• Advertisement

EMP strikes

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

EMP strikes

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:58 am

So there has been much talk on here about EMP strikes. An EMP strike can be manmade and can occur as a terrorist strike or as an attack from an enemy nation but it can also be a natural occurrence brought on by activity from the sun. Various methods for dealing with EMP strikes have been discussed such as faraday cages and so forth. I imagine an EMP strike would be much less extreme than this video link Im posting here but Im wondering if it would be anything like this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUqNCDwQj4
Photon Guy
 
Posts: 1462
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 am
Karma: 5

Re: EMP strikes

Postby apache235 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:00 am

Not even close, but it would welcome us back to the mid 1800's and how many are prepared for that?
apache235
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:02 pm
Karma: 6

Re: EMP strikes

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:17 am

Photon Guy wrote:So there has been much talk on here about EMP strikes. An EMP strike can be manmade and can occur as a terrorist strike or as an attack from an enemy nation but it can also be a natural occurrence brought on by activity from the sun. Various methods for dealing with EMP strikes have been discussed such as faraday cages and so forth. I imagine an EMP strike would be much less extreme than this video link Im posting here but Im wondering if it would be anything like this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUqNCDwQj4



an EMP and a solar flare (Carrington Effect) have similar results/damage - but are totally different .... Mother Nature has more potential than man can even muster in a nuke - she can throw back the entire world a couple of centuries in a second - then follow up with an even worse hit ...
Illini Warrior
User avatar
Illini Warrior
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm
Karma: 49

Re: EMP strikes

Postby 3ADScout » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Just had a conversation with a friend on this very topic. We have a lot of knowledge available to us, but we all know there is a big difference between knowing how to do something and actually doing it. Consider building a house now verses early 1800's. Today air compressors and cordless electric tools rule the day. In 1800's a board axe, Adz, froe, Buck saw and auger ruled. So I think it is safe to say we could all tell someone how to build a log cabin but do we have the old tools (technology) to do that?
3ADScout
 
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:28 am
Karma: 30

Re: EMP strikes

Postby oldasrocks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:25 pm

I think you would be amazed on what some of old farts could do if necessary. When the dust settled we'd have things rebuilt in a hurry.

Like the man said- do these things instead of just reading about them. How many people would actually have the experience If an EMP to grow a garden or milk a cow or butcher? Food would be the primary problem. The building would still be here.

Raid the museums for old steam engines. Easy to run a saw mill with steam power.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network
 
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 pm
Karma: 68

Re: EMP strikes

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:53 pm

oldasrocks wrote:I think you would be amazed on what some of old farts could do if necessary. When the dust settled we'd have things rebuilt in a hurry.

Like the man said- do these things instead of just reading about them. How many people would actually have the experience If an EMP to grow a garden or milk a cow or butcher? Food would be the primary problem. The building would still be here.

Raid the museums for old steam engines. Easy to run a saw mill with steam power.


Im sure I could learn quite a bit from you. I would sure like to take a page out of your book. One old world skill I've been wanting to learn is blacksmithing and metal forging which you don't find that much today since most metal products are factory made but would be very useful in a situation where the factories no longer work. You only really see it being done with horse shoes now days, and with a few other things.
Photon Guy
 
Posts: 1462
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 am
Karma: 5

Re: EMP strikes

Postby mom2grandma » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 pm

sometimes it is good to live close to an Amish Community They are ready for an EMP
mom2grandma
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:24 pm
Karma: 5

Re: EMP strikes

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Photon Guy wrote:
oldasrocks wrote:I think you would be amazed on what some of old farts could do if necessary. When the dust settled we'd have things rebuilt in a hurry.

Like the man said- do these things instead of just reading about them. How many people would actually have the experience If an EMP to grow a garden or milk a cow or butcher? Food would be the primary problem. The building would still be here.

Raid the museums for old steam engines. Easy to run a saw mill with steam power.


Im sure I could learn quite a bit from you. I would sure like to take a page out of your book. One old world skill I've been wanting to learn is blacksmithing and metal forging which you don't find that much today since most metal products are factory made but would be very useful in a situation where the factories no longer work. You only really see it being done with horse shoes now days, and with a few other things.

We have a village smithy here. He can forge anything. The man works seven days a week just to keep up.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network
 
Posts: 5852
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Virginia
Karma: 346

Re: EMP strikes

Postby angie_nrs » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:26 am

mom2grandma wrote:sometimes it is good to live close to an Amish Community They are ready for an EMP


Are they? They might be able to fend for themselves as far as everyday living goes......but what about the takers that will be thinking the same thing you are? Sadly, they will appear to be an obvious target for the unprepared. I doubt they will be able to handle the hoards of folks magically showing up at their door. The longer an outage is, the more desperate those hoards will become.
angie_nrs
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:00 pm
Karma: 53

Re: EMP strikes

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 am

The Amish folks around here seems to be a tight knit group and I don't think it would take very long to learn to leave them alone... I have noticed lately that there is a lot of Amish folks going to the grocery store here. I also noticed that they were buying milk , butter and eggs some of them might not be as ready for shtf as we think...
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:38 pm
Location: Southern Indiana
Karma: 4

Re: EMP strikes

Postby 3ADScout » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:04 pm

mom2grandma wrote:sometimes it is good to live close to an Amish Community They are ready for an EMP


There is some truth to this but they are also dependent upon much of the fragile just in time delieverly systems that keep our society going. They have skills that will help them adapt better than a millennial attending Berkeley but. Ever see an Amish saw mill? For the most part they use generators of some other type of small engine. No gas no saw mill. Their strong belief in God and community will be in their favor but what happens when Bill Joe Jim Bob from down the street realizes just what an Anabaptist is and their beliefs? Won't go good for them unless they have some "Sheep dogs" around, which I think they will.
3ADScout
 
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:28 am
Karma: 30

Re: EMP strikes

Postby daaswampman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:39 pm

It may not be all or none! The truth - nobody knows what will happen following an EMP Event! There are too many variables to know the exact outcome, except in cheap fiction or as seen on TV. A month or two without power would sure clean out the deadwood (helpless and sickly) and mankind might be better off!

Always An Optimist - Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network
 
Posts: 7903
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: EMP strikes

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:23 pm

daaswampman wrote:It may not be all or none! The truth - nobody knows what will happen following an EMP Event! There are too many variables to know the exact outcome, except in cheap fiction or as seen on TV. A month or two without power would sure clean out the deadwood (helpless and sickly) and mankind might be better off!

Always An Optimist - Swamp



that's traditionally the old and the young - the absolute crap in between prey on both and help with their demise .... the lesser gender of the "in betweens" will suffer more also - going to be a male world ....
Illini Warrior
User avatar
Illini Warrior
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm
Karma: 49

Re: EMP strikes

Postby rickdun » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Illini Warrior wrote: going to be a male world ..


Illini, that's what they call sexist. Hillbilly Crouton, Elisabeth Poke-A-Hontice Warren, Nancy pooh pooh Policie will be offended by your comments, but I love it.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Karma: 13

Re: EMP strikes

Postby daaswampman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
daaswampman wrote:It may not be all or none! The truth - nobody knows what will happen following an EMP Event! There are too many variables to know the exact outcome, except in cheap fiction or as seen on TV. A month or two without power would sure clean out the deadwood (helpless and sickly) and mankind might be better off!

Always An Optimist - Swamp



that's traditionally the old and the young - the absolute crap in between prey on both and help with their demise .... the lesser gender of the "in betweens" will suffer more also - going to be a male world ....


Surely it will be different this time "we have Safe Zones" and we will not return to normal human behavior! I am certain the "In Betweens", as well as women and children will be treated as they are now in all areas of conflict!

I find it interesting that we just got rid of a president that was all about women's and whatever they are rights, while bringing in the Muslims to fix those problems! He was either dumb as all hell or slicker than snot! Swamp

"Arbeit macht frei" is a German phrase meaning "work sets you free". The slogan is known for appearing on the entrance of Auschwitz and other labor camps.
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network
 
Posts: 7903
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 am

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: oldasrocks and 2 guests


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors












Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer