• Advertisement

storing coffee

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Re: storing coffee

Postby Gunns » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Take a chest freeze, drill a 1/4 inch whole in it towards the top on one side. Slip in a thermocouple and hook it up to a temperature controller that turns on the AC power and set the temp to what ever you want. Its a way to change a chest freezer into a high efficiency fridge.

There is a post on this some place on APN, not my idea just passing it on.
____________________________________________________________________________
Life Time NRA Member
Life Time Oath Keeper
Can't fix Stupid no matter how much you try
User avatar
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network
 
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: NE Texas

Re: storing coffee

Postby Silas Longshot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Like folks have mentioned, storage conditions are key to keeping any food item (or beverage to be brewed). We prefer putting our long term stash in our crawl space under the house in buckets with good lid seals, such as from Home Depot, with the items hard vacuumed in their bags, in the buckets. The temp under the house tends to be cool to cold year round. The access to under the house remains locked.
Not really cost effective, unless on sale, coffee packaged in the hard 'bricks' by some makers would probably last a good long time, because it's a much harder vacuum than in the cans, and certainly in the typical 'bag' of coffee. Now, with a foodsaver, you could buy larger quantities and hard vacuum pack smaller portions of the large container and get savings and longer term storage.
User avatar
Silas Longshot
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network
 
Posts: 938
Images: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:48 pm
Location: Newnan, GA
Karma: 37

Re: storing coffee

Postby woodsstalker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Kim333 wrote:Funny... Coffee is my number one worry...


I'm like you Kim. I am ready for the end of the world. Or total war. Or world wide natural disaster. But I am not ready to do without coffee!!

While back out Sav A Lot had a great sale on Folgers - so I stocked up on 4 cases!! Plus, I have about a thousand of these little freeze dried packets issued in the MRE's that I have gotten from various GI buddies of mine. Just trying to be on the safe side!!
If the grass on the other side of the mountain is starting to look greener maybe it's time you fertilized your own grass.

Blessed be the Lord, my strength, which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight- Psalm 144:1
woodsstalker
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: NC, USA
Karma: 13

Re: storing coffee

Postby PeachOnEarth » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:12 pm

I am trying to NOT use my freezer for any LTS items... if the grid goes down the freezer wont help... I am now using my freezer for only short term storage ( one to three months ) and to "kill" bugz in the grains which I put up LTS...

I figure we have about a years worth of coffee stored if rationed for two folks.. maybe more.. that coffee can get pretty stout brewed on the wood stove.. just add water??? LOL....
Gonna miss that irish cream :(... cant seem to 'KEEP' any of that stored!.. tried... always ends up getting used.. so I just gave up...

I think I will dry-can some flavored creamers tho... not sure about the shelf life.. but it cant hurt!
"Earth Laughs In Flowers" Raph Waldo Emerson

"What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." William Wordsworth

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." - Ron Finley
User avatar
PeachOnEarth
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1739
Images: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Karma: 68

Re: storing coffee

Postby Ghoti » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:55 pm

Gunns wrote:Green beans in mylar will then need roasting. One more thing to do.

I like the freeze dried in mylar.


It may be "One more thing to do" but worth the effort. If you're able to drink the freeze dried stuff then that's the root to go but if you appreciate good coffee then storing green coffee is the way to go and it can actually be bought much cheaper than roasted coffee.
Ghoti
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:40 am
Karma: 11

Re: storing coffee

Postby Kim333 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:52 pm

condomain wrote:Haha I am with all you guys. I got a ton of preps but, no coffee stored yet.

I did a quick calculation a while back. Freeze dried coffee (instant stuff) might just be easier to store than even green beans, for the effort/space required. We're gonna run out sooner or later. Face it folks!!!

Thoughts?

Speak for yourself! I will not run out of coffee!!! :gunshooting:
User avatar
Kim333
New Hampshire Preppers Network
New Hampshire Preppers Network
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:47 pm
Karma: 35

Re: storing coffee

Postby daaswampman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 pm

I have Community dark roast coffee that is vacuum sealed in mason jars using a Foodsaver. It is over four years old and the coffee is like fresh. I have no idea how long the shelf life could have. I rotate and what I an using is dated 01/2009, which is the date I packed it. It was stored in the shelter which is cool and dark. Many things including cooking oils will last much longer than most people think, if they are properly stored. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network
 
Posts: 8120
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: storing coffee

Postby CoffeeTastic » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:24 am

...is there any way to grow coffee beans yourself? I think they need a really warm climate.
User avatar
CoffeeTastic
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 am
Karma: 0

Re: storing coffee

Postby daaswampman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:37 am

CoffeeTastic wrote:...is there any way to grow coffee beans yourself? I think they need a really warm climate.


I have looked into it and there is no realistic way unless you live in that region. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network
 
Posts: 8120
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: storing coffee

Postby lovie_5 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:01 am

I love a good cup of coffee and am storing some beans, but I am also just biting the bullet and buying Folgers FD. It is not the best but it will beat nothing. I have even gone so far as to making myself get used to it by drinking a cup of it everyday.
lovie_5
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:59 pm
Karma: 2

Re: storing coffee

Postby daaswampman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:21 am

lovie_5 wrote:I love a good cup of coffee and am storing some beans, but I am also just biting the bullet and buying Folgers FD. It is not the best but it will beat nothing. I have even gone so far as to making myself get used to it by drinking a cup of it everyday.


Good plan. Better to make do then do without. Try honey as a sweetener. It seems to take some of that rough edge off of it. I have it at work for those times I can't live without some coffee. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network
 
Posts: 8120
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: storing coffee

Postby SurvivIt » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:59 am

Bottom line (IMHO):

Even Folgers FD will be better than ground up Acorn ersatz coffee...

If you're expecting to maintain the same quality of lifestyle after you've begun to dip into the stockpile, then you're either fooling yourself, or are seriously rich, with the equivalent of a WallyWorld distro center in your basement.

As an aside, I understand Tea will keep much longer, and can have as much caffeine as coffee
User avatar
SurvivIt
 
Posts: 234
Images: 4
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:26 pm
Location: Black Mountain, NC
Karma: 8

Re: storing coffee

Postby condomain » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Kim333 wrote:
condomain wrote:Haha I am with all you guys. I got a ton of preps but, no coffee stored yet.

I did a quick calculation a while back. Freeze dried coffee (instant stuff) might just be easier to store than even green beans, for the effort/space required. We're gonna run out sooner or later. Face it folks!!!

Thoughts?

Speak for yourself! I will not run out of coffee!!! :gunshooting:


Hehehe. More caffeine to you!

I laugh now but ... this is serious!!!! :p
condomain
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:23 pm
Karma: 43

Re: storing coffee

Postby condomain » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:34 pm

SurvivIt wrote:Bottom line (IMHO):

Even Folgers FD will be better than ground up Acorn ersatz coffee...

If you're expecting to maintain the same quality of lifestyle after you've begun to dip into the stockpile, then you're either fooling yourself, or are seriously rich, with the equivalent of a WallyWorld distro center in your basement.

As an aside, I understand Tea will keep much longer, and can have as much caffeine as coffee


Come on man, as all coffee drinkers know, tea just does NOT cut it... I drink tea politely at people's homes where they do not have coffee (hello?!) in anticipation of getting a real cup of coffee (as soon as I leave). LOL

I even researched how to GROW my own beans... no can do.
condomain
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:23 pm
Karma: 43

Re: storing coffee

Postby condomain » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:52 pm

daaswampman wrote:
lovie_5 wrote:I love a good cup of coffee and am storing some beans, but I am also just biting the bullet and buying Folgers FD. It is not the best but it will beat nothing. I have even gone so far as to making myself get used to it by drinking a cup of it everyday.


Good plan. Better to make do then do without. Try honey as a sweetener. It seems to take some of that rough edge off of it. I have it at work for those times I can't live without some coffee. Swamp


what is the max expiration date on these? I recall last time I bought FD coffee, it was maybe just 2 years from purchase date.
condomain
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:23 pm
Karma: 43

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Water

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors









Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer