• Advertisement

April 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep Todayhis Week?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

April 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep Todayhis Week?

Postby IceFire » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:30 pm

Starting off this month's thread.

We FINALLY started construction on the stable :clap: :clap: Got half up the "uprights" for the first two stalls up, as well as the top 4x4s, and bracing 2x4s. We had to stop earlier than planned, as we had rain moving in. Picked up some more .22 LR (the local ranch store actually has a decent supply.)

Also made arrangements to go check out a 4-horse trailer tomorrow. I've been on the lookout for one, since we currently do NOT have a way to transport the horses any distance, and wanted something large enough that we could get both horses AND any additional livestock (such as the 3 goats) into in case evacuation were necessary (such as another wildfire.)Will check out the trailer tomorrow, and see if it meets our needs.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: April 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep Todayhis Week?

Postby theoutback » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:20 am

It started out at 4:00AM, Shovel, shovel, shovel! A mini shtf situation. We've got a ton to do, but we couldn't do a thing til we got this snow out of the way, and man was it heavy! This was just 9", but it was way worse to move than the 20" we got a couple weeks ago. Today we are finally going to finish pruning the orchards and start rigging up summer gear. Later today we are grabbing the bugout bags and heading out in the woods for a hike and cookout. Probably just going to bring some hotdogs, but we will make use of things in our bags to make camp and fire.
Attachments
DSCN2564.JPG
theoutback

Postby Cin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:10 pm

We've had a busy two weeks, one of the offspring came home from overseas and rather than pay for hotels, opted to stay with us. The trip to Walmart was an eyeopener for my city-slicker child. While we complain about prices raising, the kid was ripping around the store stocking up on all sorts of things because our prices are a third of what the same thing goes for in the city. At one point, an item was held up in awe, and kid explained that, "This is $15 in the city...and it's $3.88 here." Kid proceeded to clean out the shelves, stocking up. 4 trips to WM in 3 days as kid thought of other "basic needs." We also gave kid one of the Sam's Club emergency rations buckets with a month's worth of meals.

We then packed the kid's car (which we were car-sitting) and filled it to the brim with good stuff. Kid drove back to DC without incident.

Kid has decided to retire here as early as possible and will be checking all retirement options for what income after retirement might be. Kid also has a savings account to buy a house...that money will be re-directed to build a small home. Just for fun, we drove around looking at smaller homes, and even stopped at some shed places to show the scale of space. Kid has selected a building plan, and wants the place built and paid for before retirement. Kid plans to get a "fun" job after retirement, just to keep busy.

We went to yard sales on our usual shopping day (Friday). I got 2 Anchor-Hocking veggie bowls with lids $6, and an antique oil lamp - $35.

Grocery shopping was just re-stocking what we used.

I ended up making 8 loaves of the peasant bread while the kid was here. Kid now knows how to make it, too - made 2 loaves more for the last day and the trip home. Kid will be making it weekly back in the city. Kid stocked up on flour, sugar, salt, and yeast while here! LOL

I started my sourdough starter again. My plan is to combine it with the peasant bread and see what happens.

***EDIT: I forgot to add I started a Caloric Restriction lifestyle change last month. For my height and weight, it was advised that I only eat 1200 calories a day to lose the 40 pounds I gained in 2008. I've lost 10 pounds already, in one month.
Cin

Postby daaswampman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:07 pm

I am at work and it is raining, but I did find this on the net!!!
Attachments
talking frog.jpg
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Nice frog. Suppose if she loses her voice, she's good for a single serving of frog legs too. lol

I had a few medical/first aid items arrive this past week, so I took an inventory of my medical supplies which has helped identify a few gaps to still fill in, and some expired items to replace.

Bought more books at the Thrift store. Books included an old ARC Advanced First Aid and Emergency Care, 2 books on basketry, a 70's book on brick laying with more instruction than pretty pictures (the way I like books), and a two binder set from U of Nebraska Cooperative Extension - "Prevention and Control of Wildlife Damage". This was a great find. It had habits and information on many kinds of animals, including specifics on how to bait and trap them. The previous owner also included in the 2nd binder two other publications on predation of livestock and dealing with aquatic rodents.

My seedlings are doing fine, but my peppers are a bit leggy. I should be able to fix that though. Picked up some more containers today for the container garden.

The last Radio Shack in this area (as far as I know) just went out of business and closed this weekend. I unfortunately caught wind of the closing sale too late to get electronics components (resistors, capacitors, etc. were all gone @90% off), but I did get some AA and 9V battery packs @70% off.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Ended up purchasing the stock/horse trailer this morning. :clap: Had to dip into my savings to do so, but it is in good shape (MUCH better shape than most trailers I've seen that were being sold for more) and will accommodate ALL of the current stock of animals. of course, it can ALSO be used to hauling fence panels, corral panels, any additional livestock we might decide to buy, etc. :whistling:

It's a big weight off my mind, because my ONE worry was that if there should be another wildfire in the area, and we needed to evacuate, we didn't have a way to get the animals out. Now, that problem is solved. :D
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:53 pm

A new BOV!!!

Dropped about 60,500 mile less than the old one.

:D VERY HAPPY :D

This is it's first trip out...I had to put it thru it's paces of course..... If you get your new BOV on 2 wheels on it's first trip out, does that make it a motorcycle with lots of cargo space? :rofl:
Attachments
Ridgeline in creek.jpg
2013 Honda Ridgeline RTL V6 4X4
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Nice wheels, Dr1ven.

