• Advertisement

Thoughts On BePrepared.com Food Subscription?

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Thoughts On BePrepared.com Food Subscription?

Postby HideOutKid » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:23 pm

This is actually an inquiry on a friends behalf. I don't personally have a place to store food long term since I am active duty.

A friend of mine came across a website that offers a monthly food subscription and I was wondering if anyone with more experience on long term food supplies could offer some insight or thoughts on the subject. It seems to offer a monthly subscription to food at a discounted rate with the end goal being that at the end of one year (or two, depending on which plan you go with) you would have a year's supply of food stored.

My bud got carried away with storing rice and beans, and I guess variety is his key concern now, but I'm also really curious about the product myself. So I guess my key question is, is it worth the price or does anyone know a better source for long-lasting food options? Apparently the kid has enough money to toss around that he doesn't care too much about the cost, but I hate seeing people waste money and I'm trying to help him out.

http://beprepared.com/prep-as-you-go?HP=BTN-3/

Any thoughts, opinions, or insight anybody can offer is appreciated. Thanks!

- HOK
HideOutKid

Re: Thoughts On BePrepared.com Food Subscription?

Postby LetsPrep11 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:25 pm

BePrepared is 'Emergency Essentials', which is a pretty good product. I have some but bought mine from Walmart.com. Their prices are much better and shipping is Free on orders over $50. Walmart also sells Augason Farms, which I have A Lot of! :shock: I also buy a lot of the freeze dried vegetable and meats from Honeyville Farms. Their vegetables are awesome, especially the Vegetable Mix. My son eats the peas and corn right out of the can, very flavorful. Honeyville is a bit pricey so I always click on the link to get 10% off on a case of 6. When you don't order for a while they e-mail you a 10-15% discount code. Added to the 10% off the case is a great discount. Honeyville shipping is $4.99 no matter how much you order.

Your friend might do better shopping through a discounter like Walmart as buying direct from suppliers, like Emergency Essentials or Augason, is much more expensive (both product and shipping costs).
LetsPrep11

Postby IceFire » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:40 pm

I DO get dehydrated and freeze-dried foods from Emergency Essentials,, but I do NOT do the food subscription, simply because you don't have a choice of what foods are sent. This can be a SERIOUS problem if you have any food allergies/sensitivities. I prefer to by single ingredient items, and ALWAYS buy when they are on sale, that way I'm getting the best "bang" for my buck. Also, since I raise and preserve a lot of things myself, I don't buy what I don't need. There are also things that I can buy for less locally, and then vacuum seal/store in 5 gallon bucket with gamma seal lids.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:18 am

I don't know EE very well I'll admit, but I'm a little concerned on what I see there for the price in the sub packages.... it seems you're getting mostly spices, apple sauces, dairy, with little substance...There's no meat...like, at all.....Which is cool, if you're a rabbit I guess... :p

While I think any prepping is better than no prepping for your friend, if this gets him/her started than run with it.... Personally I think self preps are the cheapest way to go and likely to sustain you longer but understand time/hassle when you just want to get it done. that's how I ended up with 7 months for 3 people of various freeze dried...lol.

I really like the newer formulas from Wise foods...plus they are packaged no large that 4 servings for the main meals(No waste if not cooking for an entire village like with other companies)

the serving size is real, calories are there, and the sodium levels have come WAY down....it's last ditch food though being freeze dried....in SHTF it's edible(and wise taste pretty good/I'd say only second to mountain house) but it's not what you WANT to sustain you long term.

I cant imagine what we would look like living 3 months on freeze dried let alone 7....It is better than nothing though.

if you/he/she decides to try out wise, contact factory directly for specials...then like others you'll get notified of 40-60% off specials...that's when you pounce....With a little negotiation they will ship monthly holding the savings thru future months by telling them what you'll commit to in advance and then charge monthly.....If you run into hassles PM me and I can put you with my rep...he's been great.

~~~DR1VEN~~~
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby rickdun » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:49 pm

I've bought items from emergency essentials, but also bought from wise foods, augason farms, honeyville, wal-mart, etc..

I always buy the smallest one container and try it first, if I like it, I'll place a big order, but only when they have it on sale. I'd rather waste a few dollars on a small can and not like it instead of buying a big case and not like it. To each their own.

You can contact wise foods and they'll send you a sample meal to try but their meal kits are loaded with sodium so I don't buy the meals.

I personnally wouldn't buy a food subscription, that's just me.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Mountain mama » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Have a few pails of freeze dried, but I prefer to prep my own long term supplies put together myself. The freeze dried are loaded with salt and not particularly tasty. I do buckets with mylar bags of rice and varieties of dried beans. I can every year. Save my seeds from heirloom nongmo varieties, (check out rareseeds.com to start), and dont forget to buy bulk spices and vacuum seal them in small jelly jars so you can make foods taste good. Its a lot cheaper to make your own longterm preps. Check out LDS websites for ideas. They are great preppers. I would pass on subscription services.
Mountain mama

Return to Food & Water