, and smoking as methods for food preservation

lehmans or excalibur

Postby xdewit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:24 am

I would like to buy another dehydrator and I am wondering what brand to buy Lehmans or Excalibur. The Lehmans look like the same as the Excalibur but are way more cheap.
Any thoughts?
Xant
xdewit

Re: lehmans or excalibur

Postby PrepperMom » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:17 am

I dont know yet , I use an ancient sunco (just a coil and frame no fan) I plan on going for a Used excalibur , I had not heard of the lehmans , I will probably get a excalibur and have my husband make me a few like the lehmans. The lehmans is a rack vs being an actual full machine. During our peak season we may have every dehydrator going , plus have solar dehydrators as well
Dehydration is our primary preservation method.

here are some links to making your own as well
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/sanders63.html
http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/de ... tryder.htm
http://ecorenovator.org/diy-solar-power ... ehydrator/
http://www.i4at.org/surv/soldehyd.htm
http://www.kidsgardening.com/growingide ... 2/pg1.html
PrepperMom
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Vina8 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:26 pm

xdewit, I just bought an Excalibur and have used it for several things this week. I am not familiar with the lehman's. So far I really like the Excalibur. Everything dries evenly, it's easy to clean, and the timer has been convenient. But even with the 9 tray model, I can see why you have several, PrepperMom. One may not be enough when I have a lot of produce to do. I am going to check out your links. Thanks.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby xdewit » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:29 am

Dear Preppermon and Mountainmama, thank you so much for your replies! Very helpfull, I will be buying the excalibur (which was my first choice). I will check your links, thank you so much for them. there is so much to learn!
Xant
xdewit

Postby kymber » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:16 am

thanks for the awesome links PrepperMom!
kymber

Postby birdgirl+1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Ladies, I have been looking at dehydrators. What is lehman's? Also, am concerned about the process. My sister and her husband who live out west do everything, fruit trees, hunt, can, freeze, generator, security fences property, stores, you name it. But the one thing my sister had no luck with was dehydrating. These folks built their property from scratch, weld. give shots to their own animals, Geeze, if they can't successfully dehydrate, can I? Birdgirl+1
birdgirl+1

Postby xdewit » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:30 pm

Dear Birdgirl,
I love the way your sister and her husband are living!! I thought I knew something about dehydrating, did that for years. someone (can't recall who, sorry :blush: ) mentioned this site: http://www.dehydrate2store.com best, really best site ever. Now I have 2 excaliburs on the way from the States to me (europe), I just received the UPC notice. Can't wait!!
Xant
P.S. Preppermom, checked all your links wonderfull! thank you, I bookmarked them all
xdewit

Postby LouKy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:13 pm

birdgirl+1 wrote:What is lehman's? Birdgirl+1

Oh my goodness ... Lehman's is my favorite store. Go online and check it out. They have all kinds of stuff I want!! It's a Prepper's paradise. :drool: It IS kinda pricey though.
LouKy

Postby birdgirl+1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:47 pm

OK, now I feel dumb. I thought the way the comments were phrased that there is a deydrator brand called Lehman's. I know where Lehman's is...I live within a morning's drive! Birdgirl+1
birdgirl+1

Postby mr bill » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:55 pm

SAVE SOME BUCKS AND ORDER ON-LINE. I FOUND A 9 TRAY EXCALIBUR FOR LESS THAN $200.00 AND RECEIVED IT IN ABOUT A WEEK. LEHMAN'S IS A FUN PLACE TO SHOP. PLAN ON BEING THERE AT LEAST HALF A DAY OR MORE. TRY HarvestEssentials.com
FREE SHIPPING IN USA
Leader zone 5, Clarke County
P!
mr bill

Postby sunburst » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:29 pm

I ordered a 5 tray excalibur long ago, maybe 6 years? I love it and it is going strong. Have peppers and onions dehydrating now. I would go with excalibur, I have never heard a bad word about their dehydrators! But sounds like you already have your mind made up :D

Dehydrating is easy, IMHO. Just try to make all the food items the same size, or atleast the same width. Otherwise some will be done before others. It is also helpful to rotate the trays halfway thorugh so each side gets a turn closer to the fan, although this is not always necessary.

If your unsure start with some apples, those are easy and realtivly clean. Mangoes dehydrate nice too. The only fruit I have had a problem with is grapes.....just couldn't get raisins out of them. Never got it.

The excalibur is also really easy to clean. After a few years of storage and some NASTY stains I soaked the trays in the bathtub with some soap and a couple hours later, viola! A good rinse and I was back in business!

Best of luck

Yah Bless
Kimberly
sunburst

Postby Vina8 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks for sharing your Excalibur experience, Kimberly. I just got mine a month or so ago and love it. I am looking forward to using it this summer when the garden starts producing.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby watcher » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:20 pm

You might want to take a look at the cabelas "commercial" dehydrators. I bought a 80 cubic on sale for 299. It has twice the capacity of the 9 shelf excalabur, It is very solid in construction. I did not like the all plastic excalabur. I have three dehydrators and this one is the best, but for large jobs only, like 25lb of ground chuck jerky all at once.
Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.
watcher
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks, Watcher. I will check it out.
Vina8

Postby tigger2 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:34 pm

If you can afford it, they don't come any better than the excalibur. I have a fairly cheap one. It does the job but it does not have an adjustable heat. That thing justs dries everything wide open. There is a fine line between drying and cooking. You don't want to cook. You want to dry.
Red Queen: I can give you the code, but first you must do something for me.
Alice: What?
Red Queen: One of your group has been infected. I require her life for the code.

Resident Evil

Region 1
tigger2
Prepper Emeritus

Next

Return to Drying, Dehydrating, & Smoking