• Advertisement

Price comparison of food storage companies

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Price comparison of food storage companies

Postby elkmountaintents » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Hey everybody!

Last year I wanted to make a really big order of food. I was really nervous about what place could get me the best prices on the basics, so I looked at 11 different foods and compared their prices. This was 2015 so they may have changed a bit though. I've attached the comparison chart.

The best deal is if you are Mormon. The Mormon Church subsidizes the cost of several foods but I think you have to be a member.

Hopefully you find the information useful! If you know a better place to buy food storage, please share!
Attachments
Food Storage.pdf
(47.54 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
elkmountaintents

Re: Price comparison of food storage companies

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm going to sample some dehydrated foods from a company or 3 and compare them for quality, portions, price, expected or proven shelf life. I'll start with Mountain House. The only ones I have lots of negative comments/opinions/ratings/feedback input or dislike of by other preppers is Wise foods. What I've read is not top notch quality, not reasonably priced, lacking in good flavor, over rated shelf life. When I have found the best ones to stockpile, I will purchase a large quantity of them. And when I rotate the stock, periodically, I will donate the older ones to food Bank for the food help program for the needy I don't click links, videos or most downloads that are not certified as safe. :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby elkmountaintents » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:37 pm

Lifelong Survivalist wrote: I don't click links, videos or most downloads that are not certified as safe.

Thanks for the comment! Is there something I need to do to certify the download as safe? I'm new here.
elkmountaintents

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:33 pm

Elkmountain, I don't think you can do it. I don't think there is a service for it. When I do online research I use Norton safesearch in combo with Ask. Norton knows what sites are really safe to visit and have warnings about some posing PC threats to your computer or the files and info. and programs in your PC or device. I am being plagued by computer problems yet again. I meant no offense, it is just my personal policy because of the Cyber Warfare now underway that continues to get worse and infect on internet sites and PCs everywhere they can. To some people it is a game. To some it is a hobby. To some it is an occupation. For some it is hacking and spying and tracking and phishing. Some want to steal your personal info. if they can for ID theft or Fraud or scams. To some it is a challenge to out think and out smart the best in the Industry. To some Evil people, they just want to ruin and destroy for the fun they get out of it. It will only get worse as time goes by. I can't wait to move off grid, smash my computer with a sludge hammer into teensy weensy pieces and burn them up in a very hot camp or bon fire. Early high tech seemed good and useful. I hate what it has evolved into in the past 30 years or so. Yes, I said I HATE IT NOW. Eventually it will lead to the downfall of mankind. Don't know when or how, but am positive in my belief that it will eventually happen and it will be TEOTWAWKI IF SOMETHING JUST AS BAD DOES NOT HAPPEN FIRST. IF I WANT TO GO THROUGH A HASSLE I COULD COPY DOWN A LINK AND CHECK IT ON NORTON SAFESEARCH BUT IT REALLY IS A PAIN IN THE ...! The best answer I can give you is to buy some small samples and eat them before you stock up on them. If you like some of them and not others just get the ones you like best. Some can be enhanced or supplemented with more ingredients and flavorings when you fix them to eat. Write down your notes about those. Beware of Brands that want to sell you a large supply of variety items in the same package in order to move the ones that are the least liked by customers. :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby elkmountaintents » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:06 am

Lifelong Survivalist wrote:The best answer I can give you is to buy some small samples and eat them before you stock up on them. If you like some of them and not others just get the ones you like best. Some can be enhanced or supplemented with more ingredients and flavorings when you fix them to eat. Write down your notes about those. Lifelong

Thanks!

Also, I didn't realize until today, but apparently you don't have to be Mormon to shop at the online store: https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores ... _N_image_0

And I didn't really make it clear in the chart but the bottom row is for the LDS cannery. They have limited options but you can/pack your own food.
elkmountaintents

Postby Lynda1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:37 am

elkmountaintents wrote:Hey everybody!

Last year I wanted to make a really big order of food. I was really nervous about what place could get me the best prices on the basics, so I looked at 11 different foods and compared their prices. This was 2015 so they may have changed a bit though. I've attached the comparison chart.

The best deal is if you are Mormon. The Mormon Church subsidizes the cost of several foods but I think you have to be a member.

Hopefully you find the information useful! If you know a better place to buy food storage, please share!

You don't have to be a member of the LDS community to order on-line. I've ordered pinto beans from them. They don't have the wide variety of foods available from other sites. I personally like Emergency Essentials and made several large orders several years ago. I don't do the large orders anymore because I have a good stock but EE has pay as you go plans with varying costs.

I chose the cheapest plan at 50 bucks a month with free shipping. You can cancel at any time. I think it's a good alternative to supplement food storage in addition to what you buy at the grocery store and what you previously ordered from sites like these. EE has more expensive pay as you go plans but I thought this was manageable.
Lynda1

Postby LetsPrep11 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:34 pm

We have EE food but buy it on Walmart.com. It's normally cheaper than buying direct from EE.
Orders over $50 are shipped free and the order can be a mixture of anything from Walmart.com.
LetsPrep11

Postby donba » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Wise food will send You a free sample, if you ask. We liked there food and bought some. We only buy 60 days worth of food from any one company, that keeps it mixed and interesting eating…...
donba

Return to Food & Water