• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

oven canning crackers

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

oven canning crackers

Postby richardson66 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Hello. I was wondering if anyone had "oven" canned crackers? I have thought before, how nice it would be to have crackers in storage. I am not into real canning, however, I have a considerable amount of dry canned stores. Ran across a VERY simple way to oven can crackers, while browsing the web. Curious, if anyone has tried it? Has anyone used after lengthy storage, etc.? Appreciate any info. R66
richardson66

Re: oven canning crackers

Postby richardson66 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:29 pm

sorry, should have given the instructions that I found:

Place crackers in clean jar
Put jars in cold oven, do not allow jars to touch, put lid on, but do not tighten
Set oven to 225 deg.

1 pint-15 minutes
1 quart- 30 minutes
1 half gallon- 45 minutes

carefully remove from oven, tighten lids, place on towel to cool.

**supposedly have 10 year shelf life (?) :D
richardson66

Postby MojoYankee » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:30 pm

When I was growing up we were poor and did not have a car. My grandma would take my mom shopping once a month. Mom shopped for sales and she and grandma canned and dry canned a lot if food.

Campbell's soup and saltines were a typical lunch--yeah, back then grade school kids walked home for lunch! :rolleyes: Anyway, mom bought saltines on sale and oven canned them in big jars. They lasted quite a long time that way.

Now I'm married to a man who LOVES saltines. He'd rather eat crackers than bread. I recently opened a jar that I oven canned a year ago and they were perfect in every way. Not stale at all. Crunchy. Same taste.

I should think they'd keep at least 2 or 3 years this way. Probably longer. With my husband's love of this item, I should have no trouble rotating them out. We literally use at least one box a week of saltines.

Hope this helps.
MojoYankee
Connecticut Preppers Network

Postby MojoYankee » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm

That's pretty much the method I use. In terms of them lasting ten years, I believe it's possible. As far as I know, saltines are just flour, salt, baking soda, water and maybe a bit of shortening. There's no dairy so likely a long shelf life if stored in the manner we are talking about.
MojoYankee

Postby JalepenoPrepper » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 pm

richardson66 wrote:sorry, should have given the instructions that I found:

Put jars in cold oven, do not allow jars to touch, put lid on, but do not tighten
Set oven to 225 deg.

1 pint-15 minutes
1 quart- 30 minutes

Do you start timing right away or wait until oven reaches temp?
No, you may not quote me for any book, article, news story, etc, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. -President Ronald Reagan
JalepenoPrepper

Postby JayJay » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:20 am

richardson66 wrote:Hello. I was wondering if anyone had "oven" canned crackers? I have thought before, how nice it would be to have crackers in storage. I am not into real canning, however, I have a considerable amount of dry canned stores. Ran across a VERY simple way to oven can crackers, while browsing the web. Curious, if anyone has tried it? Has anyone used after lengthy storage, etc.? Appreciate any info. R66

I dry oven canned flour, meal, and pancake mix last year. I am gonna save electricity and use food saver for my crackers next week. Got lots of empty mason jars, so gonna use them.
'God charts our paths; it is we who must take it'
JayJay

Postby richardson66 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Thanks folks, for your answers. I did forget to say, that you time, from when the oven reaches 225 deg. Wow, isn't it great to share ideas with people who, at the very least, are working at being much more self sufficient...in a world that has become so increasingly NOT self sufficient. Appreciate ya'll :clap: , R66
richardson66

Postby watcher » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Why not just vacume pack them in the jars? Its the same thing and less hassle.
Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.
watcher
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:09 pm

watcher wrote:Why not just vacume pack them in the jars? Its the same thing and less hassle.

It sure would be easier, Has anyone done it both ways and is one better or last longer than the other? Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby richardson66 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:32 am

That's why, I am glad to have this forum. I am not experienced in any of this. I don't know the [i]bestest[i] and safefest way to do this little job. A friend said, she is trying vanilla wafers and graham crackers...any opinions on why that wouldn't work? R66
richardson66

Postby watcher » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:35 pm

Cant see why it would not work but the space wasted is huge. Better to learn to make a close approximation and then store the base ingredients in with your bulk supplies (most are there already I bet). Its that way with me and pasta, I found a good source of semolina flour and store that bulk, I also have a second hand pasta machine though that is not really required.
Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.
watcher
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby JayJay » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Store basics and make em?? I could never in a hundred years make a Ritz cracker--and I will have them in my storage.
I have empty rooms, so space isn't the problem--now, the cost of mason jars might be!! :huh:

Does anyone have a link for a food saver canister???
JayJay

Postby PeachOnEarth » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:00 pm

I have oven canned a lot of dry goods..... Rice Krispies!!! ( which makes them even KRISPIER!).. Cheerios didnt fare so well??? maybe too much air from the holes??? not sure.. those were the only thing that didnt seal well for me.. i have dry-canned oats, flour, cornmeal, grits, rice krispies.. soo far so good.....
But im not putting all my eggz in one basket.. im also mylaring flour, oats and rice with O2 absorbers ... and I now have a vacuum-sealer so will try that next.
"Earth Laughs In Flowers" Raph Waldo Emerson

"What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." William Wordsworth

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." - Ron Finley
PeachOnEarth
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby BHOisaNYD » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:21 pm

richardson66 wrote:sorry, should have given the instructions that I found:

Set oven to 225 deg.

1 pint-15 minutes
1 quart- 30 minutes

10 years? wow. Thank you for this, it sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. Question: do you make the crackers yourself or buy in store? This all sounds very pro. (Professional, it's just an abbreviation I'm fond of.)
BHOisaNYD

Postby JayJay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:19 pm

PeachOnEarth wrote:I have oven canned a lot of dry goods..... Rice Krispies!!! ( which makes them even KRISPIER!).. Cheerios didnt fare so well??? maybe too much air from the holes??? not sure.. those were the only thing that didnt seal well for me.. i have dry-canned oats, flour, cornmeal, grits, rice krispies.. soo far so good.....
But im not putting all my eggz in one basket.. im also mylaring flour, oats and rice with O2 absorbers ... and I now have a vacuum-sealer so will try that next.

Same here--I have buckets of flour, pancake mix, and meal, and also same oven canned in mason jars.
I just got my food saver and have a few jars of crackers(for my pb :clap: ). More this weekend of crackers in jars.
Good luck.
JayJay

Next

Return to Food & Water