• Advertisement

Lets talk Bananas ???

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Lets talk Bananas ???

Postby Murby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:04 am

I want to store some banana chips but have a few questions..

Can I make them myself and store for long term in a canning jar or mylar bag?

Been reading that people make them using just an oven.. wondering how well that works and if its enough to store them long term..

I also have a dehydrator with heater and fan that does great with jerky...

Or should I just go straight to the freeze dried stuff they sell?

I was thinking if I use an oven to dry them, then pack in quart jars, then back into the oven for another round of heating, then put the lid on and pull down a heavy vacuum w/oxy absorber, that should do it.. What do you think?
Murby

Re: Lets talk Bananas ???

Postby donba » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:49 am

I sort of did both, I dehydrated some and put them in a quart jar (wide mouth), then vacuum and oxygen absorber. Some I bought in a bag Free-dried, they didn't seam to be dry enough. We put them in the dehydrator and pulled some moisture out of them. Vacuum sealed in a quart jar W/m with oxygen eater. Both seam to be holding up OK. A lot of the "freeze dried' stuff we can buy seams to have quite a bit of moisture in it. Moisture in dried food seams to lead to spoilage to us, so we dry it out some more. A dehydrator is a lot more efficient than an oven, for drying food....
donba

Postby Murby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:00 am

donba wrote:I sort of did both, I dehydrated some and put them in a quart jar (wide mouth), then vacuum and oxygen absorber. Some I bought in a bag Free-dried, they didn't seam to be dry enough. We put them in the dehydrator and pulled some moisture out of them. Vacuum sealed in a quart jar W/m with oxygen eater. Both seam to be holding up OK. A lot of the "freeze dried' stuff we can buy seams to have quite a bit of moisture in it. Moisture in dried food seams to lead to spoilage to us, so we dry it out some more. A dehydrator is a lot more efficient than an oven, for drying food....

Do we take into consideration that an oven can reach temperatures dehydrators don't? There might be something there for killing any bugs or bacteria..

What's the longest you've kept the banana chips in a canning jar for? Any degradation?
Murby

Postby Stahlrosen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:09 am

I can't dehydrate enough banana chips fast enough to have them stick around long term. They all get gobbled up :(
Stahlrosen

Return to Food & Water