• Advertisement

Recipe/Food Binder - Share your recipes & tips

Post your recipes here

Re: Recipe/Food Binder - Share your recipes & tips

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Happy New Year!
Hoping this year brings more folks into the prepping fold and allows all of us to get even more prepared. I also hope that one of the 2018 goals for some is to start a binder or notebook with recipes and tips for using LT food storage. I will continue to share on this thread as long as there is interest. Of course I would really like to see more folks share! :rolleyes:

On to more recipes!

The other night I served a dish that my mom made for us when I was growing up. It's easy, delicious and filling. I use beef cubed steak but pork or venison cubed steak can be used. If you need to cook some tough meat, I would suggest making more gravy and cooking at a lower temp, for a longer period of time. When I have done this, the meat really is fall apart, fork tender. Also, the recipe can be doubled or more to feed a crowd.

Swiss Steak

Beef Cubed steak - enough pieces to cover the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish ( I had 6 pieces )
Seasoned flour
Oil - enough for a thin layer on the bottom of skillet
1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes (or home canned or frozen can be used - pint )
1 can Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup
1/2 soup can of water ( if you use home canned or home frozen, you may not need the water )

Brown flour dredged cubed steaks in a little oil in a large skillet then place in the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish.
In the hot skillet, pour tomatoes, soup and water - stir to combine; turn off heat and pour over meat.
Gravy will cook down some so make sure you have enough liquid for desired thickness.
Bake for about an hour in a 350 degree oven.
Serve with white rice.

This is one of my dad's most favorite meals. There are only 2 recipes that I have that use this particular Campbell's soup, so I keep 4-6 cans in my pantry. It is often on sale with the other soups so I grab it when I see it on sale. I have actually looked for a homemade version but I haven't found one that looks like a good substitute. I will continue to search for one though.

Again, Happy New Year! I hope that everyone sets some great 2018 prepper goals for themselves!

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:30 pm

I used something today that so many people have in their preps and most folks have stored a lot of it! OATMEAL
We have buckets of it sealed in mylar and funny thing is, before prepping we rarely ate it. Being from the south, I grew up eating grits. Only hubs ate the weight management Quaker oatmeal packets and only in the winter time. So, as I usually do, I started researching recipes that would use this precious prep and that would be easy to make if the SHTF. But recently, I started seeing Overnight Oats pop up on many a blog and decided to make some for hubs. He was already eating greek yogurt with fruit pretty regularly and this was something that I could buy prep wise in the form of Freeze dried yogurt from Emergency Essentials. Currently, the large can of vanilla yogurt "bites" is $34.95 and if you buy 6 cans the price is $29.95 each - and they have a 25 year shelf life. Now, I agree that this is an expensive item, just like cheese BUT this is healthy treat that just might get some folks to eat their oatmeal! If using this product, reconstituted, I would cut back on any sweetener as they are very sweet. I also went on Amazon and purchased 4 little mylar bags of Freeze dried fruit to experiment with rather than open any of our #10 cans but you can use fresh fruit if available to you along with frozen or canned. Now, on to the recipe!

Basic Overnight Oats

1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
1/2 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup milk (any kind will do)
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1-2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
1 Tbsp chia seeds (optional) (my hubs does NOT like these but many say it makes it creamier or pudding like)

Mix together in a bowl and put either in a sealed container, a pint jar or 2 jelly jars. Refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours. Stir and enjoy.
2 Servings or more if catering to smaller appetites.

Fun Add ins:
Fruit - freeze dried, dehydrated, fresh, frozen or canned
Chopped nuts or coconut
Peanut butter - jarred or powdered
Pumpkin puree - great way to use canned pumkin, add some pumpkin pie type spices
Unsweetened cocoa
Your flavor combinations are limitless. Hubs likes blueberries with pecans but you can make chocolate PB, tropical, mixed fruit and the list goes on!

Maybe in your area you have dairy cows where fresh milk is readily available or sheep or goats milk to make homemade yogurt. I don't think we will see much yogurt or fresh cheese around these parts should the SHTF but you just might - lucky you!

If you have a favorite way to prepare your oatmeal, please feel free to share! I will be posting a few more recipes in the coming weeks for this essential prep item.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby arkieready » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:45 pm

Thank you for the pumpkin pineapple bread recipe. I made it pretty much verbatim. But no nuts. Don't like them in breads or cookies. It was a very easy recipe, baked up beautiful, but didn't last long enough to validate claims as to staying fresh after cut. Rich, not too sweet-- surprising since there is a lot of sugar.
I need to look at the Swiss steak recipe for DH. He likes that.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Thanks Arkie for the feedback on the Pumpkin Pineapple bread - I made it twice in a week it turned out so good. I am currently working on a cranberry bread recipe - haven't quite gotten it to where I want it to be. I liked it a lot, more than the guys. It is a bit drier, which I kind of like. Sometimes quick breads can be too sweet and/or moist - which I am sure some folks would beg to differ. My plan, should the SHTF, is to cut back on sugar in my recipes to conserve our stockpile. I know from experience that if you cut back on sugar/sweetener, your taste for it changes and it doesn't take as much to satisfy that sweet craving.

I made banana bread yesterday and it calls for a full cup of brown sugar! Along with the over ripe bananas - it is very sweet. I made it with melted coconut oil and that tends to make baked goods more moist than regular vegetable oil, I have found. I won't have bananas should the SHTF and probably only folks in Florida would so I don't really have any recipes in my Prepping binder. I guess maybe some folks will buy the freeze dried ones but we haven't.

Another point on the coconut oil - it last indefinitely. I have read that it can go "off" and turns yellow - however, none of mine has and I am using a canister of LouAna Pure Coconut oil with a best by date of 8/2014. Still pure white and no off odor. In the summer here it is liquid and solid in the winter. Great to bake with IMO. It has become more main stream as well, making the prices a little better and easier to find - even in small towns.

Thanks again Arkie for the feedback and most definitely make that swiss steak for DH!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:31 am

Another way to use your oatmeal is to make cookies! But wait! How about a healthy breakfast cookie? People pay big bucks for prepackaged, convenient breakfast.
I found this recipe a few years back on eat-drink-lovedotcom and it uses stockpiled, pantry ingredients. These would be a great, portable breakfast or snack.

Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Cookies

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup maple syrup (agave nectar, honey or other syrups would work too)
1 large apple, peeled & grated (squeeze out some of the juice)
1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet w/parchment paper or a baking mat.
In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, oil, syrup & grated apple.
In a separate bowl, stir together oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon & salt.
Mix dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients until just combined. Stir in nuts.
Scoop the batter in 1-1/2 Tbsps onto cookie sheet, leaving 2 in. Between each cookie.
Bake 10-13 minutes until lightly browned.
Makes 1 dozen

This would also work well with dehydrated or freeze dried applesauce and apple dices/slices. Vegetable oil would work as well as organic palm oil. Maple syrup, which last indefinitely, should be in everyone's preps. It is pricey but worth it. Substitutes for the maple syrup are honey, agave nectar, cane syrup (which will make a come back in the south) and there are some newer all natural sweetener syrups like Truvia - these are more compact, which means you use half as much. We stockpile old fashioned oats, not the instant or quick kind - they last longer and are healthier.
Speaking of healthy - the combo of all these super healthy ingredients is a power house of nutrition. You can't go wrong with these breakfast cookies!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Along the same vein of convenient breakfast and snack foods that people have become accustomed, I am sharing with you today another option to use your stored rolled oats: Breakfast Bars. Folks often speak of comfort foods and those don't necessarily have to be unhealthy or prepackaged. This recipe uses LTS ingredients completely.

Breakfast Bars

3 cups rolled oats
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2/3 cup oil
2 eggs
Jam or Jelly

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine oats, flours, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor. Process until oats are finely ground.
Add oil and eggs, pulse to evenly combine, scraping sides of bowl.
Press half of crumb mixture evenly on bottom of a well oiled 9X13 in. baking pan.
Spread jam/jelly evenly over crumbs. Top with remaining crumb mixture and pat down gently.
Pat down good to make sure bars stay together when cut.
Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan. Cut into bars

This is similar to a Nutrigrain bar. In a grid down you may not be able to use a food processor - I would run the oats thru your grain mill as you would wheat berries. Then all the other ingredients should be easily mixed in with a spoon or even your hands. I also would try these in a sun oven. Also, as people's sweet tooth settles down or even before, I would cut that sugar back to half of what is called for since jam is also included - I find Nutrigrain bars incredibly sweet already. Different spices could be used with different fruit jams such as nutmeg, cloves and ginger. This is a workable recipe that you could change up to accommodate what you have on hand.

Just think about all those stored oats.....

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Staying with the current topic of Oats. This is a warm breakfast for those cold mornings many of us have been experiencing lately.