Ice, I see you're outshining us again.

We did the grocery shopping restocking and YIPPEE! City wide garage sale today - I scored big!

1 set T-Fal stainless steel induction pots & pans (5 pans/3 lids) - $20 (retail $100)
1 Tom-Tom GPS in box with friction mount - $5 (retail $99 + $22)
1 Kitchenaid Hand mixer - $2 – (retail $40)
1 Bunn coffeemaker - $8 – (retail $249)
1 Melissa & Doug Toy Barn with fences - $8 (retail $35)
1 Nordstrom’s Nancy Bolan tank top/sweater set - $4 (not sure of retail, but it's really nice and looks never worn)
1 computer heat-sink/fan - $2 (retail - $20 - husband is building a computer)
1 six-pack Coleman cooler - $3 (I guess it’s considered “vintage” $18 on eBay)

So far, everything is now cleaned, tested and works well, except the Tom-Tom - we have to charge the battery before we can see if it actually works.
Cin

Postby IceFire » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Cin, not trying to "outshine" anyone, but I've been feeling such a "pressure" as it were to get as much accomplished as possible that I've been scrambling to try to get things moving along. The horse/stock trailer was a lucky find...we went to the ranch store after dinner, and husband saw the ad...he told daughter to pull the phone number for me. The size was exactly what I had been looking for (ever since we got the horses a year and a half ago), the price was right, and I had the funds, so I jumped on it.

Now if I can just get everything ELSE on my horrendously long list accomplished, I'll feel MUCH better!
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:43 am

Oh, Ice, I know, I know...

We are also moving along with projects that seem to need more urgency! We have family overseas in Germany and although they are assuring us they are unaffected by what's going on (so far), it's a small country and things happen.

We've decided to enclose our deck into a bonus room. The friend who built our house will be helping.

As for today - another friend gave us a HUGE piece of ginger, and some yellow bell peppers. Peppers are diced and in the freezer, the ginger is now sliced and in the dehydrator.

The hens down the road are producing eggs again, so we're once more getting fresh eggs.

BTW, the tom-tom we got at the yard sale yesterday works just fine! husband will be programming it this evening, after he's done working in the garden.

OH! and big news - I've dropped 15 pounds on the caloric restriction diet! YAY! The first couple days were uneasy, but doable, and every once in a while, hunger pangs strike, but for the most part, now I'm in a routine, it's easy to manage.
Cin

Postby IceFire » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:30 am

Congrats on the weight loss, Cin!

We got more of the uprights and crossbeams done on the stable...one more upright/crossbeam to go for the first half of the stable, then we'll start with roofing and siding before starting on the other side....the way we're doing it, we have two stalls on each side, with a corridor down the middle, so we can do it in halves. Today after church, husband plans on roofing the middle part that connects the two sides of the greenhouse, then I can "wrap" the whole thing with the ag plastic. After that, the only thing left to finish it off will be the door and the area on the ends under the peak...easy enough to do.

My broody hen is sitting on about 2 dozen eggs....every time she gets off the nest in the morning to go eat, the other hens start adding more eggs to the pile! I think I'm going to end up cleaning out the pen in the garden where I had the turkey and moving the two roosters over there, then moving the broody and her clutch over to the separate area, just so that the rest stop adding more eggs to the pile! Hopefully, once we get the stable up, I'll be able to get the new coops built, which will alleviate the problem.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby NJMike » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Another congrats on the weight loss, Cin.

I did a little shopping this weekend.

Picked up an old radiation detection kit that I'll be looking to get fixed up. There's a place in Texas that calibrates and re-certifies these.

Also bought some more first aid items, new items, replacement items (e.g.-fresh hydrogen peroxide), and also additional fire extinguishers for home and vehicle.

Other than that, a relaxing weekend. My taxes are almost done. :)
NJMike

Postby Cin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks, Ice and Mike - the weight loss is something I knew needed doing for a few years - I'm not overly overweight, just 35 pounds, but still it keeps me from doing stuff. I need to not only get more fit, but remain in better health. I've started walking 2 miles a day with Husband and the dog again, too.

In other news - our potatoes poked their tops out of the soil in the last few days! YAY! Husband tilled the other raised bed and it is ready for planting. He filled my pots with good soil so I can have a deck garden, too. I'm planning tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, but we shall see if I get excited for anything else. I also want an herb garden, but haven't planted anything yet.

My lemon tree that survived indoors is thriving, it's almost a little bush now. The orange tree and the peach tree have leafed out, and wonder of wonders, my Mom said that the apple tree has tiny buds on it! The thing is like 6-7 years old and has never produced an apple - my understanding is that it should've started producing at age 5.
Cin

Postby IceFire » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:26 pm

When we got home from work today, we spent about 3 hours re-doing the fence around the "dog yard", since I got a call at work this morning from Animal Control...seems my "Houdini dog" first climbed the fence around the dog yard, THEN got out of the fence around the property. Animal control picked her up, then called me, so I ended up having to leave work to go meet up with the ACO back at the house to retrieve the miscreant. NOT what I had planned on doing this evening.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Husband got the other raised bed planted with green beans, lettuce and radishes. He also had to mow the grass - it's getting tall around here!

I spent the day inside baking. Made a loaf of sourdough peasant bread, a homemade sourdough pizza and some chocolate cupcakes. All was pretty darned tasty (well, I haven't sampled the bread yet).

I've made up two batches of homemade laundry detergent in the past 2 weeks, gave one to the kid to take home, the other is in my laundry storage area.
Cin

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion