• Advertisement

Shelf life of frozen fruits

Freezing Discussion

Shelf life of frozen fruits

Postby Photon Guy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:04 pm

I've got some blueberries in the freezer and they've been there for at least a year. So would they still be good to use? I use frozen blueberries to make fruit smoothies and Im wondering if they would still be good after such a time period even while frozen. I do not have a frost free freezer.
Photon Guy

Re: Shelf life of frozen fruits

Postby rickdun » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Had to ask my wife about that one Photon, she said, you remember that blueberry pie I made two weeks ago that lasted about one day, I said yes, she said those were the last of the blue berries from 2014. She said to pick out any ones that have turned white and throw them out.

Before she freezes them she soaks them in lemon juice for awhile, strains them and then in quart freezer bags.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm eating 2014s now. No problem. I flask freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and then bag them. They stay separated.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby theoutback » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:50 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:I'm eating 2014s now. No problem. I flask freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and then bag them. They stay separated.
Reb

That's what we do too Reb. Works great!

Frost in the bag with them is one thing but when the fruit itself turns white, that is another thing. I've had good luck a couple years out.
theoutback

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:17 am

I threw away 3 containers of frozen corn from 2014. After it thawed it looked just fine, but
we have plenty so didn't bother.

I don't like to keep stuff frozen over 2 or 3 years. If wrapped good its likely ok though.

Put up my first batch of 5 dozen ears of corn, waiting for hubby to bring the second
batch.

Finished my strawberries and have enough blueberries left from last year. We don't
eat as much as we used to so downsizing some of the quantities this year.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:14 am

Posted twice
PatrioticStabilist

Return to Freezing