Baked Oatmeal

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
1 large egg
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla
2 ripe bananas, sliced 1/2 in.
1-1/2 cups blueberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Prepare an 8 in. square baking dish w/cooking spray or butter
In a bowl, mix together oats, half the nuts, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
In a small bowl, whisk together syrup, milk, egg, 1/2 of butter and vanilla
Arrange banana slices in a single layer on the bottom of pan. Sprinkle 2/3 of berries over the top
Cover the fruit with the oatmeal mixture then slowly drizzle milk mixture over the oats
Tap pan to get the liquid into oats
Scatter remaining berries and nuts over the top
Bake 35-45 minutes until top is nicely golden and oat mixture has set
Remove from oven, cool slightly & drizzle with remaining butter

To serve, an additional sprinkle of sugar or drizzle of maple syrup can be added for more sweetness. Any combination of fruit, berries or nuts can be used. If using freeze dried fruits, you may want to add a little more milk for them to rehydrate or you could rehydrate them with some water first.
I'm thinking I just might order a couple cans of freeze dried banana slices to have on hand. Many folks have berries near or on their property - we have wild huckleberries and blackberries as well as blueberry bushes. Fruit does amazing things for oatmeal! Certainly makes it more palatable for those of us who don't care for it plain.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby IceFire » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Ooohhh....I haven't made baked oatmeal in YEARS! I used a different recipe, but still..YUMMY! Plus, it's a lot easier taking a square to eat on the run than it is to try to eat a bowl of oatmeal while you're driving down the road!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 pm

IceFire wrote:Ooohhh....I haven't made baked oatmeal in YEARS! I used a different recipe, but still..YUMMY! Plus, it's a lot easier taking a square to eat on the run than it is to try to eat a bowl of oatmeal while you're driving down the road!

Indeed!
If you want to share your recipe, that would be great! Give people flexibility with more options.
Thanks IceFire!

Oatmeal doesn't have to be boring or plain. Most folks have a bucket or two or even more in their LT Food Storage. Plan on making nutritious food for your family that tastes great.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:48 pm

I am going to interrupt the oats postings to share my recipe for elderberry syrup since the flu is currently running rampant around the US.
We purchased our freeze dried elderberries from nutsdotcom. They can also be found on Amazon. If you have found another source, please share. At this point they may or may not be available due to the current flu epidemic and demand.
Most come in Mylar but can be broken down into smaller Mylar bags or put into jars sealed with a foodsaver or vacuum.

Elderberry Syrup

1/2 cup dried elderberries
3 cups water (I use filtered/bottled)
1 tsp ground cinnamon (cinnamon sticks can also be used)
1/2 cup raw honey
Place berries and water in a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer, don't boil. Let simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Then remove from heat and cool slightly. Drain thru a fine strainer, mashing to remove juice. Add cinnamon and honey, stir.
Store in a glass jar in the fridge.
1 Tbsp for adults, a teaspoon for children

When using a cinnamon stick, simmer with the berries. Other spices that can be used are ground or whole cloves ( whole simmered with berries), fresh ginger (I have used dehydrated pieces as well) and fresh lemon juice. I kept it simple this time and I have to say, I like the taste better. When I add ground clove and ginger, it is very spice heavy which I don't like. Your tastes may differ.

If you have another elderberry syrup recipe to share, please do - this is a time when it is needed to help folks avoid this very serious flu outbreak.

Thanks,
Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby arkieready » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Not syrup, but elderberry tincture.

Half fill a jar with dried elderberries. Top up with high proof alcohol. I used everclear. Let sit several weeks. Strain and add as much as equal parts raw local honey. A shot a day all flu season, more when sick. I used fresh berries this year. Steeped a couple weeks, strained. Dried berries make a "cleaner" looking tincture. Maybe stronger, too. Not diluted with water in the berries. But berries were huge and plentiful so I did fresh.

I still have some dried, maybe I make syrup and buckwheat pancakes. Or sourdough pancakes.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Great share! Thanks! That's going in my binder.
We had fresh year before last, last year wasn't a good year for our elderberries - deer got them all. They must be tasty! We have 6 bushes and are planning on fencing them in now that we had visitors. We think it was a doe with babies and they stayed close to our homestead - nipping on anything that wasn't fenced.

Having your very own elderberry bushes may be a good investment for those who have room to grow them, they're pretty easy to care for and grow.

Now about those pancakes.....yum!

Mrs Fp
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:21 pm

This is more of a product review rather than a recipe, just wanted to share an experience.

When we cleaned out my dad's house when it sold in November, we went to cleaning out a house that had been lived in for 38 years. As you can probably guess, a lot of stuff got donated and thrown away, especially food. We tried to salvage what we could. Dad had a couple boxes of Zatarain's bean seasoning mixes that we packed up because he couldn't find an expiration date on them and thought they would still be good. Yes, yes they're still good. I did end up finding the "best by date" and this package was over 7 years old.

Now, normally, I do not use store bought mixes as I am a pretty good cook BUT I can bet that there are a lot folks out there who aren't such great cooks and would like a little help making their stored dry beans a little bit more palatable. This is the product for you! It obviously stores well for a long period of time. It is a mylar/paper bag with seasoning mix inside then packaged in a box. I would recommend placing these boxes inside another sealed container like a Rubbermade or Sterlite to keep them safe from light, moisture and critters.

On the box you will find directions for stove top cooking method for both dry or canned beans. The canned bean directions are on the side of the box and the dry bean directions are on the back. The recommended white beans are great northern, navy or lima - we used navy beans. They're small and cooked up great.

Another way to cook them would be the crockpot method - this is what I did. I presoaked the beans over night and used less water in the preparation. The directions call for 8 ounces of ham or any smoked meat - we added kielbasa as that is what I had on hand, plus 3 slices of leftover bacon from breakfast that I chopped up. I could see canned ham as a prepper addition or even spam, if you have stockpiled this savory (salty) meat product!

Finally, this seasoning mix is not too salty or spicy - it is considered "mild" even though it is marketed as "New Orleans Style". Additional heat could be added with cayenne pepper, fresh or canned hot peppers or hot sauce. This can be served over rice or just served with cornbread, which is what we did - dad likes to crumble his cornbread in the bowl and then spoon the beans on top. They had a very nice "gravy", not soupy at all.

This product may not be available in your area - my dad lived about an hour from NOLA and had a Louisiana owned store right down the street from him, which is probably where he got it. But you can go on the McCormick site to find a store using their (search) finder or you can purchase online at Amazon, Walmart, etc.

Enjoy all those dried beans you have stored!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Hope everyone is staying healthy and warm!

I'm gonna jump back into the oats and share a granola recipe that my family loves. They eat it out of hand, over yogurt or with milk. It does call for nuts and I know people may be limited to what they have on hand when the SHTF and/or to what grows naturally in their area. It calls for raisins but I have used dried cranberries or Craisins with much success as well as dried (not freeze dried) blueberries, cherries and berry mix (when I could find it in my area Sam's).

Granola

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds (sliced work too)
1 cup cashews (I have always used pecans or walnuts)
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 cup neutral oil (vegetable, canola, safflower, light olive)
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup raisins (or any dried small fruit pieces or dices)

In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts, coconut and brown sugar.
In a separate, small bowl, combine syrup, oil and salt.
Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients, mix well.
Pour mixture onto 2 sheet pans and bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour & 15 minutes, stirring a couple times during the cooking period.
Remove from oven, add raisins and mix gently to keep chunks together.
Store in an airtight container.

To extend the life of nuts, it is best to store them in the freezer. Coconut shreds or pieces keep well in the pantry until opened and then I store them in the fridge.
People pay so much for prepackaged granola and trail mixes - they are super easy to make at home. Most folks are stockpiling these items in their pantry or LTS - so, very easy to whip up a batch. I highly recommend the Kirkland brand (Costco) dried blueberries and dried cherries. And Ocean Spray Craisins go on sale pretty regularly (with coupons sometimes) and come in regular, blueberry, cherry and pomegranate infused flavors - a great way to add some different flavors.

Happy munching!
Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:47 pm

If you need to stock up on oatmeal, now seems to be the time of year to do so! Quaker oatmeal is on sale at numerous stores this month - large and/or small canisters. And Couponsdotcom has released a 1.00 off any 2 Quaker products coupon (2 prints per computer). I purchased small canisters today that were $1 each after BOGOF sale and coupon. These canisters go into our pantry for immediate use by our family. I stock up now with enough to last for about a year. If your area stores have the large canisters, these can be purchased and contents put into mylar and buckets for LTS.
Today I am providing another yummy granola recipe that contains a very popular food storage item: applesauce!

Applesauce Granola

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups rolled oats
1-1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
3 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
1 Tbsp sesame seeds

Whisk applesauce, honey, oil, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Fold in oats, walnuts, flaxseed and sesame seeds until evenly coated.
Dump onto a parchment lined half sheet pan and spread evenly to edges.
Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes, tossing midway thru to allow even browning.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week. Can be stored in the freezer as well.

Consider storing items like ground flaxseed and chia seeds - these "exotic" ingredients are super healthy and will add a super nutritious punch to your food storage. I store sesame seeds mostly for Asian cooking but they do add a nutty flavor to granola and on top of homemade buns. A lot of these items can now be purchased already packaged in Mylar for easy storage.

I think I'll make some granola this weekend! Yum!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes