• Advertisement

DEHYDRATED CITRUS PEELS AND ROSE HIPS FOR VITAMIN C

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

DEHYDRATED CITRUS PEELS AND ROSE HIPS FOR VITAMIN C

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Sun May 29, 2016 11:44 am

I used to dehydrate citrus peels and rose hips as a natural source of vitamin C. First I would wash my hands really good and scrub under my fingernails and then wash the surface of the fruit really well before peeling. When peeling, I tried to peel the peels off in as large a piece(s) as possible and then tear or cut (with a really clean sharp knife on a very clean cutting board made of poly plastic. I read that citrus peels actually contain more vitamin C than either the pulp or the juice. In the Mountains of Montana we have wild roses that grow near many Mtn. creeks. I did not use a dehydrator. I just wrapped them in clean paper towels and let them dry naturally in a warm spot in the house or on a cookie sheet in a low heat oven 170 degrees until they became very hard, stiff and brittle. I always save some good sized ones for grating to add to other foods. I found that a fine grater worked best for me. I do not know how long they will keep in the states and containers I stored them in. I usually put them into very clean air tight jars or never before used Ziplock bags still in their paper towel wrap to prevent punctures in the bag. The rose hips have seeds in them and the best way to reduce them (the entire hose hip) is with a good mortar and pestle until they are powdered finely. Have any of you heard, read about or done this? Or maybe doing it now or recently? :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Re: DEHYDRATED CITRUS PEELS AND ROSE HIPS FOR VITAMIN C

Postby anita » Sun May 29, 2016 2:05 pm

I planted Rugosa roses specifically for the hips. They'd be great, as the article below mentions, anywhere that you need a barrier/living fence. They do spread like weeds, just be forewarned. The Rugosa rose hips are exceptionally large. This article has some good hip information.

http://www.homesteadlady.com/rugosa-ros ... heir-hips/
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Re: DEHYDRATED CITRUS PEELS AND ROSE HIPS FOR VITAMIN C

Postby Cin » Sun May 29, 2016 5:22 pm

I am nurturing an orange tree, a lemon tree, and a lime tree for just this reason.

That said, we have the wild multi-flora roses all around us, quite the nuisance, actually. So I'm not too worried unless we have catastrophic die-off event. We also live in a grove of pine trees. Pine needle tea is rich in Vitamin C.
Cin

Return to Food & Water