• Advertisement

Milk Alternatives

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Milk Alternatives

Postby TRex2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:04 pm

I have some members of my group that are unable to drink cow's milk. And it is not the lactose. It is some protein in it. I can drink goat's milk, so I assume most of the others can too (even though I am not blood relation to them), since it appears we suffer from the same malady.

Some of them drink almond milk. To keep it on hand for
several weeks is no problem, but years would be a problem.
Powdered almond milk is priced about the same as silver :rolleyes:

Powdered goat's milk seems to be a reasonable alternative.
Does anyone have any experience with it?

Does anyone have any other alternatives?
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Re: Milk Alternatives

Postby IceFire » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:00 pm

If you aren't in town, get a couple of goats...fresh goat milk. You can also use it to make cheese, ice cream, etc. (just not butter...the cream doesn't separate.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby JoyDog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:28 pm

If you don't like it, try pasteurizing it. 6 minutes per gallon in the microwave and it should taste better than cows milk. Its good stuff!
JoyDog

Postby TRex2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:57 am

IceFire wrote:If you aren't in town, get a couple of goats...fresh goat milk. You can also use it to make cheese, ice cream, etc. (just not butter...the cream doesn't separate.)
Thanks. That is under consideration.

JoyDog wrote:If you don't like it, try pasteurizing it. 6 minutes per gallon in the microwave and it should taste better than cows milk. Its good stuff!

I might try that, even though the taste isn't really the problem.
Mostly it is economics: getting the most nutrition for the money,
after SHTF.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
TRex2

Postby rickdun » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:26 am

TRex2, my one granddaughter had that same problem when she a baby. The doctor had my daughter cut the milk, 50% milk to 50% water, worked like a charm and she still does it today at age 15 yo.

Don't know if it will work in your situation, but worth a try.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:26 pm

I wanted to visit Kroger before posting. The shelf stable milk alternatives in the cartons/boxes didn't really have a long shelf life. One almond milk I checked had a November 2018 expiration date, the others were shorter. These are a short term fix if you keep them rotated. There were many varieties to choose from though besides almond - soy, cashew, coconut to name a few.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby rickdun » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:47 pm

TRex2, I talked to my granddaughter today and she told me that she also mixes non-dairy powdered coffee creamer with water and puts it on her cereal with no problems.

So I took some of my wife's powdered coffee creamer and mixed some with water, 2 tablespoons mixed in 8 ounces of water, it's drinkable, but wouldn't want it all the time. :thumbdown:

But there are no vitamins in it, it's fat free.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby TRex2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:10 pm

rickdun wrote:TRex2, I talked to my granddaughter today and she told me that she also mixes non-dairy powdered coffee creamer with water and puts it on her cereal with no problems.

So I took some of my wife's powdered coffee creamer and mixed some with water, 2 tablespoons mixed in 8 ounces of water, it's drinkable, but wouldn't want it all the time. :thumbdown:

But there are no vitamins in it, it's fat free.

Yeah, if it doesn't have calcium, it isn't really worth it.

But, thanks to all of those who chimed in.

A little "shelf stable" almond milk and some powdered goat's milk
will have to do until I can figure out a way to keep goats for milking.
TRex2

Postby mamabear6 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 am

My 5 year old was recently diagnosed with dairy issues. When I mentioned that we were getting goats to milk, the doctor was elated and said that that would be perfect! His rash disappeared within 2 weeks and we have had no issues. I have heard that raw cow's milk is easier to digest as well for some...have not tried this yet. We love our goats...but may go this route eventually, just to have our options open.

Also, for anyone that complains of a "goaty" taste to the milk. Refrigerate immediately (we do anyway, but I know a few people that wait until the rest of the barn chores are done, before heading to the house with their milk). Also, we have Nigerian Dwarf goats, which are known to have a richer and creamer milk.
mamabear6

Postby TRex2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:46 am

mamabear6 wrote:My 5 year old was recently diagnosed with dairy issues. When I mentioned that we were getting goats to milk, the doctor was elated and said that that would be perfect! His rash disappeared within 2 weeks and we have had no issues. I have heard that raw cow's milk is easier to digest as well for some...have not tried this yet. We love our goats...but may go this route eventually, just to have our options open.

Also, for anyone that complains of a "goaty" taste to the milk. Refrigerate immediately (we do anyway, but I know a few people that wait until the rest of the barn chores are done, before heading to the house with their milk). Also, we have Nigerian Dwarf goats, which are known to have a richer and creamer milk.

Thanks for the input. I have some real estate issues
to work out before goats can be brought in,
but that is just a matter of time.
TRex2

Postby IceFire » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 pm

mamabear6 wrote:Also, for anyone that complains of a "goaty" taste to the milk. Refrigerate immediately (we do anyway, but I know a few people that wait until the rest of the barn chores are done, before heading to the house with their milk). Also, we have Nigerian Dwarf goats, which are known to have a richer and creamer milk.

There are a couple of things that will reduce (or eliminate) the "goaty" taste...

1. Pick a breed that has a higher butterfat content to the milk (you can look up the butterfat content from the different breeds...higher the butterfat content, the "sweeter" and NON-goaty-tasting the milk)

2. Watch what your goats eat! This makes a BIG difference in the taste of the milk!

3. (and probably THE most important!) KEEP THE BUCKS AWAY (far, FAR away, and as downwind as possible!) from any milking does! If bucks are kept in proximity to a milking does, their "billy goat funk" WILL taint the milk.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby IceFire » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Oh, one other thing....there IS a trade-off The breeds that have a higher butterfat content to their milk generally do NOT give quite as much milk. The breeds that are milking MACHINES, generally have a LOWER butterfat content. Me, I'd rather have LESS milk, but better-tasting milk.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby JoyDog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 pm

We have had hundreds of goats. Icefire knows her goats and knows how to take care of them.
JoyDog

Return to Food & Water