• Advertisement

The truth about Rice and Beans

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby Gunns » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:30 pm

So I am eating some dinner and my stomach starts to have a discussion with me.

""
Stomach:

Oh Beans. I like beans, full of protein and fiber. Lots of useful energy and no problems getting rid of it after.

OH Wait! Whats that? RICE! What are you crazy? Adding Rice to Beans is like making two by fours. How in the world am I supposed to process this? You might as well have swallowed Elmer's Glue and sawdust.
""
So this is a serious scenario. I don't see eating beans as a problem but adding rice has tendency to bound people up. Solutions? I can think of two but both then tie you to a taking pills.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby RockinB » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm glad yall are downwind....
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby sageprice » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:48 pm

(giggle) sounds like you have the same problem a lot of us oldster have. Try soaking your grains in a acidic solution over night. It help break down the starch. Google soaked flour or grain. Your poor stomach will thank you. :D
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Beans & Rice is a dish Southerners understand. Like Sweet Tea.

Northerners would need a shot of insulin after that combo.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby daaswampman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:51 pm

[snip]

15 Foods That Cause Constipation

White rice can lead to constipation because the husk, bran, and germ have been removed. That's where all the fiber and nutrients are!

Brown rice can help relieve constipation because the husk, bran, and germ have not been removed.

http://www.medicinenet.com/top_foods_th ... /page4.htm
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Whenever I eat foods that can "gum up the works", I increase my water intake...it helps. Also, apricots can help :ease things down the road".
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dmwalsh568 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:30 am

I find hot water helps move things along, that or plain popcorn usually does the trick for me. But I do stock fiber capsules and stool softeners just in case of more serious constipation.
dmwalsh568

Postby Gunns » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks for the responses. Brown rice doesn't store long does it? I thought you could only get about 5 years of storage on it.

Apricots are a good idea. Freeze dried should store well plus the make great snacks. ( almost typed snakes)
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Mollypup » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:18 pm

The rice & bean combo meal shouldn't be binding. Eating too much rice most certainly can be.

I stock fiber pills & meds for that sort of thing.........including a way to give an enema.

Nothing much worse piles & constipation. lol

Prune juice is helpful, quite. I also happen to love the stuff & it's highly nutritious too. Win/win for me. Now I see apricot juice is an option, another favorite of mine. :) Popcorn. Bran. Lots of water.

Probably good that I stock much more in beans than in rice. I like rice cooked only one way, primarily.......and while it's good, it would get old. Beans? I could eat them every day. Most people appreciate the fact that I don't eat them everyday. ;)
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby LetsPrep11 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Ice cream works for me. Not sure Freeze Dried ice cream would do the trick? :?

Hey, I remember the Dr. suggesting a spoonful of Cod Liver Oil for my youngest and it worked great. Wonder what the shelf life is?
LetsPrep11

Postby daaswampman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Gunns wrote:Thanks for the responses. Brown rice doesn't store long does it? I thought you could only get about 5 years of storage on it.

Apricots are a good idea. Freeze dried should store well plus the make great snacks. ( almost typed snakes)

I have read that brown rice does not store as well as white rice, but I have never had any that (went bad) or would know how to tell if it was bad! What I have noticed, is the older stuff needs to be soaked longer.

Perhaps I should try eating more white rice so I could experience that problem once? Nah I think I will just stay with soft and fluffy! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby Drakenstead1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:15 pm

Perhaps it might be helpful to look at the whole spectrum of diet in cultures that rely on variations of the grain & legume as a dietary base. Whether it be rice and lentils in India, corn masa and beans in Latin America or bulgur & chickpeas you'll find that there is a concurrent consumption of large quantities of green leafy vegetables with lots of onion, garlic & chilies added. Without these of course things tend to get stuck in the GI Tract. The classic pintos & cornbread of the American South is almost always accompanied by collard greens or poke salat.
This is not simply a method for movement, though that is an admirable goal but a way to assure proper balance of essential nutrients. The musical accompaniment that one often encounters and the cumulative effects of age might just have to be endured though cooking the legumes with a bit of asafetida, as done in India or the herb epazote as used in Latin America might help some even for the aged and decrepit.
So the solution at least in part is what Momma always told you.
EAT YOUR GREENS CHILD... LOL LOL LOL
Drakenstead1

Postby arkieready » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:22 pm

. Maybe once regularity is well established, new foods or low fiber foods won't challenge your system as much. As long as I eat real food I'm golden. Even if I eat a huge salad or load up on starches, even fried food. Unless.....it comes from fast food, or a gas station deli etc. got to be the ultra processing.
I don't believe I get the recommended amount of fiber everyday, but I maintain a relatively reliable schedule.
Oh, a nice hot cup of coffee........... works wonders.
Maybe a silly question, but are you FULLY cooking the rice. Al dented rice could take up water after you eat it.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:41 am

daaswampman wrote:
Gunns wrote:Thanks for the responses. Brown rice doesn't store long does it? I thought you could only get about 5 years of storage on it.

I have read that brown rice does not store as well as white rice, but I have never had any that (went bad) or would know how to tell if it was bad! What I have noticed, is the older stuff needs to be soaked longer.

Perhaps I should try eating more white rice so I could experience that problem once? Nah I think I will just stay with soft and fluffy! Swamp

Great answer. How old is the brown rice you are eating? What kind of brown rice did you put up? I have to admit I am very ignorant when it comes to rice.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Genevieve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:39 pm

add your greens hon "roughage" makes the world go round
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion