• Advertisement

A Simple Observation

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

A Simple Observation

Postby Bubba J » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:38 am

I just thought that I'd share a simple observation from earlier today.

I went into a local HEB in order to grab some grape juice and paper towels. A normally uneventful trip. Well, it was kind of a mad house with people scrambling back and forth, bumping into each other, and me playing a real life version of Frogger. It was a good thing my boy wasn't with me otherwise he'd have surely been run over by an errant cart because he's never played Frogger. He's never been interested in those "old" video games.

An older lady stopped me and asked if I could grab a couple of cans of Reddi-Wip that she couldn't reach and we spoke briefly. As it turned out, the city issued a mandatory boil water notice for E-Coli contamination. The city folk confirmed the contamination from 2 water samples a couple of blocks apart. What has and will always amaze me is how people can completely wipe out a store of a particular product during a panic. Or rather, what their perception is as to what constitutes a panic. I have to give that older woman major credit. She didn't seem to be in a hurry, nor did she seem to give a rat's butt about the chaos.

There was not one single bottle of water in that store.....Not.One.Single.Bottle! They had plenty of juice though. The thing is, these people should already know about the importance of having water stored away in case of emergencies. Hurricanes being one of them, but nooooooooo. They panic as though it's the end of the world or something. It simply amazes me.

Well, I finally made it out of that store with my jug of grape juice and paper towels without a care in the world. Why? Because there's plenty of water here. Mostly in 5 gallon jugs, but there's cases of water too. Why can't they do the same?
“Men go to far greater lengths to avoid what they fear than to obtain what they desire.”
Bubba J
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Re: A Simple Observation

Postby mmpaints » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:59 am

Bubba, I really think it's because the general view these days is "gimme what I want right now" and the conditioning is pretty thorough. Most of those people are simply incapable of thinking more than one day at a time and surely would be lost if they had to schedule more than 2 days at a time. Besides, if it were something "major", the government will take care of them.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby divers351 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:27 am

An even shorter explanation......"Generally speaking, people are stupid." History is ripe with examples. Things have not actually gotten worse...people have always been mostly stupid throughout history. The 1 thing that has radically changed is population increase. This increase has forced all industries to "mega-size" to meet the demand of the population. The increase in population has required the people to rely on this industry. In the past when populations were lower you got water from a well or stream and food came from your garden. People have always been stupid.
divers351

Postby angie_nrs » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:43 pm

divers351 wrote:An even shorter explanation......"Generally speaking, people are stupid." History is ripe with examples. Things have not actually gotten worse...people have always been mostly stupid throughout history. The 1 thing that has radically changed is population increase. People have always been stupid.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It goes perfectly with mm's John Wayne tag line! I chuckle a bit every time I read it. :thumbup:

How much ya wanna bet most of those folks put that water on their credit card? I want it....I want it NOW.....but I'll pay for it later.....maybe. :thumbdown: So this is the new America Barack promised us eh? How lovely.
angie_nrs

Postby ColoradoPrepper » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:50 pm

Bubba J wrote:I just thought that I'd share a simple observation from earlier today.

I went into a local HEB in order to grab some grape juice and paper towels. A normally uneventful trip. Well, it was kind of a mad house with people scrambling back and forth, bumping into each other, and me playing a real life version of Frogger. It was a good thing my boy wasn't with me otherwise he'd have surely been run over by an errant cart because he's never played Frogger. He's never been interested in those "old" video games.

An older lady stopped me and asked if I could grab a couple of cans of Reddi-Wip that she couldn't reach and we spoke briefly. As it turned out, the city issued a mandatory boil water notice for E-Coli contamination. The city folk confirmed the contamination from 2 water samples a couple of blocks apart. What has and will always amaze me is how people can completely wipe out a store of a particular product during a panic. Or rather, what their perception is as to what constitutes a panic. I have to give that older woman major credit. She didn't seem to be in a hurry, nor did she seem to give a rat's butt about the chaos.

There was not one single bottle of water in that store.....Not.One.Single.Bottle! They had plenty of juice though. The thing is, these people should already know about the importance of having water stored away in case of emergencies. Hurricanes being one of them, but nooooooooo. They panic as though it's the end of the world or something. It simply amazes me.

Well, I finally made it out of that store with my jug of grape juice and paper towels without a care in the world. Why? Because there's plenty of water here. Mostly in 5 gallon jugs, but there's cases of water too. Why can't they do the same?

This is excellent preparedness information for your area!

You saw how many were unprepared for a small event and you got to see what was taken but more importantly what was left behind on the shelves during a first wave of purchasing with little notice.

Like others here, I have a list of items I do not need but would like to get more of if I knew that supplies were not likely to be renewed.
ColoradoPrepper

Postby Bubba J » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:13 am

Actually, I may be just as guilty as that horde. I went through most of the day without knowing about the contaminated water. There could have been a news report of a meteor about to wipe out all life on the planet, and I wouldn't have known about it until is was too late. I'll just have to pay attention to the news more often.
“Men go to far greater lengths to avoid what they fear than to obtain what they desire.”
Bubba J
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:52 am

That last point on awareness is a great one.

Most people these days play satellite radio, CDs, iPod, etc. and don't listen to the radio anymore. With the ability for local events to unfold rapidly that puts many people at a disadvantage. It could be a flash flood warning, the local reactor spewing radioactive clouds, a chemical tank car burst open on a rail collision, etc.

Btw- I'm often just as guilty in the above. :blush:

Regarding store rushes, yes, see that here too. It's generally every time there's been a hurricane inbound, or massive snowstorm. The observations I've had are why water and food remain at the top of my priority list, followed by fuel.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Mollypup » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:39 am

We see the same when it comes to store rushes.

I don't understand it for a Boil Order. All it means is that you Boil. Your. Water. before using it. I mean seriously? You'll see the younger generation rush to the store, but the older generations are home with a huge pot of water on the stove to put into pitchers in the frig. lol

I listen to radio on the way to and from work. I don't watch tv. I don't even have the ability to watch tv anymore. Thankfully, though, we're small and have a community page where such news gets posted immediately.....and I subscribe to the local paper online and it will update pretty quickly too.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:05 pm

Bubba: The next incredible thing is that if they don't use the water they bought for this Crisis, they won't store it for a future Crisis, either. They don't even think of it. They will either drink it (if in small bottles), or water the petunias from the gallon bottles, and then trash the bottles. Whichever, when another Crisis hits, they still won't have any water.

MP: "I don't understand it for a Boil Order. All it means is that you Boil. Your. Water. before using it."

*sigh* Mollypup, you're simply not stupid enough to understand. To follow the Boil Order, you have to know how to boil water, and they don't know the recipe. To many people, a Boil Order just means Don't Drink the Water. And SHTF, these will probably be the first people to die. Fortunately.

MMP is right.
FussyOldHen

Postby FussyOldHen » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:15 pm

p.s.

Bubba said he "went through most of the day without knowing about the contaminated water".

Do you folks know if you have Reverse 911 in your area? If you don't know, it would be a good idea to check. Don't call 911, call the 8-5 business line.
http://www.norcom.org/reverse911.aspx

HOWEVER..... If a meteor was about to wipe out all life on the planet, we would never hear about it. The Controllers would figure nothing could be done, anyway (right or wrong), and they wouldn't want to have to deal with the panic. It would be a SURPRISE.
FussyOldHen

Postby Mollypup » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:06 pm

FussyOldHen wrote:Bubba: The next incredible thing is that if they don't use the water they bought for this Crisis, they won't store it for a future Crisis, either. They don't even think of it. They will either drink it (if in small bottles), or water the petunias from the gallon bottles, and then trash the bottles. Whichever, when another Crisis hits, they still won't have any water.

MP: "I don't understand it for a Boil Order. All it means is that you Boil. Your. Water. before using it."

*sigh* Mollypup, you're simply not stupid enough to understand. To follow the Boil Order, you have to know how to boil water, and they don't know the recipe. To many people, a Boil Order just means Don't Drink the Water. And SHTF, these will probably be the first people to die. Fortunately.

MMP is right.

Well, I suppose I'm not stupid enough not to understand how to follow instructions. lol Perhaps I need to revise that somewhat as there are some "instructions" I can't make head nor tails of and have to call in reinforcements. But that is usually with something to do with techie stuff. Personally, on some of that stuff I think it's because they're determined to make the instructions as confusing as possible instead of stating the obvious in simple language. Makes them feel smarter. :floppytongue:

I agree, these will be some of the first to go after some sort of long term crisis hits. Let's be honest, some of them don't manage to survive short term crisis' either.

There are people at work who were amazed that I buy a 2 liter bottle of generic soda, use a funnel to pour this into 2 20 oz sized bottles (I save & wash them) in order to have my soda at work for less than .50 per bottle. Or that I fill them with lemonaide, water, or ice tea. It simply never occurred to them although these same people were complaining about paying 1.40 for soda out of the machine.

Makes me wonder when super inflation hits or food rationing, how long it will take them to figure out how to stop wasting food and supplies in order to cope & make it last. Some of them, such as my step daughter, will never learn.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Bubba J » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:39 pm

Well, the city lifted the boil water notice this weekend. I went into a walmart this evening and it was business as usual. At least until the next "crisis".
Bubba J
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:46 pm

MP: "Makes me wonder when super inflation hits or food rationing, how long it will take them to figure out how to stop wasting food and supplies in order to cope & make it last. Some of them, such as my step daughter, will never learn."

Many people simply don't understand the concept. If you point out what seems obvious to you, you get that blank "deer in the headlights" stare.

I recently made an offhand comment to a young woman about glass shampoo bottles in 'the olde dayes'. She scoffed at the idea: "WHY would anyone put shampoo in a glass bottle?"

They must think that plastic came with the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution. Oh. Wait. I forgot. They've never heard of the Industrial Revolution, either.

Yes, it's going to be interesting.

Keep prepping.
FussyOldHen

Postby dmwalsh568 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:06 am

Bubba J wrote:Well, the city lifted the boil water notice this weekend. I went into a walmart this evening and it was business as usual. At least until the next "crisis".

Walmart might have plenty of faults, but logistics to stores isn't one of them. I'm sure that as soon as the first dozen cases of water got sold that the regional warehouse was loading up more for delivery to the stores in the area. If the boil order continued then they could have made even more sales.
dmwalsh568

Postby Grizbrb » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:48 am

Just saw this post . I call them TWERPs ( Those With Empty Reserve Pantries ) . Then I say avoid the twerps .
Grizbrb

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion