• Advertisement

JULY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

JULY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby Cin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:31 pm

Started the new thread.

We have finished the 16 X 20 addition we put on our house. We enclosed part of our already covered back deck. It is gorgeous - the contractor lined the walls with cedar planks of various widths to give it a rustic feel. We also simply put OSB subflooring down, and sanded and polyurethaned it. If we don't like it later, we already have a subfloor.

We still have to do some finishing touches, and then move the furniture in there, but now Husband and I have a hobby room, instead of our living room being cluttered with sewing and photography, computers, and other stuff.
Cin

Re: JULY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby Cin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:35 pm

Forgot to add - there will be no peaches this year from our tree. We believe a raccoon climbed the tree, all the way to the top and ate the 50 some-odd peaches on the entire tree. He only missed one, because the branch broke beneath his weight. He must have tried a grab to save himself - two huge branches on the tree have been ripped off. One made a huge gouge in the main trunk - I am not sure the tree will survive. The raccoon is toast if I ever see him.

I harvested three strawberries off my porch plants, pretty tasty. The jalepenos are producing like mad, I have 5 marble watermelons, some tomatoes and peppers, and lettuce. We'll see what else pops up - oh, and a tiny cucumber!
Cin

Postby Drakenstead1 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Cin all I can tell you is that Raccoon is quite tasty if properly cooked and ghastly if it has not. In addition you need to realize that they are often smarter than a lot of humans and it can be pretty difficult to thin out the herd. If you decide to take payment for your lost peaches in raccoon meat check online for recipes and remember that those you may trap or shoot will be infested with at the least, Fleas.
You will probably find several of them will be babies or young and that they are terminally "cute". Steel you heart and remember that nits make lice. Shoot straight and be merciless.
It also might be advisable to check the laws or at least not get caught.
Drakenstead1

Postby IceFire » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:09 pm

We worked on the stable his morning. While not finished, it is at least at a point where the horses can use it (FINALLY!) We also re-arranged the corral fencing to allow them access to it, while still keeping them contained; Then we took apart the temporary stalls that they had pretty well demolished. At least now, they can stay dry when it rains!

After that, daughter and I "kidnapped" her husband's aunt from the nursing home, and took her shopping for some sorely needed undergarments, since the ones she had were too small, so VERY uncomfortable; and then took her for ice cream before taking her back to the home.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Finally completed a rain catchment system that provides shade for a shallow ground shelter. Really pleased with the camo job as it is nearly invisible from above. The right finish and a few limbs - Bingo! Everyone should have a drone! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:02 pm

Cleaned out 2/3 of the barn and white washed structural wood beams. (Made my own white wash). Organized everything when I put it back in. Don't have any animal at this time but will in a few years. Started using my supply of stored gas. I have decided to replaced with ethanol free gas, more expensive but better. Picked up 7 assorted magazines for various guns, along with 120 rounds of 5.56mm green tip. Local supplier discounted their Mountain House by 25% so I picked up 2 #10 can of ground beef. Working on the shelter area at the BOL, putting up stone on the basement walls (left over from another project) and updating electrical out lets. Got water at BOL tested and septic tank emptied. Busy week.
3ADScout

Postby NJMike » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:19 am

Right before the holiday, I resolved (I hope) an issue with an order of some long term food. In that order, I'd had some damaged #10 cans and a poorly sealed mylar bag. The company rep I originally sent the damage photos to was no longer working there apparently, and my claim over a month ago fell through the cracks. Calling back got a new rep and it's being taken care of. Kudos after I get my replacements though.

I spent half of the holiday doing a bit of incremental shopping. I picked up another Sawyer filter (even w/100K gallon life, can't have too many!), some trioxane fuel tabs, first aid items, some small multi-tool knives, a molle pouch for HT radio, and new hiking shoes.

Went through my inventory of wine and beer bottles earlier this morning, to prep for sanitizing. I've got near to 18 gallons of mead to bottle in the next few days.

Container garden is going well. Looking forward to pickling or drying jalapenos in a few weeks.

And next week, I may finally get the NJ house listed. One step closer to becoming PAMike.

And congrats to everyone posting above on their completed projects and home additions. :clap: :thumbsup:
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby farmer_dude48 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:49 am

Canned 41 pints of corn and looking forward to canning green beans this week end
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Genevieve » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:17 am

Took a 4 day weekend and hubby and I put up 384 ft ( 48 posts) of the cattle fencing we bought last month in 2 days. Hot and humid as all get out. We even have some panels left over to close in more of the property
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Siskiyoumom » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:26 pm

I have been busy taming the paper tiger and have been sorting through decades of teaching resources. Found a few gems to keep and far more to recycle. Hubby has been working on the She shed for me to move my teaching, food prep, and crafting gear into.

I had to move out of my classroom last December due to mold and rented a tiny stoage unit. I ended up with far too many boxes coming home.

My end goal is less stuff and knowing what I have versus far too much that I cannot locate or have not used.

Hope to retire in a few years and I am setting goals on downsizing and enjoying life.

Plan on dehydrating some veggies in the next few days and freezing some meat as well.

Making my lists on the major home maintaince needed to be ready for winter.

Worked on our equipment inventory and mowed today.
Siskiyoumom

Postby IceFire » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 pm

It's been a busy few days...went to take the truck to the shop to get the A/C fixed (the compressor and condenser died...but then again, it's a 15-year-old truck) after work, and it wouldn't start! The fuel pump decided to quit with no warning. So, called the Motor Club for a tow truck (stuff like this is why I have the motor club membership...it pays for itself) to the auto shop. since I was without "wheels" on Thursday, I e-mailed in that I wouldn't be at work...spent the day scrubbing down both bathrooms (the one that had the "brooder in the bathtub" in it was particularly bad); washing the bed linens and putting on fresh sheets, as well as a couple of other laundry loads; cleaned the manure out of the corral, then got the last of the panels from taking down the temporary stalls out of the corral. I actually dumped them over the fence into the goat pen, so that I could just take them out through the gate...it was easier than trying to take apart corral panels and dragging them through the corral while trying to keep the horses away. Also had daughter help me moved a spare corral panel into the corral and swap out with a shorter panel...the added length allowed us to give them a little more room.

Today, I took the three salvageable panels (a couple of them were so trashed that they are unusable) over to where the chicken coop and run are...got the one with the gate in it attached to the from of the current run, and hooked up one of the others to it. Once I fix the bottom of the third panel, (I need to re-wire the bottom of the chain link to the bottom frame piece, since the horses had pulled it apart) it will be hooked to the other panel, leaving a 10x20 run adjacent to the other 10x20 run. Once I get the new coops built, they will form the back "wall" of the run. I also attached a new tarp to one of the old kennel cover frames (that had been over the temporary stalls) and set it up as a shade/rain cover in the back yard for the dogs. One side is attached to the house, and I attached the other side to a couple of 4x4 posts that I cut from one of the "cull" posts from the stable build (it had developed a "corkscrew" twist that made it useless for the stable, but after cutting it in two, was usable to prop up the front side of the dogs' "sunshade."

After picking up the truck from the shop this afternoon, I stopped and got plywood to FINISH the parts of the stable that still needed it, as well as the 2x6's to start the framework on the chicken coops (I'll be getting more parts later, but this will at least give me a start.)
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby IceFire » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Got one of the full 4x8 plywood sheets up on the back of the stable...the others will have to wait, because we need to cut a couple of 2x4s for the top and bottom for something to attach the plywood sheets to. Also got three of the cut plywood sheets up--one to finish the outside of the first stall, and two for the inside and outside of the second stall. In order to finish that stall, the remaining pieces need to be cut narrower. Also need to get more nails before I can get the other pieces up. We will DEFINITELY have plywood left over...that will be used on the chicken coop build.

Got the new tarp onto the second kennel cover frame, and have it over the current run that the "bachelor roosters" are in, to provide shade. I wanted to et it upon the outer panels that I set up yesterday, but daughter is too short to hold it up the way it needs, so have to wait until husband can help. We also trimmed back the trees in the area where we will be putting the fence for daughter's extended dog yard, then measured out and placed the t-posts where they will need to be pounded in.

Finally, went out to the garden and harvested two big zucchini. Actually saw the smaller of the two first, and pulled it off, then saw the monster zucc! Gave the big one to daughter, and took the smaller of the two for myself and hubby. Guess what we're all having at dinner tomorrow?!
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Large zukes can be a problem to prepare. Try splitting them length-wise, hollowing out the pulpy center. Make a mixture of the squeezed pulp with Italian sausage and cheese. Stuff the zuke shells and top with more cheese. Bake and enjoy.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:21 am

i now have 2 cases of pint jars of chicken soup,5 pints of taco meat,and 3 quarts and 1 pint of bread n butter pickles..this is my first go with bread n butter pickles.so it's a matter of the waiting game,just to see how they turn out..im finally getting stocked up on extra toilet paper.
jimLE

Postby Photon Guy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:42 am

I went to Front Sight in Pahrump, NV and took a night shooting class. I then drove up to Reno and I bought more supplies. Then I drove back, got to see much of the country.
Photon Guy

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion