• Advertisement

storing coffee

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Re: storing coffee

Postby Kim333 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Maybe we should start to wean off coffee. Noooooo... What am I thinking!!!!
Kim333
New Hampshire Preppers Network
New Hampshire Preppers Network

Postby MrDanB » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:15 pm

I have been roasting coffee a long time now (hobby, not professional). I have stored green coffee beans in burlap bags, plastic totes and mylar with O2 absorbers. Moisture will wreck green coffee. I have had beans in a simple burlap bag for 2 years or so and the coffee came out great. I have pulled green coffee from a plastic tote and roasted it and it was just fine. Mylar bags are for longer term storage. If you want to learn about home roasting coffee, go here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=6974&p=65528&hilit=santos+coffee#p65528

You don't have to keep coffee in the freezer. Either canning jars or mylar will work well :)
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator

Postby Mtn_Hiker » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:32 pm

I don't really drink coffee, perhaps 4 cups a month. However I know how my family needs their coffee, so I have a large supply, plus green beans sealed in mylar. I have joked around with them, that I plan to use it for barter. :evil:
Mtn_Hiker

Postby mombear » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:16 pm

I have about 15 lbs of coffee and we don't drink it. I do drink tea and been adding more and more to my stash every time I shop. We will probably drink twice as much under stress so I'm planning according, and then I remember you can use the tea twice, the second batch isn't as full flavor, but its still tea.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby yuta » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:03 pm

Generally speaking, some people say that we should store coffee in the fleezer to keep the quality good, meanwhile others say that we should not store the coffee in the fleezer because when the coffee fuses, the beans absorb the water and the taste does change. mmm...
yuta

Postby MrDanB » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:31 pm

yuta wrote:Generally speaking, some people say that we should store coffee in the fleezer to keep the quality good, meanwhile others say that we should not store the coffee in the fleezer because when the coffee fuses, the beans absorb the water and the taste does change. mmm...

Yuta, Here's the fact: Once a raw coffee bean is roasted, it expands and cracks. This action activates the essential oil in the bean and gives it a route to evaporate/leave. Coffee is optimally fresh for about 10 days from date of roast. After that, enough of the oil is gone to make a noticeable difference in flavor after brewing. Keeping roasted coffee in a freezer may or may not help to keep it fresh a little longer. Some say it slows down the evaporation of the goodness out of the beans and others say it is worse to keep it in the freezer. I personally keep unroasted beans in a large bin with a gasket lid. Use what I need on a weekly basis and keep the roasted beans in an airtight Tupperware type container. This has worked well for us for several years now...
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB

Postby sageprice » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:42 pm

Coffee is gtreat stuff but do you think it will come back after the SHTF event. After all it is an import and that requires a (giggle) stable dollar.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby yuta » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:20 pm

MrDanB wrote:
yuta wrote:Generally speaking, some people say that we should store coffee in the fleezer to keep the quality good, meanwhile others say that we should not store the coffee in the fleezer because when the coffee fuses, the beans absorb the water and the taste does change. mmm...

Yuta, Here's the fact: Once a raw coffee bean is roasted, it expands and cracks. This action activates the essential oil in the bean and gives it a route to evaporate/leave. Coffee is optimally fresh for about 10 days from date of roast. After that, enough of the oil is gone to make a noticeable difference in flavor after brewing. Keeping roasted coffee in a freezer may or may not help to keep it fresh a little longer. Some say it slows down the evaporation of the goodness out of the beans and others say it is worse to keep it in the freezer. I personally keep unroasted beans in a large bin with a gasket lid. Use what I need on a weekly basis and keep the roasted beans in an airtight Tupperware type container. This has worked well for us for several years now...

MrDranB, 10 days! pretty short. What I do is that I separate the roasted beans for 1 month and freeze everything, and use one by one. I didn't think about the roasted and unroasted beans. I will try to store unroasted bean too. I'd like to try the difference in terms of the way of storage. It's getting to be like experiments at lab. Hahaha
yuta

Postby swwiii » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:36 am

You can get little coffee bushes and grow them as house plants. They will not survive outside in colder temps (zone 8 and below). However, you can grow tea in more chilly areas. Not the same, but maybe better than nothing.
swwiii

Postby AuntBee » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:20 am

swwiii wrote:You can get little coffee bushes and grow them as house plants. They will not survive outside in colder temps (zone 8 and below). However, you can grow tea in more chilly areas. Not the same, but maybe better than nothing.

I didn't think of growing my own coffee. I'll grow it right next to the rabbit tabbacy.

Coffee plants grown indoors take about three years to produce berries, so start now. :-)

Aunt Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Vetmike » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:00 am

Maybe I should add this to my preps. Build two more big greenhouses. Grown coffee in one and tobacco in the other. Make great trade goods down the road. :whistling:
Vetmike

Postby 295linda » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:47 pm

I have some cans of Future Essentials green coffee beans that are supposed to be shelf stable for a long time if kept at a cool temperature and not opened. Have also printed off instructions on the primitive way to roast coffee beans in a round-bottom pan over camp fire coals, then coarsely grind with a Turkish spice grinder (bought one of those) and then brew the ground coffee in a cowboy coffee pot (have one of those too). This will be the very last way I will choose to make coffee because it sounds like a lot of work. I have also vacuum-canned, in canning jars, various brands of freeze-dried instant coffee, both regular and decaf. The freeze-dried coffee could also be packaged in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers if you don't mind the expense of these one-time-use packaging products (I like re-using my canning jars and lids many times with vacuum sealing). I don't mind the taste of instant coffee, if I can't have my Mr. Coffee--brewed coffee, since I always flavor my coffee with something yummy (spoonful to dark cocoa mix or Torani pumpkin spice syrup or vanilla creamer...). I also vacuum-can all sorts of tea bags so I can bulk-buy tea at low prices and keep the bags fresh for a long time.
295linda

Postby lilangelsmom » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:51 pm

Penny girl....what is the recipe for the creamer?
lilangelsmom

Postby Lance » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:19 pm

We keep ~ 6 cans at a time on the shelf and rotate the oldest to the front.

FWIW - I once got the truck stuck out at the cabin.....worked until 10:00pm trying to get it out.....and had to spend the night with no groceries.

The next morning I found a half full can of coffee my Grandad had left (6-8 years old) that was "stale." Lets just say when you REALLY need a cup of coffee it doesn't matter so much that it isn't "fresh." I was soooo glad to have it!!!
Make America Great Again........!!!
Lance

Postby mombear » Thu May 05, 2016 10:28 pm

I decided it was time to rotate my coffee stores, so I took the vacuum packed jars to the American Legion Post, We used them and no one said anything but that was good coffee. I repacked the jars, and decided we might want more, then I found one pound square vacuum packed bricks, I think about 10 of them would be nice to have.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Water