• Advertisement

Top 50 Places To Find Supplies After SHTF

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Top 50 Places To Find Supplies After SHTF

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Interesting video I found on the top 50 places to find supplies after SHTF. I agree with much of what is mentioned in the video. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRBm0xkIP4A
Photon Guy

Re: Top 50 Places To Find Supplies After SHTF

Postby rickdun » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:25 pm

I don't know Phonton, in a real SHTF situation for me, I'd be gathering up my live stock and getting them to the barns. I have tons of fire wood that would need to be moved to the garage (30 loads), preps to be moved to a more secure location, setting up my surprise booby traps, so on and so forth.

The only nearby store is about 2 miles away, it would only take about 50 people to M-Tee it in about 20 minutes. Several stores 15 miles south of me and I ain't going to take a chance of not getting there, not getting home or somebody stealing what I have while I'm gone. I have enough preps to last several years or more for (me and the wife).

People should already have enough preps if they are serious preppers.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby JayJay » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:19 pm

For a long time, I have thought of warehousses....but, the govt. will seize those quickly.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby oldasrocks » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:00 pm

About 50,000 lazy people will watch this video and all show up at the same time while the rest of us prepared people sit at home on our pile of goodies.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:21 pm

oldasrocks wrote:About 50,000 lazy people will watch this video and all show up at the same time while the rest of us prepared people sit at home on our pile of goodies.

Yep! :thumbsup:
Stahlrosen

Postby IceFire » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 pm

oldasrocks wrote:About 50,000 lazy people will watch this video and all show up at the same time while the rest of us prepared people sit at home on our pile of goodies.

Yep. Once TSHTF, we'll lock the gate and "hunker down". The closest "store" to me is the feed store. Closest gas station/convenience store is 5 miles away, while the closest "other" (grocery, hardware, etc.) stores are 15 miles away "in town".
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:59 pm

kind of worthless list - almost all 50 mentioned are soooooo obvious - half are #1 on the "buy them bare" and then the "loot & burn" listing .... the other half are going to be utilized as relief centers, medical emergencies, detention centers, command & control and simply gathering points or possible BOLs (boat marinas & campgrounds ????? - come on) ....

you need a MUCH better imagination than this list ... if you think that the employees of these various places are leaving empty handed - think again .... their last check might be paid in merchandise

prep properly and DEEP - the vast bulk of the available resources on a daily level will be dispersed over thousands of individual homes ... if you're dreaming of living at the mall or the Costco - good chance there'll be a few walls and the rubble left for you to pick thru .....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:12 am

I would expect the majority of those to be ransacked for anything of value in short order, or burned to the ground.

Another possibility is a small to mid sized force, with their families, possibly former employees, or local PD takes it, fortifies it and holes up in it for as long as possible.
If I recall correctly, in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, a small group occupied a grocery store. But they would hand out bottled water and non-perishable food through a small door to the people outside.

Assuming the fuel is gone or what is in the tank is what is in the tank, a trip into town is likely hazardous to ones health.

Better to start a breeding program with the small and mid-sized livestock, and expand the gardens.
Last year I had five rabbits.
I now have fifteen.
And that is without trying and letting nature do their thing.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:56 am

Cast Iron wrote:I would expect the majority of those to be ransacked for anything of value in short order, or burned to the ground.

Another possibility is a small to mid sized force, with their families, possibly former employees, or local PD takes it, fortifies it and holes up in it for as long as possible.
If I recall correctly, in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, a small group occupied a grocery store. But they would hand out bottled water and non-perishable food through a small door to the people outside.

Assuming the fuel is gone or what is in the tank is what is in the tank, a trip into town is likely hazardous to ones health.

Better to start a breeding program with the small and mid-sized livestock, and expand the gardens.
Last year I had five rabbits.
I now have fifteen.
And that is without trying and letting nature do their thing.

during the 1992 Central LA Riots the Vietnamese store merchants barricaded their stores and held off the rioters for over a week ... no police assist what-so-ever - just the opposite - their relatives had to sneak thru police lines to reinforce and bring in supplies .... afterward they beefed up the storefront barricades, built bunkers on the roofs and stocked deep armories and pantries .... whole new generation without another riot - are they still ready or they now duck & run merchants like Ferguson & Baltimore ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby NJMike » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:08 am

Agree with the prior comments.

More risky to go looking for stuff that one may/should already be prepared to have.

That said, it's not a bad idea to consider local resources, or where to look for people to trade with, depending on the duration of an event and severity. In some cases, areas not emptied outright may be held. For example, if there's a group held up in a machine shop/garage and you have a need for some equipment repair, then that's something to keep on one's radar. If there's a group sitting on the roof of their store, perhaps bringing them extra water might be welcome and they might offer in exchange some goods they're protecting.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby terrapin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:11 pm

IceFire wrote:

Yep. Once TSHTF, we'll lock the gate and "hunker down". The closest "store" to me is the feed store. Closest gas station/convenience store is 5 miles away, while the closest "other" (grocery, hardware, etc.) stores are 15 miles away "in town".

I'm with Ice, rocks and Ric on this one.
The closest store of any kind (including gas stations and convenience stores) is 20 miles from me.
I'll just hunker down. Will hardly know the difference,
since I only go for supplies once or twice a month anyway.
terrapin

Postby Gunns » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Ya I think I would just hunker down too. Nearest store is 8 miles. Would't want to leave my stuff unattended.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:20 pm

here's a APN blog posting that circulating last week - goes well in tandem with this original OP posting intent ....

https://www.americanpreppersonline.com/ ... ous-think/
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby sageprice » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Sheesh! I'm amazed at you guys. First of all, SHTF can be slow like a depression or fast like an EMP. Slow will drain the system dry well before anyone can loot or scavenge. Fast and people will die of dehydration or exposure. Second, removal of law enforcement will bring on chaos, removal of services (water, septic, fire fighters) will mean death by dehydration, disease, fire. Baby, you are on your own. Who you are you going to call when the phone doesn't work. Can you rip out he plumbing for a PVC bow? Do you know how? True Twinkies will last for ever but who will have a infinite stock of them.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:24 pm

sageprice wrote:Sheesh! I'm amazed at you guys. First of all, SHTF can be slow like a depression or fast like an EMP. Slow will drain the system dry well before anyone can loot or scavenge. Fast and people will die of dehydration or exposure. Second, removal of law enforcement will bring on chaos, removal of services (water, septic, fire fighters) will mean death by dehydration, disease, fire. Baby, you are on your own. Who you are you going to call when the phone doesn't work. Can you rip out he plumbing for a PVC bow? Do you know how? True Twinkies will last for ever but who will have a infinite stock of them.

that's one of the advantages knowledgeable preppers have over the sheeple - recognizing the overall consequences of a SHTF event ... if you look at the various SHTFs there's not that many that all sheeple will recognize immediately as being that serious and having long term/TEOTWAWKI implications - that most likely means a long run up to the point there's panic and final society breakdowns - that can mean that the people with resources $$$$ will be buying up anything that has credible usage - buying until the whole JIT distribution system is drained .... whatever that's left will fall to the looters - they'll be stealing the metal shelving when the arson fires get started ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion