• Advertisement

how to keep bread fresh?

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Re: how to keep bread fresh?

Postby Northern Freeman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:07 am

One of the problems with wheat and oats and such in the US is the practice of spraying it with a herbicide to help with earlier harvesting. Another one is all the garbage they put in it for mass production to supply the grocery shelves. I go with certified organic wheat so I know its not been poisoned. And if you really want to get fussy you can go with Spelt wheat but of course at a additional cost.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman
Minnesota Preppers Network
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:22 am

daaswampman wrote:Consumers buy what they are programmed to want from the choices they are given. Billions is spent on advertising and packaging, even the placement on the stores shelf is researched and costs big bucks. Few people read labels or compare products. It is actually fascinating to watch videos of people shopping for new products.

The best one I watched was the introduction of a new larger size. It outsold the old size and actually cost more per ounce - 50% more at double the price. Even a new label can change everything! A drink that was not selling had a label change to say "All Natural Sweeteners". You guessed it, they replaced high fructose corn syrup with high fructose corn syrup and a new label! Sales nearly doubled!

We may think we have choices, but we choose from the choices we are given. Swamp

As a retailer, I witnessed what Swamp has stated. It happened on a regular basis.
My favorite scam was a popular dog food that stated: "IMPROVED, NOW WITH CHICKEN" . We later found out that the manufacturer had added chicken feathers to their formula. No food value, but the dogs loved it. Of course, I got rid of the dog food and refused to carry it. Customers wouldn't believe it and still requested the food.
MacDonalds is a good example of advertising wretched quality food and getting customers to believe they are getting quality and value.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:16 am

How come all i could see was a big sign over a store that said "New and Improved Reb 2.0 now with chicken" .... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I need more sleep.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby anita » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:22 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:
daaswampman wrote:Consumers buy what they are programmed to want from the choices they are given. Billions is spent on advertising and packaging, even the placement on the stores shelf is researched and costs big bucks. Few people read labels or compare products. It is actually fascinating to watch videos of people shopping for new products.

The best one I watched was the introduction of a new larger size. It outsold the old size and actually cost more per ounce - 50% more at double the price. Even a new label can change everything! A drink that was not selling had a label change to say "All Natural Sweeteners". You guessed it, they replaced high fructose corn syrup with high fructose corn syrup and a new label! Sales nearly doubled!

We may think we have choices, but we choose from the choices we are given. Swamp

As a retailer, I witnessed what Swamp has stated. It happened on a regular basis.
My favorite scam was a popular dog food that stated: "IMPROVED, NOW WITH CHICKEN" . We later found out that the manufacturer had added chicken feathers to their formula. No food value, but the dogs loved it. Of course, I got rid of the dog food and refused to carry it. Customers wouldn't believe it and still requested the food.
MacDonalds is a good example of advertising wretched quality food and getting customers to believe they are getting quality and value.
Reb

Is that why you go to Burger King three times a day??? :D
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:10 pm

anita wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:

Reb

Is that why you go to Burger King three times a day??? :D

The only fast food outlet I will ever visit is Chick Fillet. Burger King is almost as bad as Mickey D's. :)
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

rebnavy1862

Postby daaswampman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:03 pm

This is way off topic, but I love Chick-Fill-A! And the secret - soak the chicken breasts in dill pickle juice with a tiny dash of lemon juice! Then fry with peanut oil! Breaded or not breaded, deep fried or pan fried, they are really good! Rolled in corn meal is just wonderful! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Sheesh! Fresh bread doesn't last around my house. It is eaten before it goes stale. I back every third day or so. Mostly I bake what is call turbo bread. It rises overnight and is baked fresh in the morning. I DO NOT need to store it as I do not over bake. Make only the amount you will eat in two days. If it's a small loaf it's your Fresh small loaf. If I want a firmer bread, It's more non-wheat flour than wheat. There are also very good gluten free recipes. The grocery store GF sucks.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby cellengrac » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:10 pm

How do you make turbo bread. I am looking into buying grain to store and grind for flour. I met a lady who does this. She said it makes much better bread
cellengrac

Postby Inmar » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:04 am

It remains only to pick up the experiments of the American firm Monsarto in 1913 and you'll see what I mean
:)
Sorri, please write simple words without the "slang" ..
i am using google translator...
Inmar

Postby Gunns » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:50 am

Bread lasts a lot longer than 1 day. If Russian bread stales that fast then they do not know how to make bread.

1 Cup of water
2 tablespoons of oil or butter
1 egg

2 tablespoons of brown sugar or honey or molasses
3 tablespoons of freeze dried butter milk
1.5 teaspoons of salt
2.5 cups of good whole white bread flour
.5 cups of good whole wheat bread flour

1 tablespoon of yeast

I use this recipe or variations of it for both the bread machine, which I really really like or by hand. I just made a loaf yesterday and will eat it over the next few days.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Inmar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:26 am

good advice.
It remains only to buy an oven for baking bread
Sorri, please write simple words without the "slang" ..
i am using google translator...
Inmar

Postby Gunns » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 am

Inmar wrote:good advice.
It remains only to buy an oven for baking bread

Got to have the heat to make the meat. LOL
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Previous