• Advertisement

Oxygen absorbers or vacuuming?

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Oxygen absorbers or vacuuming?

Postby FiatCurrency_1913 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi Folks,

In case of dry solids (i.e. wheat, rice, beans), what is better for long term storage: to use mylar bags with oxygen absorbers or professional plastic vacuum bags and a professional vacuum machine? Both are meant to decrease oxygen levels, but I think a decent vacuum machine will be much more efficient in removing the oxygen. This is the vacuum machine I use: http://www.henkelman.com/us/equipment/t ... o/jumbo-35

What would you use if you have both? Thx!
FiatCurrency_1913

Re: Oxygen absorbers or vacuuming?

Postby JayJay » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:32 pm

vacuum in mason jars
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby LeeLynn » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:51 pm

I use 02 absorbers and Mylar bags on things that are dry like sugar, flour, rice, and so on. I'm under the impression that if moisture is present at a certain % you run the risk of botulism. I can also, but have yet to get a vacuum sealer.
LeeLynn

Postby jean11 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:06 am

I do both. I seal the food in vacuum bags with my Foodsaver, then place them in a 5 gallon bucket which is lined with a 5-6 gallon mylar bag. When the bucket is full hubby and I first vacuum the air out of the mylar bag with a vacuum cleaner hose, pop in the 02 absorbers, and finish sealing the bag closed with an iron. All of us are putting a lot of money, time and effort to gather and prepare foods for long term storage. I want to be happy with the results, as one day they may be the only thing we have to eat.
jean11

Postby Stahlrosen » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:26 am

We vacuum mason jars as well. So far so good. The dry sealed jars I do keep the rings on, but those are also all in climate controlled areas. Well, as much as the house itself is anyway.
Stahlrosen

Postby LetsPrep11 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:19 am

I mainly use gallon size Mylar bags with 02 absorbers, as I had too many vacuum sealed bags fail over time. Don't add an 02 absorber to Salt & Sugar or they will turn into a brick. Vacuum sealed Mason jars are my preference for the fruits & vegetables that I dehydrate. I can keep an eye on them and remember to use them within a couple of years. They also look pretty! :D The jars & Mylar can be washed and reused but I wouldn't trust sterilizing the vacuum bags. If I wash and reuse them, it's not to store food.
LetsPrep11

Postby JayJay » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:52 pm

I only re-use vac bags when kept clean by having the stored item in a ziplok inside the bag.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby FiatCurrency_1913 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:04 pm

LetsPrep11 wrote:I mainly use gallon size Mylar bags with 02 absorbers, as I had too many vacuum sealed bags fail over time. Don't add an 02 absorber to Salt & Sugar or they will turn into a brick. Vacuum sealed Mason jars are my preference for the fruits & vegetables that I dehydrate. I can keep an eye on them and remember to use them within a couple of years. They also look pretty! :D The jars & Mylar can be washed and reused but I wouldn't trust sterilizing the vacuum bags. If I wash and reuse them, it's not to store food.

I've seen some on you saying that you vacuum mason jars. How is it done? Are the special mason jars of does it take special vacuum equipment?
FiatCurrency_1913

Postby NJMike » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:03 pm

FiatCurrency_1913 wrote:I've seen some on you saying that you vacuum mason jars. How is it done? Are the special mason jars of does it take special vacuum equipment?

Look up "Food Saver V3880 Wide And Regular Jar Sealer Kit With Hose Accessory"
example
http://www.sears.com/search=foodsaver%2 ... r%20sealer

Uses regular or wide mouth jars with a Food Saver.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby LetsPrep11 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:18 pm

Found a cheaper one on Amazon. I have both Wide Mouth and Regular but mainly use the Wide Mouth. I think I bought mine from Goodman.
https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479161379&sr=8-1&keywords=goodman+vacuum+sealer+attachment+for+jars

These attachments were one of the best prepping purchases I ever made.

Tip: if you buy the regular attachment you might have a problem with getting a good seal. I take an extra lid, flip it upside down and place it over the jar I'm sealing. It works every time. If you don't flip the extra lid, but fit the two lids together, you'll have a heck of a hard time separating them after using the sealer. I learned the hard way! :shock: It was like they were welded together.
LetsPrep11

Postby Murby » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:04 pm

For dried goods like beans, pasta, powdered milk, powdered eggs, etc, here is what I do...

Wash and dry the jars and then stick the empty jars in the oven at 225° for an hour. Turn oven off and let them cool until barely warm. This makes sure they are bone dry and sterile.

Fill them with product

Stick them back in the oven at around 225° to 250°.. but this time you have to monitor them. You want to get the jar hot, but not the contents. Heat the jar up until its just hot enough that you don't want to pick it up with bare hands.

Pull the jars out one at a time, insert oxygen absorber, place the lid (not the screw ring) on top, then apply deep vacuum to 27 inches of Hg.. We use a rotary vane vacuum pump from Harbor Freight.. its original purpose is to evacuate air conditioning systems so it pulls a nice hard vacuum. It takes our pump about 8 seconds to pull down a 1/2 gallon jar.

That's it.. done. Contents should last 10 to 20 years.
Murby

Postby ajax727 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:17 am

As above we use the oven method , we heat up clean sterile jars , add the rice or beans or whatever they are hot so we use mittens we lid it , ring it allow to cool and store it .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Return to Food & Water