• Advertisement

Recipe/Food Binder - Share your recipes & tips

Post your recipes here

Re: Recipe/Food Binder - Share your recipes & tips

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:54 pm

One item that we stockpiled at the very beginning of our prepping journey and several years later proceeded to throw out, were packets of gravy mix. It sounded like a good idea at the time but they went off in texture and flavor. I will also admit to never making homemade gravy, it was intimidating to me until I finally made myself try it. That's something that prepping got me to do - cook more from scratch!

Basic Gravy

1/4 cup butter (any oil or drippings will work too)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup flour
2 cups beef or chicken broth
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried thyme or dill weed

In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Sauté onion until clear. Whisk in flour and cook until bubbly. Whisk in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Stir in seasonings. Serve immediately.

The onions can be omitted and/or finely minced mushrooms added. Many different fresh herbs could be added at the end for a burst of flavor - sage would be a nice addition to chicken gravy.

I use a separator cup to get drippings from roasted meats. This allows me to use some of the fat in place of butter and then use the defatted drippings as all or part of my broth. The flavor is very concentrated and really good.

Be sure to have the ability to feed your family a fantastic gravy when the option of running to the store for the can or jar stuff isn't an option any more!

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby JayJay » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Use bacon grease for gravy--umm-ummm good.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks JayJay! We save bacon drippings like its liquid gold! :rofl:

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm

A close cousin to gravy would be a basic white sauce - this is called milk gravy by some and béchamel by others. This is a very versatile sauce that can be used to bind casseroles as a canned cream of soup would, be used as a layer in casseroles or spiced to make different gravies. By adding a good amount of pepper, you have a nice pepper gravy for fried meats or biscuits. Add sausage crumbles or bacon bits for a hearty gravy for toast or biscuits. Add cheese to the final step and you can make macaroni and cheese, scalloped potatoes or add to a lasagna layer. Add to spinach, kale or peas to "cream" them, make a green bean casserole or mix in with mixed veggies and canned chicken for chicken pot pie! The possibilities are endless for this versatile sauce AND it can be made with LTS ingredients! That's a win-win in the prepper world!

Basic White Sauce

1/4 cup butter (or any oil or fat)
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper

In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and stir until well mixed, hot & bubbly - about 2 minutes.
Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring until smooth. Simmer until thickened - about 7 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking or burning.
If adding grated cheese, do so at the end on low heat and use immediately.

This is a great basic recipe to keep in your books or binders that will come in handy bringing your pantry items together to make delicious meals for your family!

Mrs. FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby MrDanB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:54 pm

Hamburger-Tater tot Casserole
1lb-1.5lbs ground beef
Tater tots
Condensed cream of mushroom soup
Shredded cheese (optional)

Brown hamburger and strain off grease.
Place hamburger in a 9" glass baking dish,
Pour 1 can cream of mushroom over meat.
Add salt n pepper to taste.
Make rows of thawed tater tots over the top.
Sprinkle cheese over top of taters.
Bake at 350f for 40-50 minutes. (Taters should be browned and cooked through.

Very hearty and filling. I have added sautéed button mushrooms, onion, seasonings etc to mix it up.
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Thank you Mr Dan B for sharing your casserole recipe. It's funny that I get home from our church Christmas potluck supper to find this posted! Somebody brought that casserole tonight! Their variation was with tomato soup - hubs said it was quite tasty.

I took stuffed pepper casserole. I had put up a lot of peppers recently in the freezer so I thawed a big bag and lined the bottom of a large disposable pan with the cut peppers. I then browned a pound of ground hamburger and a pound of ground turkey with a small chopped onion. Added 2 cloves of minced garlic, some seasoned salt, pepper, 2 cups diced tomatoes (from my freezer), 2 cups of home canned tomato sauce and 2 cups of cooked rice. I spooned this on top of the peppers and baked at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Topped with grated cheddar cheese and baked an additional 15 to 20 minutes.

This feeds a crowd. I usually make half that amount and still have leftovers.
This recipe is easily converted to LTS foods.

Happy potluck!
Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 pm

A few weeks ago I shared an enchilada mix recipe but I wanted to share a more authentic homemade sauce with you that has a great flavor and is easy to make. It calls for Ancho chili powder- this is a great spice to stockpile if you like to make salsa as well. I have substituted dark chili powder in a pinch.

Homestyle Enchilada Sauce

1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup Ancho chili powder
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp dried oregano
4 cups water
1 tsp chicken bouillon (I use better than bouillon paste)

In a large stockpot, heat oil to shimmering and add flour & whisk til smooth and bubbly. Whisk in garlic, spices and chicken bouillon until smooth. Whisk in water and simmer for 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.. Cool to refrigerate, freeze or use immediately.

We like the flavors of Mexican and TexMex style foods. This has a great authentic flavor for enchiladas, burritos, huevos rancheros and taco style casseroles.
Also remember that many of these spices can be found in the ethnic foods section of the local store or better yet, at a Mexican market if your town has one. And of course, Amazon is often a cheaper alternative for spices in bulk.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby IceFire » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:50 pm

Here's my recipe (more or less) for the chicken soup I just made yesterday. This recipe makes a BIG pot of soup--after hubby and I had ours for dinner, I had 4 quart jars left over. I started it in my 5 qt. dutch oven, bud ended up transferring it to a stock pot before adding the liquid). You can adjust the amounts of the basic ingredients for a smaller(or larger!) batch of soup

Chicken Soup

1 stick butter
2 lbs cut-up raw chicken (I used boneless skinless thighs)
2 chopped onions,
2-5 cloves minced garlic (depending on how much you like--I used 5)
2 lbs carrots, sliced
1 "head" of celery, sliced (include the leaves)
1 bunch parsley, chopped
Rosemary, Thyme, marjoram, basil (the rosemary and thyme have anti-viral properties)
3-4 qts chicken broth or stock
(Noodles, pasta, or rice, as desired)

Melt butter in large skillet or dutch oven (I personally start in cast iron). Add chicken, onion, and garlic. Cook until chicken is cooked through, and onions become transparent. Add in carrots, celery, parsley, and herbs. (This is the point where I had to transfer to a stock pot. If you adjust the proportions for a smaller amount of soup, you may not need to transfer to a larger pot.) Add the stock/broth. Let simmer for an hour or more, until carrots are tender. At this point, you can eat as-is, or add noodles/pasta/rice. If adding noodles/pasta/rice, let cook for an additional 30 minutes.

Enjoy!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Thank you Ice Fire for sharing your soup recipe - it is now copied into my notebook!

We have recently discovered that we like cooking with boneless/skinless chicken thighs. We have an order with Zaycon for a delivery in March I believe. They have a great flavor and don't dry out.

This is a great recipe that can be adjusted up or down in size depending on your family or group. And as we are in the middle of cold and flu season those herbs and garlic certainly help fight off the bad guys!

Thanks again Ice!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:32 pm

I have a pot of chicken soup simmering on the stove, thanks again Ice Fire!!

We were invited to a friend's birthday celebration last summer at Red Lobster - we never go there otherwise but everyone was raving about the biscuits. They brought them out, I leaned over to hubs and said "I know I can make these at home".

Sure enough, a quick Google search gave me plenty of knock off recipes. Made them a few weeks ago and made the mistake of only making a half recipe. I was informed that next time I need to make more! So tonight we are having them with our chicken soup.

Homemade Red Lobster Biscuits

2 cups baking mix (bisquick or homemade, shared on this thread)
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar
2 Tbsp cold butter, cubed

Mix baking mix, milk & cheese together. Cut in butter cubes with a fork or pastry cutter.
Pat or roll out dough to 3/4 inch thick. Cut biscuits with a cutter or cut into squares with a knife. Place on a baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown.

Melt a 1/2 stick butter in a small pan and add 2 cloves minced garlic, sauté a bit then add 1 tsp parsley flakes. Remove biscuits from oven and brush with the garlic butter. Serve immediately.

These are super yummy and can be adapted to use freeze dried cheese and pantry ingredients.
I promise, you won't have any leftover!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 pm

I wanted to check back in and let everyone know the chicken soup was so good. I have been fighting a cold and it helped so much.
I've tried to make chicken soup before and the flavor has never been as good as this one - keeper!
Reminder that all recipes can be tweaked to fit your tastes and what you have on hand. I made a smaller batch, used olive oil instead of butter, fresh parsley, but dried thyme and chicken better than bouillon paste with water in place of stock. Add sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. The addition of fine noodles at the end was a nice addition.

And as I promised....no leftover biscuits! The guys were in heaven!

Give Ice Fire's chicken soup a try, you won't be disappointed!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:49 am

Hope everyone is enjoying this holiday season!

I had mentioned a Jell-o salad that I served at Thanksgiving in a previous post and thought I would share the recipe. I will be making it again for Christmas dinner because it is versatile and the family really enjoys it. Another reason I am sharing it is because it can use pantry ingredients that can be changed up a bit. First, you can use different flavors of jello - I choose either, raspberry, cherry or strawberry. Second, the crushed pineapple can be any canned pineapple chopped fine - say you have chunks or rings, just chop them up! Third, canned whole cranberry sauce lasts FOREVER, literally. Lastly, nuts and fresh apple are great but not completely necessary BUT these items may grow on or near your homestead or could be bartered for with your neighbors.

Cranberry Pineapple Salad

1 can (20oz) Crushed Pineapple
2 pkgs (4-serving size) Raspberry Jello
1 can (16oz) Whole Cranberry Sauce
1 medium apple, chopped
2/3 cup chopped walnuts (or any nut really)

Drain pineapple, reserving all liquid - add enough cold water to measure 3 cups; pour into a large saucepan & bring to a boil.
Remove from heat & add jello. Stir a few minutes until dissolved. Add cranberry sauce & stir until well blended.
Pour into a large bowl & refrigerate 1-1/2 hours until slightly thickened. Stir in pineapple, apple and nuts gently until well blended.
Pour into serving bowl. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.

I usually chill it in the sauce pan then transfer to serving bowl after I add the fruit and nuts. Saves washing another bowl.

This is a special holiday salad for our family that is enjoyed by most and is fairly healthy. I am sure sugar free jello could be used for those who desire.

Merry Christmas!

The ForwardPreppers Clan
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:49 am

I wanted to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

I also wanted to thank everyone for supporting this thread by visiting often, contributing and commenting. It's been a joy to share with everyone on APN!

We are having a meal that we probably wouldn't be able to enjoy if the SHTF-
Roasted rib roast, baked potatoes with all the toppings, salads, fresh broccoli from the garden and assorted pies, cake & cookies.
An abundant feast with all of the family, what a blessing.

Enjoy your time with family today!

The ForwardPreppers
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends!

Our Christmas dinner was outstanding and the fresh broccoli from the garden was an especially awesome hit with the family. This was our first real success with broccoli and we harvested enough to feed 10 adults - most of whom LOVE broccoli! We also had pecan pies using locally sourced pecans - yummy!

I wanted to remind everyone that this is a great time to snag the after Christmas sales/clearance of prepper items: paper plates, napkins, containers, ziplock bags, spices, nuts, baking items, canned pumpkin and cranberry sauce to name a few.

Wanted to share a quick bread recipe that I made a couple times to share with friends and family:

Pineapple Pumpkin Bread

3-1/2 cups flour
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 (15oz) can solid pack pumpkin
1 (8oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup chopped pecans

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. Add eggs and oil; beat until smooth.
Stir in pineapple, pumpkin and pecans. Pour batter evenly into 2 prepared loaf pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

This is an easy quick bread that stays moist even after cut. Moist to the last slice as my dad says.
It uses LTS ingredients and nuts can be optional if not available to you. As stated, this is a great time to get canned pumpkin on clearance.
It lasts for years as does canned pineapple. Quick breads are an excellent item to bake in a sun oven and can be baked as muffins too.

Happy Baking!

Mrs. FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 am

We purchase bulk meat from Zaycon, if you have this in your area it is definitely a frugal way to get your proteins. They offer discounts frequently for its customers - they email you a discount code for an upcoming product. We have purchased BS chicken breast, 93/7 ground beef, 80/20 ground beef, bacon (heavenly! THE best), sausage links, ribeye steaks, Argentina red shrimp, Lean ground turkey and BS chicken thighs. If you would like a referral code just PM me, this is a way for folks to earn credits on future purchases for sharing their love for Zaycon.

I have canned the 93/7 ground beef and the sausage links, the rest I just portion into food saver bags and freeze. They have recently started offering portioned bags - like ground beef or turkey in 1 pound bags.

Today I am sharing our favorite recipe for the lean ground turkey - it is easy to make and healthy. Another reason I am sharing is because I think it is a good recipe for any really lean proteins such as chicken, rabbit and venison.

Asian Turkey Meatballs

1 Ib. Lean ground turkey
1/4 - 1/3 cup panko crumbs* ( depending on how wet your mixture may be )
1 large egg
1 Tbsp. fresh minced ginger OR 1 tsp ground dry ginger ( I use more of the powder when using because we like the flavor)
1 clove garlic, minced OR equivalent of dried minced or powder garlic
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 scallions, chopped
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil ( you may remember my love for this oil in previous posts! )

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl combine ingredients, mixing gently w/your hands.
Shape meatballs in 1/4 cup size and place on a prepared baking sheet.
Bake until cooked through and browned, about 18-20 minutes.
Makes approximately 12 meatballs.
*Panko bread crumbs or Japanese style bread crumbs are just a larger, crunchier crumb and would be easy to make in a SHTF with your leftover bread.

Dipping sauce:
3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1-1/2 tsp sesame oil
1-1/2 Tbsp lime juice (fresh, bottled or TrueLime)
1-1/2 water
1 Tbsp finely sliced green onion
2 tsp sesame seeds (available in large bottle from Sam's/Costco/Chef Store)
Mix together in a small jar or bowl

I usually serve my meatballs with veggie fried rice - something that is a frugal, prepper friendly side or main dish. I use leftover cold rice, it fries better. I start with onion in sesame oil OR bacon fat OR butter in a large skillet, then add some fresh or canned mushrooms and a large handful of pea/carrot blend (frozen, canned or fresh). Add the rice and fry. Finishing off with a splash of soy sauce and S&P.
When I have leftover dipping sauce, I use it to marinate boneless chicken or pork chops - very tasty!

If you have leftover meatballs - which we rarely do - they can be served in an oriental flavored ramen soup, topped with sliced green onion and shredded carrot. I found some healthier ramen/noodle soup packets at Whole Foods this past year and stocked up when they were on sale.

I served the meatballs with veggie fried rice last night for dinner and even my dad liked them! It's like having takeout at home without having to go pick it up - the flavors are that good!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes